What's new

Dollar Store Containers to the Rescue

The only issue I have with the Ball jars is that some of them don't stack.
Put the hell pipe in front of them and say "stack or else, or else i will call upon the evil that only shows its head thru the shadows of the darkest souls" that should do it, or you know a hammer of some kind lol

ill be sure to pay attention when i buy, although stacking can lead to smashing so ill take that into account too

Put the hell pipe in front of them and say "stack or else, or else i will call upon the evil that only shows its head thru the shadows of the darkest souls" that should do it, or you know a hammer of some kind lol

ill be sure to pay attention when i buy, although stacking can lead to smashing so ill take that into account too
:lol: , it's not so bad when you got a few jars, when you get to over 100 it becomes a storage problem, I use these...
proxy.php

They are ideal because they are just right for a 50g/2oz. tin and they have a wide mouth so it's makes it easy to pinch out a bowl, I store on edge in dresser drawers which has worked out well.

:lol: , it's not so bad when you got a few jars, when you get to over 100 it becomes a storage problem, I use these...
proxy.php

They are ideal because they are just right for a 50g/2oz. tin and they have a wide mouth so it's makes it easy to pinch out a bowl, I store on edge in dresser drawers which has worked out well.

ill take them, loaded of course ! lol, that of course must be the private selection for weekend use

I predominately use small mason jars for long term storage.

I've got some tobacco in cheap jars with the wire clasp but I'm sure the seals are useless. I haven't checked in awhile. I had no free mason jars at the time and I had to get the bulk tobacco out of plastic bags.

I think if you have some small jars with a clasp then they are good to have on your desk or something for day to day smoking.

I predominately use small mason jars for long term storage.

I've got some tobacco in cheap jars with the wire clasp but I'm sure the seals are useless. I haven't checked in awhile. I had no free mason jars at the time and I had to get the bulk tobacco out of plastic bags.

I think if you have some small jars with a clasp then they are good to have on your desk or something for day to day smoking.

I only have a few flavours for day to day stuff around thats why i used them, i needed something right away for the two tins i got a few days before, ill look into some better ones, for longer terms when i have more stuff that needs it

They are fine for that purpose, as far as I can tell.

Where I don't smoke so much, I still haven't find a good compromise container. The clasp jars don't last, and the mason jars aren't meant to be opened, so I don't know if there's anything I can use that has good longevity but is more convenient to access without compromising the tobacco.

I probably just want to have the cake and eat it too...

They are fine for that purpose, as far as I can tell.

Where I don't smoke so much, I still haven't find a good compromise container. The clasp jars don't last, and the mason jars aren't meant to be opened, so I don't know if there's anything I can use that has good longevity but is more convenient to access without compromising the tobacco.

I probably just want to have the cake and eat it too...
I open one to three of my Ball jars daily with no ill effects. As far as I can tell they are all completely air tight even after dozens of openings.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I open one to three of my Ball jars daily with no ill effects. As far as I can tell they are all completely air tight even after dozens of openings.
And replacement lids (just the flat part, not the ring) are dirt cheap.

Red Horn,

I mostly hear Ball jars discussed in relation to tobacco cellaring. If you open a jar that you are "aging" then it restarts the aging process, as far as I understand.

If you are just using the jars for short term storage of tobacco that you plan to smoke in the near future, then I can't see too much of a problem. (Unless they are huge jars with empty airspace, which may not be ideal)

I personally have several small Mason jars full of tobacco that I pick at occasionally, and so far so good. I have noticed a tendency for them to get a bit drier than I'd like with frequent openings, however. YMMV

Red Horn,

I mostly hear Ball jars discussed in relation to tobacco cellaring. If you open a jar that you are "aging" then it restarts the aging process, as far as I understand.

If you are just using the jars for short term storage of tobacco that you plan to smoke in the near future, then I can't see too much of a problem. (Unless they are huge jars with empty airspace, which may not be ideal)

I personally have several small Mason jars full of tobacco that I pick at occasionally, and so far so good. I have noticed a tendency for them to get a bit drier than I'd like with frequent openings, however. YMMV
Yeah you put the bulk of the tobacco in the big jars and cellar them long term undisturbed and you put small quantities in the smaller jars that you will be smoking from.

Red Horn,

Yes. All my tobaccos are for smoking now. Have nothing cellaring. If I sense one becoming a little dry I drop one of those little pill type moisturizers saturated with distilled water in overnight.

I've got 25+ tins on hand, plus numerous long-term mason jars, and a handful of these dollar-store containers that may or may not be ruined. They contain aromatics that were too wet to begin with and that I didn't really love so it is no big loss. Judging from all I've read, however, they are still probably salvageable.

I'm only smoking Escudo at the moment and I tend to take a few coins out of the jar when I need them and store them for a few days in my last Escudo tin. If I need to rehydrate then I do the same as you, drop in one of the moisturizers. It does a good enough job and I haven't had mold growth.

I went through more sophisticated methods of rehydration but it is not worth it, in my opinion.

Not that I'd do it, but if you are going to smoke the stuff in a couple days then even the old "apple trick" would suffice. (I am not recommending that, for the record)

Top Bottom