What's new

Does anyone else judge men on tv quality of shave?

I’m watching QVC and there’s a gentleman with what looks like a minimum of 3-4 days of stubble. I’m looking at him thinking how can he sell anything with that hobo beard? Does anyone else critique men on tv, internet or on the street based on wether they shaved or not? To me a 5 O’Clock shadow just seems so unprofessional, but that’s just me.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I quite often check out the actors face on a close up shot to see if he has shaved and then I try to imagine if he has used a cartridge razor or used DE razor.

Yup admittedly I do but I seem to pay more attention to razor burn/irritation etc than the growth. Cant help it..its just something that seems to stand out alot more since taking up traditional wet shaving..

Yeah it’s been all too common for years now. It’s like almost expected of someone on tv or society in general. Total group think in my opinion. I live in a college town in Oregon and seems like most young men here have facial hair or some semblance of it. I am middle aged and clean shaven but feel unique with it... amongst a sea of beards and scruff.

A beard is one thing. That three-day stubble thing looks like either someone doesn't care or can't grow a beard. "Hello: Miami Vice called: They said it didn't work for Don Johnson, and it's not working for you."

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I always pay attention and what really bothers Me is when
you have a series on that you watch on tv and see the same growth and thick stubble
week after week always the same length, the same 5 day growth all season
Also I remember around 3 years ago I had to have back surgery and met with the surgeon and noticed
that He had nicked himself shaving that morning ,made me wonder :)
2014-06-14-emmettkelly-thumb.jpg

Last edited:
I like stubble, prefer it to clean shaven (go 2-3 days between shaves). Granted I keep the cheek and neck lines in check. There was a time I'd go over my face with clippers and no guard to keep the stubble look.

It worked great for Don Johnson. Colin Farrell makes it work. But they're in a different league from Joe Average.

Check out this article from 1986 about a gadget from Wahl. The quote is right on:
"Most men who want the Don Johnson look have trouble getting their stubble right. Too often they end up looking like Yasir Arafat."

New York Magazine

I much prefer clean shaven, a neat mustache is ok though. The bearded face I don’t like. I dislike both stubble and also the unkempt lengthy beard. If you are going to wear a beard, keep it short and neat.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Man it’s the homeless look. I’ve never understood how you manage to have a three day growth every day. How do you get that fourth day off?

Man it’s the homeless look. I’ve never understood how you manage to have a three day growth every day. How do you get that fourth day off?
I think there are electric shavers that come with a variety of combs or whatever they're called. You set the shaver for a certain level, and it trims off just the outer fraction of the hairs. I keep seeing ads for something called The Solo Trimmer and Edger, and from the visuals it looks as though that's how it works (though the name sounds like something your gardener would use).

That said . . . the hobo look is darned annoying. Any white-collar office worker or professional man with that look in, say, 1965 would have been sent home to (a) shave, (b) find a new job, or (c) both. If I decide to go with the basic "ring beard" (i.e., mustache joining up with chin beard but shaved skin between sideburns and beard -- the "Satanic" look), I'll make sure to shave at least as often as I do now.

Don't watch much TV and the set is just 19 inches. I could not tell if someone is clean shaven or not. After all, it isn't worth wearing my glasses. But on the street the under 30 crowd of guys have that three days stubble thing. Poot lads. They all have sensitive skin. Seriously, they say that.

That's the first time I've heard that description! LOL! I sport that very look and shave daily with my J4 Flair tip.
I always thought it was called a goatee!:001_cool:
I thought so too, JD -- or at least, a "mustache and goatee." But I think posters here have called it a "ring" beard, in that it rings your lips and mouth.

I have a phone pic of myself from last Christmas, taken indoors at the Saenger Theatre (Linda dragged me to see The Nutcracker Suite). In the dim light, it's hard to see the side parts of my beard along the jawline, and thus I have a pretty good idea what I'd look like if I shaved them off. Perhaps this Christmas break I'll try it. . . .

I much prefer clean shaven, a neat mustache is ok though. The bearded face I don’t like. I dislike both stubble and also the unkempt lengthy beard. If you are going to wear a beard, keep it short and neat.

I agree entirely, Jim. Maybe it's because of 28 years in the Air Force, but I've been clean-shaven all my life. Even Sebastian Gorka makes me wonder if he would be much better-looking if he were to shave.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Lately, it seems that every man on every show or commercial has facial hair. With very few exceptions. When the pendulum swings back to the era of Cary Grant or Roger Moore, we’ll be right in the trend.

Seriously, if you find a show or commercial with a clean-shaven man, please post it here. They border on unobtanium.

Top Bottom