What's new

Does anyone not like polsilver/wizamets?

Stocking up on a high end de blade, it's these or maybe Feathers. Doing the 2020 no buy thing. Already have nacets, vokshhod,Astra sp, Astra ss 100sleaves plus random stuff.

Most people find Polsilver to be at least comparable to Wizamet SI, so you might save yoruself a bit of money. That or buy a tuck or two of each if you find a good price!

I prefer the Wizamet of old, but we will see with the newer blades. I think my recent purchase netted me 2017 blades.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I find the Wizasilvers the best PPI blade out there for me. With the GSB a very respectable runner-up.

The Feather is a very different blade imo. Almost uncomfortably sharp for the first 2-3, then it falls off a cliff. Short legs at a high price. Not my cup of tea. Ymmv.

Don’t overlook the 7OC Black and the US Personnas in your travels. These are both excellent with long legs, too. But both cost a bit more than the PPI blades.

You already have a lot of Nacets. They are within shooting distance of Feathers and Polsilvers. You already have over five years worth of blades and are going to go on a one-year sabbatical to use some of your stash. Do you really need more blades right now? It might just be a case of RBAD coming on. :laugh:

You already have a lot of Nacets. They are within shooting distance of Feathers and Polsilvers. You already have over five years worth of blades and are going to go on a one-year sabbatical to use some of your stash. Do you really need more blades right now? It might just be a case of RBAD coming on. :laugh:
Very true lol. I also have a sleeve of Gem single edge, and way over 5 years. I usually get a month off blades.

What I do NOT like about them, is that they are just not readily available at my point on the globe (yes, Earth is indeed spherical). I much prefer to support traditional brick-n-mortar businesses (Maggard's being my "local" shop here in Michigan, USA), and they just cannot seem get them from their supplier. Yes, I know I can order them from on-line sources (maybe), but that's just not for me (especially without even having had an opportunity to TRY them). All this top-secret mystery about their production, accessibility, distribution, naming... is it real or manufactured in the attempt to add to their appeal? We all WANT what we can't have, right? I'll stick with the Gillette Silver Blues that I am confident will continue to be easily attained from my local vendor and are assured to perform up to their high standards. Though I sure would like to give those PolSilvers / Wizamets / / Super Iridiums / Uranium 238 Space Modulators a try some time!

I think it's a very good blade, but so are a lot of other ones. I think the Wizamet/Polsilver "cult" is over the top in their frenzied quest to obtain these at almost any price from far flung places. I can get a great shave from any modern Gillette blade made in Russia, India or China. There is no "Holy Grail" blade.

I paid $35 for 150 of the Wizamet blades. I think Feathers are around 20-25 per hundred? That puts them comparable IMO.

I wouldn't pay much more for them, though. I saw they were discontinued and went onto the bay out of curiosity, saw a decent price and got some :)

Are there cheaper blades to be had? Absolutely.

Wyzamets and Polsilvers are the same blade. There is NO difference but the packaging. Wyzamets are much cheaper than Polsilvers though, around $50 per 250 or 20 cents a blade, so while still a bit pricey they're not ridiculously expensive.

Yes, there are people who don't like Wyzamet/Polsilvers. Polsilvers aren't the sharpest blade out there - not as sharp as Feathers, Nacets, Perma-Sharp Supers, and some others. They're more of a balanced blade of sharpness and smoothness, that's what Wyzamet cultists like me love about them.

So the decision point is really, do you want an uber sharp blade, if so, Feathers. Or do you want a well balanced blade, if so, Wyzamet/Polsilvers.

Wyzamet/Polsilver:
Sharpness: 7, okay maybe 7.5 but no more than that
Comfort: 10, or a Spinal Tap 11. They are seriously smooth blades
Longevity: 8

Feather:
Sharpness: 10
Comfort: I will say 5, because I find them waaaay to drama-full and they irritate my skin
Longevity: 4 - Feathers are good for a few shaves, for most people. I get three shaves and they're toast.

If you wanted to try a slightly different direction on a higher end blade, there's always the GSB:
Sharpness: 8.5 - definitely sharper than Polsilvers, almost as sharp as a Nacet, not as sharp as a Feather
Comfort: 9.5, a supremely smooth blade verrrry close in comfort to a Polsilver
Longevity: 9
So here we have a blade that isn't best in any one category but is near the top in all of them

These ratings are just my opinion and others will have their own opinions, take it for what it's worth.

I keep boatloads of Wyzamets and GSBs on hand and rarely use anything else. Sometimes a 7'Oclock Yellow or a Gillette Platinum and when I'm in a frisky mood, a PermaSharp Super. They are all premium blades and all good choices.

Back when I was still using modern blades, I used both the Polsilver Super Iridiums and Wizamet Iridium Supers among a few others. They are indeed the exact same blade, the only difference was the Wizamet only came in tucks of ten and the PSI in tucks of five. I found them to be among the best blades available. There were others in that top spot but Feathers wasn't one of them. Feathers, for me, were among the worst blades I've ever experienced.

I like polsilvers. But I have to side with those who say that they are not world's apart from cheaper good blades. If you gave me a choice between 100 free polsilvers, gsb's, astra sp, nacets, I'd choose the polsilvers. Because they're the most expensive and I'd be more inclined to use them until they gave out. But if I had to buy them, I'd go for a cheaper alternative. I'm not even sure I'd purchase GSB's again, since astra and nacets are much cheaper and still provide a great shave. Not to mention that there are other blades from India that are dirt cheap and probably shave 90% as well.

But I do like polsilver, not trashing the blade in any way.

Why the Voskhods, though? Were you misled? Cruelly betrayed?
We are told Voskhod means "sunrise" in Russian. It was also the name of one of their early manned space missions. These missions used repurposed launch vehicles from military satellite programs. The space capsules were extremely cramped and uncomfortable, as well as dangerous for the Cosmonauts; they did not have many safety systems in place if things went wrong. Perhaps there is some symbolism here. :smile1:

If anyone is a glutton for punishment, IB has them for 5.99 right now. I’d pay .99 with free shipping. Maybe.

They work to score dough for breadmaking lol. All jokes aside (but seriously, they do work), I wanted to like them but they just didn't work for me.

I think it's a very good blade, but so are a lot of other ones. I think the Wizamet/Polsilver "cult" is over the top in their frenzied quest to obtain these at almost any price from far flung places. I can get a great shave from any modern Gillette blade made in Russia, India or China. There is no "Holy Grail" blade.
Agree. I dislike cult blades on principle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PolSilver SI is at the very top of my list of favorite blades. It's a short list but it comes in the number one spot. I've not tried the wizamet blades. When I last searched for them, on that website that shares its name with a rainforest, I couldn't find them.

PolSilver SI is at the very top of my list of favorite blades. It's a short list but it comes in the number one spot. I've not tried the wizamet blades. When I last searched for them, on that website that shares its name with a rainforest, I couldn't find them.

You'll never find Wyzamets on the rainforest site. The Wiz is strictly a gray market item, not for sale through established retail channels anywhere in the US.

You'll never find Wyzamets on the rainforest site. The Wiz is strictly a gray market item, not for sale through established retail channels anywhere in the US.
Ah....so, should an interested person with a few bucks to spend want to buy some, where might one refer him?

Top Bottom