What's new

Do synthetic brushes need a stand to dry?

Does capillary action work in the absence of pores in the hair? Since synthetics don't have pores and absorb water, would they dry the same way if stood up?

I can't speak from experience, but I would imagine so. Water can travel up glass so I imagine that it would on synthetic bristles. As long as there is a surface for the water to "cling" to.

Well I am a man of science and in order for water to travel thru capillary force, it needs to be absorbed by the material and have a medium to travel. A fine example of this would be how plants absorb water thru roots and travel thru plant cells (xylem and phloem).

A synthetic brush inherently does not absorb water and retains moisture only on surface so I fail to see how capillary force can have any effect on a manmade material like synthetics.

Does capillary action work in the absence of pores in the hair? Since synthetics don't have pores and absorb water, would they dry the same way if stood up?
Interbristle capillaries are also created by bristles touching each other in the dense knot.

Well I am a man of science and in order for water to travel thru capillary force, it needs to be absorbed by the material and have a medium to travel.
Capillary tubes used to demonstrate capillary action are made of glass. Glass does not absorb water.

Last edited:
Hanging upside down, the Muhle seemed dry after 12 hours. My boar and badger are both definitely damp in that time.

I'll stand it up tonight and see how she does.

I have 5 brushes (boars and badgers) and 1 stand. I've never had an issue with a brush not drying well or getting weird because it was dried bristles up. I just shake the heck out of them in my shower so I don't have to squeeze too much. They are usually pretty dry in 8 hours or less. A synthetic would be faster.

Top Bottom