What's new

Do you take the blade out everyshave?

Stainless steel does not rust. Carbon steel does. I have yet to use a carbon steel blade though they do exist.

Stainless just means it takes longer for it to rust:wink2:

I usually give it a quick strop on my hand to get any soap residue of and this dries it at the same time.

Do you Progress users leave the blade in "tight", or do you loosen enough to rinse, then the next day, tighten and then re-set to the proper number?

I take the blade out of the razor, rinse the razor and blade off and leave both to dry for an hour by the sink before putting the blade back in the razor ready for the next shave.

Pete

I leave the blade in with my Merkur, but I don´t take the chance with my vintages. Though, no rust in the Merkur so far.

I live in the desert so with the air conditioner going the house is almost always under 10% humidity. So my razor is completely dry in less than an hour, without removing the blade.

One of the few perks to living here...

I take it out to hand-strop each time.

Then I take a dead chicken out on the front lawn and swing it counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise for the Brits) 3 1/2 times while baying at the moon. :smile:

- Chris

Does this work? I hope so because I haven't had much luck finding a virgin to perform the traditional post-shave blade cleaning ritual.

- Peter

I just leave it in.

Most razors are brass with chrome/gold plating - most Gillettes and the Merkurs - so rust is not an issue with them.

Stainless will rust, but not in the week that they are sitting in my razor. If you rotate through razors and leave blades in for several weeks, you may want to think about doing a thorough drying. Otherwise the cleaning/drying/dissasembly is not preventing any harm to your shaving gear.

As a side note: Treet may be the only company who still makes a carbon steel that could rust in the short term (let me know if I am wrong), but technically carbon steel is able to be sharpened to a finer point than stainless.
http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/treet-durasharp-carbon--10-10.html

I leave it in, but after each shave i give it a quick swish in a small jar of alcohol i keep nearby. It helps clean and evacuate the water.

Typically leave in for three shaves, then change. Just a rinse and shake after each use. I'm busy, so I try to allocate the extra time to shaving and technique rather than "over-caring" for blades that are really, if you think about it, pretty inexpensive. :rolleyes:

I leave it in, but after each shave i give it a quick swish in a small jar of alcohol i keep nearby. It helps clean and evacuate the water.

Same here.
I keep a Vlasic Pickled Relish jar full of Dollar General rubbing alcohol in my medicine cab just for that purpose. It ALSO fights soap scum buildup on the razors.
Wp

Yep, I do. But I am now changing razors every day too. Still, I don't want to leave them in, I prefer the razor rinsed and dried without a blade for storage (including overnight).

Top Bottom