What's new

Does red case style indicate year of '49-'50 Super Speeds?

BTW - how intact would you want a case to be? The one still at the shop has one corner broken. Would that matter to you if it had a decent SS laying inside it?

Actually if the case is actually broken, It would be a deal breaker.
John

My everyday razor is a SS in the red case and I leave the top open when not shaving. Two reasons for it are it LOOKS better that way and I believe it helps moisture evaporate and protects the blade.......dunno if that is scientific fact or just my OCD.
Wp

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
BTW - how intact would you want a case to be? The one still at the shop has one corner broken. Would that matter to you if it had a decent SS laying inside it?

Not to me it wouldn't, and I suspect it wouldn't to most collectors.
The cases break easily, and most people familiar with them know it.
Having said that, if the case is broken, I wouldn't pay any real money for it without the razor in it.

Oh, well. I had hoped we could determine year of manufacture by these codes, but there is no clear pattern. Thanks for checking your cases, everyone. Our data by style:

Notched:
B-3
B-3
B-4
B-5
B-5
C-3
C-3

Not notched:
A-4
B-2
C-2
C-3
C-4
C-5

These cases are made of polystyrene, I believe. If you have the broken piece, apply a drop of plastic cement. I repaired a hinge pin that broke off a case I gave as a gift recently. The break was barely visible afterward, and quite strong.

I´ve found this two Ad´s from 1950 (left) and 1951 (right). It looks like the case without notches is older. Nice new collectors information.

That's an illuminating discovery, Achim! I appreciate your resourcefulness. It seems to make sense that Gillette would have added, not removed, the center tab and side notches/grooves in the second design.

Top Bottom