What's new

Do you even journal, Bro?

I’m ashamed to say that I bought a journal several months ago and have yet to put pen to paper. I’m extremely OCD when it comes to that sort of thing and I can’t get started because I can’t envision the outcome.

Be careful of Nurse Ratched … she shamed me for my belief that Musgo Real original is the best shaving cream in the UNIVERSE.

I’m ashamed to say that I bought a journal several months ago and have yet to put pen to paper. I’m extremely OCD when it comes to that sort of thing and I can’t get started because I can’t envision the outcome.
Just envision each day instead of the outcome of the whole thing.

That’s very hard for me to do. I’m always fearful I’m going to leave something out.

you probably will. Read back a little evh time and see if it jars anything loose that you forgot you wanted to put down.

I don’t ever write with any purpose. I write whatever I’m thinking about. Sometimes it’s not much at all and others I go on for pages.

I think that it’s good for the mind and soul to write. Sometimes it’s just offloading stress or fleshing out ideas or organizing thoughts. But more often than not it is just the points of my day or week. Things I want to record. Some people journal to keep track of the daily grind. Some to record important events or things like that and then people like me that write whatever comes to mind.

< I am worried that if someone reads it, it’s a one way ticket to the psychiatric ward at the local prison! >

Just so. If my thought dreams could be seen. They'd put my head in a guillotine.

When do you write? At the end of the day, or at the beginning of a new day?
I also write at the end of the day. I write a recap of my day, and oftentimes I will end with a couple sentences of a news story of the day. I don’t write every day. I can go for weeks without writing then write several days in a row.

I write a few lines every day in a leather covered journal and use my Montblanc 149 to achieve this. I view it as a discipline and a something that is good for my mental health and wellbeing during these often hard days many of us now live in. So even when tired I maintain a daily entry and do this at the end of the day. I have kept to the principle of a few lines every day for a number of years. I am not one for writing pages (or even a whole page) just a brief re-cap of my day and what might be on my mind. I have also kept a note from day one of how many days the pandemic is a feature of our daily lives.

I pretty much write with two implements: Fountain pens and mechanical pencils. Mechanical pencils are the fountain pens of pencils -- fillable with what you like: soft, hard, greasy, chalky, colorful, gray, wide, narrow -- great tools and even easier to load/unload than bottled ink!
My suggestion is to just start writing. Write anything and things will come. If they don't, try doodling or writing down some great quotes, song lyrics, or lines of poetry that you love. Then write down why these words move you or mean more than other words.
If you like movies or books, makes some notes on your favorites and why. List differences between the book and the movie and which was more compelling to you. Write down how they made you feel.
I agree completely with Contact_vs_Feedback: writing can become intensely personal and the act of writing things down seems to add weight to them and make them more..."considered."
Writing and pondering can open up a new part of your brain not unlike learning another language or playing an instrument. I promise you the sooner you start, the sooner it will not seem daunting or a chore.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I received a journal for Christmas, and am not really sure how to start. A little background: my oldest daughter is an aspiring author, and frequently asks why I don't write much. So, I figured I'd get a journal to try as a way to connect with her in that area. She gifted me one for Christmas, and I've started the new year by writing a bit in it each day. It's very random, and is essentially just a bit of rambling. Is this a good way to get started? Any other suggestions for journalers out there?
I don’t find myself interesting enough to journal.

Top Bottom