What's new

Do you keep a travel kit at the ready?

I keep my travel gear in a Topo nylon Dopp kit. Every time I travel, when I return, I swap out any item I think won’t be right for the next trip. I just got home from Philly on Friday, and am going to Palm Springs next Wednesday. As I knew Philly would be unseasonably cool, I brought Hemingway shaving cream with me on that trip, but swapped it out for Lisa’s Florida Freeze Friday night, as I suspect I’ll enjoy the menthol in SoCal next week. Everything else stayed the same: Karve/F plate razor, synthetic brush, copper bowl, Chatillon Lux West Egg aftershave, Feather blades, Grooming pre-shave and (unused) styptic pencil. Next time I’ll likely swap out the razor and aftershave... but who knows?

I keep a little kit (1-3 nights) and a big kit (>3 nights) at the ready at all times. Bunch of stuff but shaving wise its usually either BIC or 7 o'clock sharpedge, cream is usually TOBS grapefruit.

I also keep a 26" suitcase packed with underoos, socks, pair of black pants, pair of jeans, a few shirts and pair of suede oxfords ready by the garage door. Surprisingly handy.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
No, just toss a few things together and go. Usually take my Schick Super 2 for travel. Less is best.

My Dopp kit is packed and ready (as I used to travel a good bit for work):
La Toja shave stick
Small plastic container of Proraso green AS
Simpsons Wee Scot in a pill bottle

The only thing missing is either a cart (if I must go through TSA) or my preferred travel razor (Lord L6). I mail blades to the destination.

I have been a shower-at-the-gym-before-work guy for as long as I've been working. I've always kept a toiletry bag at the ready and only recently developed enough confidence with my DE technique/efficiency to start shaving at the gym again. I prefer to shave in the evening, but will shave in the shower at the gym once or twice a week. Recent additions to the permanent kit include: tube of Speick cream, Speick AS, synthetic Spiffo brush, Merkur 34C (in case I forget to pack my AS-D2), Feather and GSB blades, small alcohol spray bottle. I also keep a suction cup shower mirror in my gym bag.

Personal Organizer Toiletry Bag, Medium

One of these bad guys provides more than enough space to accommodate my extensive grooming accouterments.

Last edited:
Pretty much packed and ready to go:

Weber razor with a bulldog handle. Sometimes switched out with a Parker Variant
Personna Red blades
Razorock synthetic brush in a pill bottle (top has a ventilation hole)
Pacific Shave shave stick (looks like a deodorant container)
Thayers WH in a small bottle
Duke Cannon "Cold" Aftershave Balm
Small bottle with Aqua Velva Blue AS
Pacific Shave Nick Stick

I’ve actually been using my little travel kit for the last 20 some odd days. It consists of a straight, a Tony Miller travel strip, a DE with some blades, a stick of arko, an 18mm Maggard synth brush, and two small bottles of aftershave. Been good for me but am ready to get back to my main kit.

I keep a very small kit with a 4 pc travel razor and two blades, half a Speick stick, travel toothbrush/paste, soap and a 10 pack of wet wipes in my glove box just in case I get caught out. Below is my set up except that I have a shave stick case to class it up the small kit. I think I’ve used the big kit once since I retired. The little one gets used all the time. They stay loaded.

what kind of field/travel are you doing? living out of a ruck, dismounted? living out of a tent/CHU with a shower trailer/point? just going TDY?

I started with a Claymore bag, and it works a charm. I have an LL Bean M hanging bag. they both can be loaded up for months worth of work. I have a small carry-on Tom Bihn 1QT clear cube that works as a weekender/sparse week kit. I'll hang pics below.

I use sticks on the road. make your own out of whatever you want. I use Speick sticks in my small kit. a synth brush for living in the dirt field, for sure, or no brush at all. stick your face, build the lather with your fingers. whatever you want otherwise. just let them dry out. for a mirror, get a thick glass signal mirror, and 100mph take the back of it to keep it from rubbing off the backing. or just learn to shave without it. I did shower shaving and it's easy enough. if you want to keep with straights, look at shavettes, or a Feather AC/SS. if you're just traveling, take your straights and strop. I have a Tony Miller travel strop that packs small.

small kit, with two straights in it, and the travel strop:

View attachment 971453

View attachment 971460

The LL Bean bag contents, fully packed:

View attachment 971469

View attachment 971470

I keep everything in my Dopp kit that (besides typical hygiene stuff) includes travel size pre-shave, soap samples, as samples and a travel tech. I don't leave my brush packed. I feel like it's better for it to be out in the air.
20190524_230535.jpg
20190524_230726.jpg
Last summer I bought one of the Proraso travel kits and just continue to refill the containers as needed. Same with cream and soap sample containers. I got a sample from Lush of their cream (terrible) and the container is a nice size for a week or less.
I think the comments of a good Dopp might make an interesting video.

Last edited:
Guys, these little 2oz bottles of contact lense solution work wonderfully for witch hazel or aftershave. I secure the top with a piece of tape when I travel with aftershave, but it’s likely not necessary as they secure very nicely!

proxy.php

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I travel all the time, so I have a dedicated travel kit.

EJ DE89 on a Weber Classic stainless handle
Usually toss in a vintage Tech or NEW on longer trips for variety
At least 3 tucks of different blades
Plisson L’Occitane Synth
Arko in a push-up dispenser
Some misc soap samples
PAA Planet 9 gel aftershave
Random aftershave samples
Along with all of the other non-shaving tools and supplies
All packed in a Maxpedition Tactical Toiletry Bag (highly recommend!)

CA5502B0-B0A7-4923-9B55-667FEA85CEA1.jpeg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I forgot to mention that Nalgene (the maker of water bottles for hiking etc) makes these little 2 and 4 ounce containers in several formats that are awesome for all sorts of toiletries. I use them for hair gel, aftershave, mouthwash, etc. I buy mine at REI. NEVER leak.

image.jpg

image.jpg
I keep a Lifetime Leather Co. Dopp kit packed and ready. It contains:
  • 1962 Travel Tech razor and case.
  • A WW2 era Bakelite handle as the travel tech handle sometimes feels too short.
  • Tabac stick pressed into a 57 gram (2 oz) container.
  • Simpson Major in super (always thoroughly dried for 2 days upon my return).
  • A TSA size compliant container of aftershave.
  • Toothbrush toothpaste, and dental floss.
  • TSA size compliant containers of mouthwash.
  • Small tub of Eprouvage hair molding paste and comb.
  • Container of Tums.
  • Container of ibuprofen.
  • Stick of deodorant (Old Spice or Schmidt’s).
  • Travel sewing kit.
Blades are more problematic. If checking my bag, two more blades than I expect to use, if carrying on, a tuck shipped from Amazon.

M

member 119848

I don't have to travel for work. And when I'm in holidays I don't fly, I usually drive.
So I pack my normal shaving gear.
My 30mm brush is a bit big, so I'm thinking of getting a light travel brush sometime in the future.
I find that those brushes that pack themselves in the handle are a great option!

Yep. At least one of each category is always in the kit. Anything that might make a mess is bundled in Ziploc bags too. DE stuff changes to disposables for carry-on. Right now:

Red Oxx Mfg. Tri-Fold
Gillette ball end aluminum Tech in a leather case
Personna Blues and Feathers
Synthetic Omega brush in a tube
Speick stick in a pill bottle
Misc. AS decanted in a few little bottles
Alum block in a rubberbanded plastic case
Styptic pencil
Microfiber towel, fairly small
Arm & Hammer AP/Deodorant stick
Nail clippers & tweezers
Toothbrush & paste in a travel tube
Q-Tips
Pepto Bismol gut plugs
Motrin

Last edited:
Dopp Kitt is always packed but the only shaving things that live in there are a razor case and omega travel boar brush. I add the razor, blades, and soap from my everyday stash when I pack depending on what I want to use. Same thing with toothpaste and toothbrush - I bring what I am currently am using.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Nope. However, made me think of a pal.

This fella played in a bar band, did local gigs. Sometimes he was invited to spend the night with a new acquaintance. Hence, he kept a dopp kit, fresh shirt, and underwear in a small bag in his car at all times. Never a Boy Scout, but he was always prepared.
I think I sat in with his band once....

Top Bottom