What's new

What are the benefits of bowl lathering?

I face lather, and most of the things I claim as advantages for face lathering regarding the lather quality, I also see claimed by bowl latherers. I guess we have to conclude that there ain't much difference in that regard.

Three things I think bowl lathering cannot claim in equal measure are:

1) The gentle scrubbing action of a brush on the face is stimulating, exfoliating and pleasureable...IF your skin can handle it. If not, bowls are pretty much a requirement rather than a preference.
2) Building lather on the face helps to keep the whiskers in optimum condition for shaving after you complete your pre-shave prep and / or can be used as part of that prep. If you are messing about with a bowl, your whiskers aren't benefiting from that continual hydration.
3) It's quicker. Less gear to organise and clean up afterwards.

Back when I joined B&B, most folks were starting their lather on the puck, then moving to either the face or the bowl. In those days, almost all soaps apart from the Italian barber soaps were hard pucks. I still follow pretty much the same routine with anything harder than a cream. The whole "scoop a bit of soap into a bowl" thing is relatively recent following the explosion in softer, artisan soaps.

I face lather, and most of the things I claim as advantages for face lathering regarding the lather quality, I also see claimed by bowl latherers. I guess we have to conclude that there ain't much difference in that regard.

Three things I think bowl lathering cannot claim in equal measure are:

1) The gentle scrubbing action of a brush on the face is stimulating, exfoliating and pleasureable...IF your skin can handle it. If not, bowls are pretty much a requirement rather than a preference.
2) Building lather on the face helps to keep the whiskers in optimum condition for shaving after you complete your pre-shave prep and / or can be used as part of that prep. If you are messing about with a bowl, your whiskers aren't benefiting from that continual hydration.
3) It's quicker. Less gear to organise and clean up afterwards.

Back when I joined B&B, most folks were starting their lather on the puck, then moving to either the face or the bowl. In those days, almost all soaps apart from the Italian barber soaps were hard pucks. I still follow pretty much the same routine with anything harder than a cream. The whole "scoop a bit of soap into a bowl" thing is relatively recent following the explosion in softer, artisan soaps.
I'll drink to all your three points. 🍻 (German beer)

Face lathering forever!!!!

I should have noted. I kinda suck at bowl lathering and I’m making some crappy lather.

Practice make you expert, I use Spoon from 31 Flavor Ice Cream. Sampling spoon, then damp brush, seem to work on old beard.

Benefit is I can use small amounts of Soap, or add a tad if I need more soap.

Bowl vs face...
I always do face lathering with Jack Black Supreme Creme. It doesn't build fluffy peaks, and it does generate a workable protective layer on the face by lathering left side right and back a couple times. It comes out uniform. It's not thick, but it works.
Now, when it comes to soaps, the situation changes a little.
When you bowl lather, you end up with the same consistency thru the entire bowl. Face lathering allows some of the lather to be wet, and some dry.
Hate to say it, but it's one of the reasons canned foam took off. it was fast, and every spot was treated exactly the same.

I usually use a shave stick. For that, I face-lather.

I occasionally use cream from a tube. For that, I bowl-lather.

Back in the day, I used to super-stick. For that, I would bowl-lather the cream, apply the shave stick to my stubble, and then face-lather them together.

I've never used a puck.

The one thing that sucks about face-lathering is this: if I end up adding too much water to my brush, such that the lather all magically disappears from my stubble, NOW WHAT?

I reckon the lather by bowl is much better than by face. I beat the lather in a bowl for l9nger and it whips up into something glossy and luxurious.

I am still new at this but I noticed I use two primary methods, bowl and face lathering. If I have a soap puck, soap in a tube, or a soft soap/croap that is easily scooped then I’ll bowl lather. If I have a harder soap already in a jar style container then I’ll face lather. The scuttle is a neat device I have only used a few times during the colder days but my go to bowl is the Captain’s Choice copper bowl. Great responses here!
IMG_4851.jpeg

Here’s my favorite combo; Captain’s Choice copper bowl & Captain’s Choice brush.

I bowl lather using a fairly hefty scuttle style bowl, because for me warm lather is one of the joys of life no matter what the temperature outside is.

I still work the lather quite a bit on my face, because I enjoy the brush on my face too.

Best of both worlds.

There is not really much extra clean up. When done I pull the plug in the sink, then a cold rinse on my face and I use an alum block. I’ll then use the water from the scuttle to rinse around the sides of the sink and swoosh all the stubble off. Rinsing out the lather from the bowl is done as part of cleaning the brush. Then I’m ready to rinse the alum of my face and go to the post shave.

I bowl lather using a fairly hefty scuttle style bowl, because for me warm lather is one of the joys of life no matter what the temperature outside is.

I still work the lather quite a bit on my face, because I enjoy the brush on my face too.

Best of both worlds.

There is not really much extra clean up. When done I pull the plug in the sink, then a cold rinse on my face and I use an alum block. I’ll then use the water from the scuttle to rinse around the sides of the sink and swoosh all the stubble off. Rinsing out the lather from the bowl is done as part of cleaning the brush. Then I’m ready to rinse the alum of my face and go to the post shave.
Almost exactly my routine @Coler. Great minds think alike! :biggrin1:

Best of both worlds.

Yep. This is what I do. Best of both worlds.

The one thing that sucks about face-lathering is this: if I end up adding too much water to my brush, such that the lather all magically disappears from my stubble, NOW WHAT?
Make another load from the stick or puck being used as a stick and take the wet residual from the soap and apply it your face.
Of course, you'll end up with a few day's worth of lather, but then again - it's just soap

Last edited:
Rinsing out the lather from the bowl is done as part of cleaning the brush.

Yep, that's one little hack I figured out too. After I rinse the soap out of the bowl and give my brush its initial rinse, I then proceed to let the water run into the bowl while swirling my brush around well. This gets the rest of the soap out of the brush while simultaneously preventing soap scum build-up on the bowl.

Well, that's what I do when I bowl-lather. Which isn't very often.

Top Bottom