What's new

Does anyone think...

SLider said:
Well Mason, I own a slant and I find it no different than my HD... in fact, I would be inclined to say I get less irritation with the slant than I do the HD, and ended up selling the HD because of it.
Thank you. I will eventually pick one up to try it. Good to read a positive comment about them.

I think it is partially the visual effect. The multi-blades are enclosed in plastic whereas the HD has a more exposed blade. Moving up a notch, the slant has an even more exposed blade. Then there is the straight, nothing but blade.

Ron

I've been cut pretty good a few times from shaving cartridges. Of course, anything sharp against your skin.... razor blades and wild, loose women, for example, could be considered "dangerous."

A horse, of course, is much less remorse for a course; who's to say that cars are any more safer of a way to get around?

I love to see people's reaction when they learn of my interest in straight razors. "No, I don't COLLECT them, I shave with them!"

After a few months now, I can quickly finish up a DE (I'm using a Slant, too, by the way), shave in the same time that I could with the cartridges.

It's all relative, folks, the concept of danger.

I gotta run.... my "date" just showed up on her horse.

-joedy

Joedy said:
I've been cut pretty good a few times from shaving cartridges. Of course, anything sharp against your skin.... razor blades and wild, loose women, for example, could be considered "dangerous."
I think the razor are blades are far less dangerous :biggrin:

Slant bar just looks mean...that thing IS scary, at least to me....and I shave with straight razors.

Really the key to using any blade safely (including straight razors or Feather ACs) is control. Best way to get control is slow, deliberate movements. Hold the blade securely and firmly, but avoid "death gripping" it...that will lead to a shaking hand.

Once control is out of the way, the only nicks and cuts will be minor ones from not paying attention to the curves of your own face, a touch with a styptic pencil will fix that.

Oh, and don't straight shave on days where you have the sneezes...it's possible, but it's very unnerving.

SLider said:
That sometimes we make shaving with DE to be much harder and much more dangerous then it is. I read a lot of the posts from our new guys, and a lot of the time there's a tone of "whew, I made it through my first DE shave." Almost as if there was a serious chance of permanent scarring or death. I almost worry that brand new readers can get the impression that this is way more difficult than it is and just end up sticking with a cartridge razor. It's not like learning to ride a unicycle while juggling flaming clubs... It's shaving.

Excellent point. I've had a few nicks, some that stung with styptic, some that bled for a few moments, some razor burn, but all of this as unpleasant as it may be is thoroughly endurable. Shaving is shaving, it's fun, it's enjoyable, but at end it's shaving not navigating a mine field blindfolded. Billions have learned and billions more will learn in time. No newbie should be intimidated because it's not lifethreatening in the slightest. It's possible we make it seem more challenging because we put in so much effort to acheive that perfect shave we crave.

Top Bottom