What's new

Does red case style indicate year of '49-'50 Super Speeds?

The 1948, 1949, and 1950 Gillette Super Speed razors have no date codes, making them difficult to differentiate. The 1948 model did not come in a red plastic case, but the 1949 and 1950 models did. While the razors have no differences, I noticed a variation in detail between some cases of this type.

Some of the red plastic cases have a notch down the left and right side of the plastic, through both the clear and red pieces, perhaps to accommodate sliding into a display at the store. The razor's head is angled forward. This seems to be the more common case design.

proxy.php

Some cases have no notch, and the razor's head lays flat. I don't see this design as often.

proxy.php

Is this an indicator of year of manufacture, location, or something else? Any ideas?

You are very observant. I hadn't noticed this. I think you need input from AsylumGuido and/or Achim (mr-razor). On the mr-razor site, he shows a razor in a case with the notches which he simply identifies as "1949-1953 Superspeed in red styrene case".

regards,
Tom

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Very interesting! I hadn't noticed this. Are there any difference on the backside of the bottom?

I have one of each type, and aside from the shape of the outside, and inner compartments being different, all of the printing on the back is identical in every way.

I noticed this some time ago but could not see any differences with the razors they came with. I have 3 with the tilt up piece and 2 that lay flat and do not have the tab that sticks up in the blade holder area.

Len

I no longer have a notched case, Achim, but I don't recall any differences on the bottom writing, such as patent numbers. I appreciate Phil's side-by-side comparison.

One more detail... while the razors themselves are not coded, it seems the cases are. Look inside the blade compartment of your case. There is a letter and a number pressed into the red plastic, oriented upside down in my case. Mine is C-5, and I have a case without notches. Perhaps we can post our numbers in this thread, and spot a trend between notched and un-notched cases.

One more detail... while the razors themselves are not coded, it seems the cases are. Look inside the blade compartment of your case. There is a letter and a number pressed into the red plastic, oriented upside down in my case. Mine is C-5, and I have a case without notches. Perhaps we can post our numbers in this thread, and spot a trend between notched and un-notched cases.

Just checked mine. Inside the blade compartment is written C-2
Wp

I have B5 in my notched case. But maybe that´s a number from the molding tool and not a date code. I´ve check a second notched case: B3

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My Notched has a B3 and my No-notch has a C2, I have noticed this numbering on other cases as well, and wondered before if it was just a tooling mark or some type of date coding.

There's an empty case just like that sitting in a shop near me...have not picked it up b/c I had no idea which SS it's supposed to go with.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
There's an empty case just like that sitting in a shop near me...have not picked it up b/c I had no idea which SS it's supposed to go with.

Now you know.

Public Service Announcement made possible by B&B.

Go snag that up my friend, and do so on every single case you ever find. These cases didn't hold up well over time, so there are a LOT more razors than there are cases, and a case with a set can make the difference in a sale.

Now you know.

Public Service Announcement made possible by B&B.

Go snag that up my friend, and do so on every single case you ever find. These cases didn't hold up well over time, so there are a LOT more razors than there are cases, and a case with a set can make the difference in a sale.

Yep, perfect match for that non-dated SuperSpeed you just picked up.

Just checked mine. The marking inside the blade compartment is A-4. The case is the non-notched variant.

I suspect that it's a mold cavity identifier and probably has no known relation to production date.

-- John Gehman

The mold identifier seems the best explanation, as there seems to be no correlation to notching.

Our data so far:

A-4: No notch
B-2: No notch
B-3: Notch
B-5: Notch
C-2: No notch
C-3: One notch, one no notch
C-4: No notch
C-5: No notch

Len, I hadn't noticed the tab that sticks up in the blade holder area on the notched variant. I was too focused on the notches/grooves. Thanks for pointing that out.

Maybe vendors had an option to choose one style or the other, based on the display case they used. I can't think of any other reason for the notches. If anyone can shed further light on this feature, please share your comments.

BTW - how intact would you want a case to be? The one still at the shop has one corner broken. Would that matter to you if it had a decent SS laying inside it?

Top Bottom