What's new

Dorko Solingen slant

I've recently came across a bounch of these in NOS/mint condition and I was wondering if they are uncommon (or ''rare'' like some folks say) and if they are good shavers or worth buying them? I've got the pictures from a random shaving Facebook group and are not mine.

278803137_5213642148678805_242299928704047006_n.jpg
279077203_5213642028678817_7822685767046522220_n.jpg

Very nice.
I always fear zamak "rust/rot" in all old Merkur and similar products. Must check the threads and studs......once it starts.....it's over

Very nice.
I always fear zamak "rust/rot" in all old Merkur and similar products. Must check the threads and studs......once it starts.....it's over

Yeah, I guess these are all made out of zamak, but the good news is that they were never used, but some look a bit tarnished probably because of the poor storage over the years.

R

romsitsa

Can be called uncommon as the majority already rotted away. Quality can vary as these are 100% zamak castings. The box is nice.

Can be called uncommon as the majority already rotted away. Quality can vary as these are 100% zamak castings. The box is nice.

Are they sought after collectors and shavers? Obviously, a zamak razor woudn't be the super desirable, but there're plenty of other vintage German made zamak razors that people want to own like the Rotbarts for instance.

Looks like the Merkur Classic handle with the slant head. Also looks like a chrome finish so unlikely to have any corrosion.

Wouldn't place high bets on this. Rotbarts are in a totally different league, imho.

Well Rotbart as a brand is definitely more famous and known than Droko, but from what I've heard, they aren't that rare or great shavers and on top of that, they are also made out of zamak.

I find Dorko razors are about the same quality as Nerdo, and a bit better than Geeko, in my experience.

Their straight razors are highly regarded and after all - it's made in Germany and not some made in China product under some western license or something :D.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I think those are dual sided -- one is milder than the other. Any pics of the other side safety bar? If it has more than the ten grooves you've shown it is the dual shaver or "fixed adjustable" and a worthy addition to one's arsenal. I've got a number of early Zamak razors and don't get all worried about it, they're fine.

I think those are dual sided -- one is milder than the other. Any pics of the other side safety bar? If it has more than the ten grooves you've shown it is the dual shaver or "fixed adjustable" and a worthy addition to one's arsenal. I've got a number of early Zamak razors and don't get all worried about it, they're fine.

I think that's the dual sided one, because one of the few owners mentioned something like that a few weeks ago when he got his. Heres another picture from another owner.

275907629_128971563024762_3164020883036494719_n.jpg

R

romsitsa

Well Rotbart as a brand is definitely more famous and known than Droko, but from what I've heard, they aren't that rare or great shavers and on top of that, they are also made out of zamak.
The comb and neck on some models are zamak, the rest is brass or aluminum. The razor you posted is a generic slat with a Dorko paper tag.
If you pay premium, you pay for the tag.

The comb and neck on some models are zamak, the rest is brass or aluminum. The razor you posted is a generic slat with a Dorko paper tag.
If you pay premium, you pay for the tag.

I didn't pay anything yet, not was I arguing about anything. All I'm saying is that Rotbart razors (for me at least) are not worth the hype they have, but to each their own.

R

romsitsa

I didn't pay anything yet, not was I arguing about anything. All I'm saying is that Rotbart razors (for me at least) are not worth the hype they have, but to each their own.
No razor is worth the hype, except I am the seller ;)

No razor is worth the hype, except I am the seller ;)

I'd say it depends on the price. There are plenty of good shavers both modern and vintage that can be bought quite cheap and with minimal care can outlast it's owner and the owners after him, but folks don't care about the super common and inexpensive razors.

Almost everyone wants that specific vintage or modern razor that no one has whatever if it's for his own pleasure to shave with or just to take pictures and post them on the shaving forums and groups or perhaps a bit of both.

I'm guilty of this too - I always think that the next razor is going to be the perfect one and my last razor, but no matter how good the last razor shaves, a new one always comes up and I want it.

For instance, I want a Toggle despite the fact that I have a Fatboy (which I've got quite recently), Slim and Super Adjustable 109. Is the Toggle going to be a better shaver compared to the other 3? Probably not, but it's cool looking and I want one and so does pretty much everyone else, but as a much more advanced collector like yourself, I think you already know these things much better than me.

I'd say it depends on the price. There are plenty of good shavers both modern and vintage that can be bought quite cheap and with minimal care can outlast it's owner and the owners after him, but folks don't care about the super common and inexpensive razors.

Almost everyone wants that specific vintage or modern razor that no one has whatever if it's for his own pleasure to shave with or just to take pictures and post them on the shaving forums and groups or perhaps a bit of both.

I'm guilty of this too - I always think that the next razor is going to be the perfect one and my last razor, but no matter how good the last razor shaves, a new one always comes up and I want it.

For instance, I want a Toggle despite the fact that I have a Fatboy (which I've got quite recently), Slim and Super Adjustable 109. Is the Toggle going to be a better shaver compared to the other 3? Probably not, but it's cool looking and I want one and so does pretty much everyone else, but as a much more advanced collector like yourself, I think you already know these things much better than me.
Totally agree on your words. Hunting for me perfect razor resulted in a collection of about 150+ razors and the wisdom that my technique is all of the problem.

Totally agree on your words. Hunting for me perfect razor resulted in a collection of about 150+ razors and the wisdom that my technique is all of the problem.

The technique is very important, but everyone has a different face, skin, thickness of whiskers, density and direction of the stubble and no two people get absolutely the same shave even if they use the same products.

Top Bottom