What's new

Do you even journal, Bro?

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. One kinda silly question: Pen or Pencil in your journal? I see some have mentioned using a fountain pen....which I personally don't think is for me. I keep meaning to bring a pen upstairs to use, but so far have been using the pencil that was on my bedside table for some reason....
I'm also considering changing WHEN I write in it. It's been an evening before bed thing, but sometimes it gets late and I'm forcing myself to do it. The plus side is, I'm keeping the journal by the bed. If I do something different timing wise, I may need to find it a new home. Oh well, I'll figure it out.
needs to be pen, graphite from your pencil doesn't keep for long, I draw using graphite and if it gets pressed by the book or pad it smears around and off the page. This is from the longevity view if its not going to be kept for long or very important then whatever you want. You could seal every page as you write it using spray sealer like I use on my artwork.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
needs to be pen, graphite from your pencil doesn't keep for long, I draw using graphite and if it gets pressed by the book or pad it smears around and off the page. This is from the longevity view if its not going to be kept for long or very important then whatever you want. You could seal every page as you write it using spray sealer like I use on my artwork.
You could use a harder graphite that doesn't smear.

You could use a harder graphite that doesn't smear.
my experience all graphite eventually smears or rubs off, but I am not an expert on all pencils. But the set of prismacolors and Kimberly pencils. They may have something out there that won't would love to know if there is a brand could use it in a sketch book while I am at work to make ideas for drawing later and practice things.

I live in a small city in southern Scandinavia, started to make notes in a journal last spring and make notes about the weather and which birds have arrived fir nesting in our area as well as of birds moving further north to their nesting areas.
Maybe not so much to make notes about but interesting to compare my wildlife observations with the ones made by my friends.

We attended (until Covid) a church that was founded by a group of college professors. The sermons were obviously well-suited for taking notes so I created a journal. One of the preachers spotted me writing with a fountain pen and it turns out he collects them.

As a note of potential interest, the dialog you have with others in the "type"written domain - ha, obsolete term today wot? - (this place here, through your fingers into the electronic world wide web?) is likely some of the most cogent insight into who you are than much of the internal noise we carry in our heads. Just a thought. But it does pose an interesting question: how do we generate useful thought flow? Citations? Copy over? ?

You're in good company. Reportedly, Ernest Hemmingway and John Steinbeck preferred writing with pencils. So does my daughter. I think pencils get a bad rap because most people don't progress beyond the cheap yellow pencils they used in school. But there is, in fact, a whole world of pencils out there.
This is a fact. Tyconderoga are the best of the yellow pencils, I believe. Most definitely tell a difference in them from others. A good pencil with a fresh point is quite satisfying to write with

I've been using a personalized bullet style for years. track tasks, appointments, traveled locations and dates... a single page monthly calendar for quick overviews, and a daily entry. the dailies ramble as far as they need to each day, and I'll journal the daily thoughts each day I do an entry. I don't always do a daily, but more often than not.

as others have said, just write. build the habit, and you'll figure out how you want to do it. if you want to keep with it

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
As far as pencils go - Blackwing 602 are all I keep on hand. A set of 12 will run you roughly 25 bucks. Worth it as long as you have a good pencil sharpener. And for that get yourself a KUM Automatic Break Sharpener. Together the pair is unstoppable.

We attended (until Covid) a church that was founded by a group of college professors. The sermons were obviously well-suited for taking notes so I created a journal. One of the preachers spotted me writing with a fountain pen and it turns out he collects them.
I've always had a lot of respect for pastors, or any presenter, who prepares their presentation with note taking in mind. In college, I visited a church where the bulletin had a blank outline that could be filled in during the sermon.

Thanks again everyone for your insights. As with any habit, this will certainly take time to develop. I wrote more yesterday than any other day. The "brain dump" felt pretty good.

I started daily journaling in the late 1980's by pen and paper. I have about half a dozen notebooks full. It's is very personal and I should have them discarded someday before I die. I moved to computer in the late 1990's and haven't looked back. Mine are the musings, frustrations, whatever is on my mind. In the last 10 years I've moved from daily to monthly entry, but I'm still doing it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I started daily journaling in the late 1980's by pen and paper. I have about half a dozen notebooks full. It's is very personal and I should have them discarded someday before I die. I moved to computer in the late 1990's and haven't looked back. Mine are the musings, frustrations, whatever is on my mind. In the last 10 years I've moved from daily to monthly entry, but I'm still doing it.

What program on the computer do you use?

One kinda silly question: Pen or Pencil in your journal? I see some have mentioned using a fountain pen....which I personally don't think is for me.

I have a daily planner, which I write in with fountain pens, but started a journal as another reason to use my pens more. Decided to record the books I read, the movies I saw in theatre, and the pens I owned. Guess you could call them reviews. I keep them to a single page, and in the case of the book reviews, I usually draft them first in a throw-away spiral notebook.

You either have the inclination to write, or you don't. I hope you find that you do.

When is comes to journaling, there are as many different reasons to do it as there are people who Do do it. Some of the Founding Fathers kept journals of the goings on at their estates (Washington and Jefferson, for example) and Franklin used his journal as a method for self-improvement. The Art of Manliness has a physical journal based on Franklin's concept available for purchase as either a leather cover and insert, or just the replaceable insert. They also have a guided journal to help you get yourself started on the habit of journaling, if that might be more of your need. I don't own either of these, but I am a fan of the site.

I personally own two journals from The Traveler's Company USA that I use in fits and starts. I have both sizes, one more for my desk and one for when I am out and about.

As a life coach, I have squirreled away some other peoples' sets of journaling prompts to keep in my tool kit. If you're interested, let me know and I'll pop some of them over to you.

Any thoughts on the best time to journal? I've been doing it right before bed, but sometimes I get so tired I'm not really into it. I could try in the morning with my coffee, perhaps. At least now since I'm working remote and my commute is a hop, skip, and a jump.

My longest entry to date was done one evening while I enjoyed a pour of bourbon. Not sure if it was the bourbon, or the day in general. :)

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Any thoughts on the best time to journal? I've been doing it right before bed, but sometimes I get so tired I'm not really into it. I could try in the morning with my coffee, perhaps. At least now since I'm working remote and my commute is a hop, skip, and a jump.

My longest entry to date was done one evening while I enjoyed a pour of bourbon. Not sure if it was the bourbon, or the day in general. :)
Journaling and bourbon is a nice way to end the day.

Top Bottom