What's new

DOVO 42 FRITZ BRACHT, anyone have any info on this?

So, i'm new to this posting thing on here. Anyways, i recently acquired this blade. Is there anyone who can give me any legitimate information on it? it would be greatly appreciated =]

I'm not sure what info your looking for but those are one of the early Dovo's and they are very good shavers. Yours looks like a 3/8s which if it is is kind of small for shaving. Most of those were designed for trim work.

roughly around wwII? i hear smaller blades are good for detailed shaves. and do these scales look original, or repro?

Judging by the age and wear, they look original. Esp because they are missing the center pin.

edit: Its not worth forging old razor scales, fwiw. If the scales were redone, they would be probably look either really new or really pretty. And the pin would look newer than the razor.

yea, that's true. so would i be hurting the value much if i were to replace them? also how much would this go for? just curious.

yea, that's true. so would i be hurting the value much if i were to replace them? also how much would this go for? just curious.

Honestly, the value would go up if you put quality scales on it. The current scales look like plastic. The blade is stainless so its newer vintage. Thus, past the age of celluloid and horn.

However, the like others have said, the blade is tiny. I mean, really tiny. Not worth it IMHO. BUT, if you like it, go for it! :thumbup1:

edit: What exactly is wrong with the current scales? Besides the missing pin in the middle. If the missing pin bugs you, just get a rod to fill the hole.

Last edited:

You ask for legitimate information, then you ask about the whether the scales are the originals, whether replacing them hurts the value, and then you come right out and ask about the value. Since you said that you've already acquired this razor, are you asking the value so you can resell? If so, it's not endearing of you to join a forum and immediately try to price your wares.

Last edited:
yikes! sorry man, didn't think asking questions on a forum would upset anyone. I'm asking the value because I'm really into vintage and antique things, my room is full of older stuff, and I like to know the value of things, never would sell anything of mine. But yea, sorry again, just full of questions, never owned a Dovo before :blushing: but yea sorry TstebinsB.. I'll keep the questions down to a minimal for you.

yikes! sorry man, didn't think asking questions on a forum would upset anyone. I'm asking the value because I'm really into vintage and antique things, my room is full of older stuff, and I like to know the value of things, never would sell anything of mine. But yea, sorry again, just full of questions, never owned a Dovo before :blushing: but yea sorry TstebinsB.. I'll keep the questions down to a minimal for you.

I never said you ask too many questions and I didn't imply that either. My point is that the forum isn't a pricing service. There are catalogs for that purpose. While many members ask about value, it isn't their sole interest in or initial introduction to the forum.

Us shavers don't price things unless we're looking to sell it. The only other time price comes up is "is this worth the price?"

well since I'm new to this forum, i didn't know. I guess i know now. anyways, if anyone knows anything else about this such as the year it was produced or anything could you let me know. I've looked all over the internet and can't find much.

well since I'm new to this forum, i didn't know. I guess i know now. anyways, if anyone knows anything else about this such as the year it was produced or anything could you let me know. I've looked all over the internet and can't find much.

Its hard to date a razor. Pun intended. They normally have no markings other than the makers stanmp and some etching if your lucky. The most reliable dating tool is to look up the type of stamp the manufacturer used during what time period and what type of razors they were making during a certain time period. As manufacturers could have been making all their razors during a 75 year period, this obviously isn't too useful sometimes.

Another method which is not very accurate either is to look at the scales and make a guess. I would guess yours is under 60 years old.

I would say 1942 to early 1950s.

From DOVO:

Last edited:
buy it now. And just because its BIN, it doesn't represent the real value of the razor, its just what that particular seller is asking for it. Heck, value of razors is also arbitrary as its just what the highest bidder is willing to pay for it. Unless there are 100s of them available.

Most stainless razors came at the end of the straight razor period and are probably from the 1960s or later. Certainly there are exceptions and I've heard of some from WW ll era but I would guess your razor is probably early 1960s or so.

Most stainless razors came at the end of the straight razor period and are probably from the 1960s or later. Certainly there are exceptions and I've heard of some from WW ll era but I would guess your razor is probably early 1960s or so.

A few months back, after I spoke to Mike (I forget his SRP screen name) about steel and their chemical composition, I did some research on stainless steel being used in straight razors. I found out that as early as the 1920s, stainless steel was being used for straight razors in Europe and was being used for table cutlery in the US. With the arrival of WWII, steel use for straight razors curtailed. In the mid to late 1950s, straight razors made of stainless steel picked up again, especially in the US.

I know someone who had a Nazi propaganda razor and it was stainless steel. This would mean that it was from 1945 or earlier. Of course, this doesn't mean that they were common but they did exist. Nonetheless, you are right that it's more probable that the razor came in the 1960s.

Does the 42 correlate with a year usually? or do they make 42's,41's, etc for years on end? And would this be good to shave with? I know it'll take more time because of the small blade, but still. I plan on sending it out to classic shaving to get it honed, or would i just be wasting my time.

Top Bottom