What's new

Quality issues with Merkur razors?

I have a problem with my Merkur Progress, it's a damn fine razor and it has been my favorite razor for a while but today it had an issue. I can't screw in the thread anymore. It seems like the thread doesn't grab the thing you turn for some reason. I have a Merkur 34C HD and I tried the top plate into the Progress and it works. Why doesn't the original top plate work? I decided to compare and measure their diameter.

The thread of the Progress is 0.4mm and the one of the 34C HD is 0.5mm. Also what really makes 0 freaking sense to me is the odd thread of the Progress top plate:

1700601541596.png

As you can see it's like they milled out a part of the side while the 34C HD is perfectly round. It really makes so sense at all. I added some grease on the 34CH top plate and it works perfectly in the Progress. Here is the weirdest part: the top plate of the Progress works fine in the 34C HD. I would have had no issues at all if they didn't "shave" of the sides of the thread of the Progress top plate thread.

Now I have been searching on the internet for a new top plate for the 34C HD which I'm planning to use in my Progress and some sites sell the one with the perfectly rounded thread while others sell the "bad" one claiming that the one with the shaved sides fit's in both 34C HD. This is weird because this one is the ****tier one. I did search the internet about this subject and people do get issues with the thread of the Progress's top plate.

Since the first couple shaves with the Progress I noticed on the bottom part of the thread of the base plate some corrosion. I never had this issue with the base plate of the 34C HD. So my questions are:

1) Is the top plate of the Progress just an inferior version of the top plate of the 34C HD?
2) Why did it get some corrosion while the thread of the 34C HD's top plate never did?
3) Why the heck would they use this crappy top plate while the 34C HD's plate is a perfect replacement and won't likely cause you any issues?

The thread with the flat sides indicates it is a recent one piece, cast zamak topcap from post retooling. These are unfortunately not very durable. Once the rather rough and thin plating goes, the threads will disintegrate.

Older Merkur razors have a brass thread set into the zamak topcap. Whilst these can still fail at the join, the threads themselves are much more durable and many people have razors that have lasted years (my own 34c is nearly 15 and still going strong).

It's a shame. Merkur basically made a stupid design decision (presumably to simplify production and cut costs) that is slowly destroying their reputation, as their razors are now much more prone to failure.

It's a shame. Merkur basically made a stupid design decision (presumably to simplify production and cut costs) that is slowly destroying their reputation, as their razors are now much more prone to failure.

In any type of manufacturing, the more steps and parts needed to make something, the more expensive the production cost is, generally speaking. It not seem like much, but they could have saved a whole lot of $$$ from doing that - it adds up over many units.

I do think it's short-sighted and doesn't bode well for the long term future of the company. As I mentioned before, I have not tried the new Dovo razors (made by a different company now), but perhaps they are a good substitute for Merkur. If not, there is always EJ/Muhle, which should still be fine AFAIK.

Reactions: Kix
My 34C top cap post thread is as @ivan_101 describes ("shaved off" sides on the thread post). I bought it in Q2 2022. The blade posts are a bit too narrow and allow too much blade "wiggle room."

In any type of manufacturing, the more steps and parts needed to make something, the more expensive the production cost is, generally speaking. It not seem like much, but they could have saved a whole lot of $$$ from doing that - it adds up over many units.

I do think it's short-sighted and doesn't bode well for the long term future of the company. As I mentioned before, I have not tried the new Dovo razors (made by a different company now), but perhaps they are a good substitute for Merkur. If not, there is always EJ/Muhle, which should still be fine AFAIK.

Yeah, I am sure it was after the bankruptcy filing they got the "value-engineers" in to look at cutting production costs. It's unfortunate that this is what they came up with, as it significantly compromises the quality and longevity of the product.

I hadn't seen those Dovo razors before. They look interesting. Zamak head and brass handle for circa 40 Euro, and the plating looks thick and durable like Muhle. Modern styling too...looks like it could be a winner for folks in Europe.

Yeah, I am sure it was after the bankruptcy filing they got the "value-engineers" in to look at cutting production costs. It's unfortunate that this is what they came up with, as it significantly compromises the quality and longevity of the product.

I hadn't seen those Dovo razors before. They look interesting. Zamak head and brass handle for circa 40 Euro, and the plating looks thick and durable like Muhle. Modern styling too...looks like it could be a winner for folks in Europe.

I am trying to get an answer on whether or not the bolt on the head is brass and welded on or some type of single piece Zamak casting. No answer from Dovo yet. Maybe someone fluent in German will have better luck contacting them for the info.

Reactions: Kix
Merkur quality is not that high and quality control isn't better either.
Similar to Fatip.
Fatip razors are cheap compared to Merkur. I expect better QC if you're paying more for a product. I got my Fatip OC Piccolo for 19 euro. I got my Merkur 34C HD for 55 euro. I'm not sure what the costs would be if Fatip designed an adjustable razor.

Hope the new part fixes the problem!! Keep us posted (PLEASE). :popc:
It did fix the problem. I didn't even contact them, I read on some other forums that people got the part for free. I really didn't want to wait and just ordered it. It works perfectly but for a razor that costs 70 euros I expect the quality to be top notch.

when you reassemble the head squeeze the parts together against the spring so it takes the tension off the screw mechanism - it doesn't solve the inherent issue, but may defray wear and tear.

I have tried the new Dovo razor and was very impressed. It is a very smooth shaving razor, but also very efficient. I have a number of efficient/aggressive razors and this one really surprised me.

As for the cap bolt, it appears to be all part of the Zamak cap. The female handle part appears to have a brass sleeve for the bolt to screw into. My razor is on loan, so I don’t have in hand to look at.

The finish is first rate.

Top Bottom