What's new

Longevity, MÜHLE Synthetic Travel Brush..?

I am interested in hearing about your experiences with the "Longevity" of synthetic shaving brushes in general, and especially the MÜHLE Travel Brush (Silvertip Fiber), see

I already have this brush, but never used it much. I found it too small, and I am no fan of synthetic brushes, so acquiring this brush was kind of a mistake in the first place.

But now that I have it, I might as well use it, and the obvious occasion is for traveling of course. I have so far carried a smaller boar when traveling, but I would like to cut down volume to an absolute minimum, and I concede that synthetics have advantages when traveling.

What I'd like to know more specifically, is your experience with "longevity", of this brush in particular, but also with synthetic brushes more generally, given that I have virtually no experience with these.

Does it just "keep going", or do they start to shed after a couple of years use, or do they get more floppy, or do the hairs start to pierce the skin (I am really suspicious of synthetics ..!) ...?? Or, do they get better over time, like boars..?

Any feedback is welcome -- on this MÜHLE Travel brush in particular, but also on synthetic shaving brushes more generally, though in this specific "longevity" regard.

Just to avoid an overload of information and discussion:
I already know that some of the great advantages of synthetics are that they need no breaking in, do not need soaking before use, dry fast after use, and are generally very robust. I also know that many people like them not only because of this, but also because they are very soft, and very cheap compared to badgers.
As far as I am concerned, this is all fine, YMMV. For me however, the very idea of a synthetic brush has no appeal at all, "there is anough plastic in the world already" as I like to rhetorically put it. I generally prefer a "natural" brush, and have stuck to boars and badgers through all my years as a wet shaving hobbyist.
So we do not even need to get into a broader debate about whether "to synth or not". But I concede that for the purpose of travel, a small synthetic brush has advantages which have convinced me to try one out in that context.
And so, to reiterate, what I specifically want to know, is how synthetics in general, and this travel brush more specifically, behave over time, with use ... hence "Longevity" in my title.

Last edited:

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
4 years in. 3 synthetic brushes in rotation. Two Yaqi, 1 Razorock. I use the Yaqi brushes more frequently. Daily shaver. None of the brushes shed more than a few hairs. They all perform as well as they did when I first bought them. If you were only to use your brush for travel I imagine it will serve you until you can't travel anymore.

I have used synth brushes exclusively for many years, and none have diminished in performance. I might have lost a handful of fibers but it was very few.

Synthetics that I use seem to age well. I expect them to perform the same for many years. I use a mix of boar brushes and synthetics, though, with an occasional badger or badger/boar mix. So, not a full-time synthetic brush user.

Another idea is you can use your synth brush to assist in your shave. Apply a pre-shave soap, or use the synth brush like a water reservoir to add water when lathering with other brushes.

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Made for myself years ago a travel brush with a Muehle 19 mm STF. I have traveled a lot prior to my retirement, and this brush was the one that was used most during a year. Never had any issue with it, and it is still going strong. As far as I remember, I never lost a fiber. Just this year I was away from home for some three weeks and it was used daily, and it is really a enjoyable little brush.

Most used Synth is this Yaqi Rainbow Pony (headshaving) approximately 3 years and no issues.
FC8D71C4-C984-48FB-B3F4-978B03DAA5F7.jpeg

Used to take this 19mm Mühle STF with me on my travels but switched to the proper 22mm earlier this year. Again no issues with the fibers at all. The 19mm is not as dense as the 22mm but no shedding in both of them.

BA6A3485-7E63-4F45-8A4A-B82406964FED.jpeg

0A7B5780-9C42-407D-A9A6-A36850A3B3B3.jpeg

Last edited:
Well the IMHO key to giving any product life & longevity is taking care of, and cleaning between uses.

Back in Marshal Office days, I recall picking up peoples Cars with Court Orders to Satisfy Civil Judgement. Recall picking up current year 1977 VW Bug with 1,300 miles on it the Car, it was already trashed, and I honestly it was only 3 months old.

Think the owner never did nothing to car but trash, drive, and bump into objects with this Lime Green Bug. Recall call for tow, because either me or my partner at time risked driving it with check engine light on, and the interior was so filthy dirty, as risking sitting in this pig pen with our Tan Uniforms was not going to end well.

I am interested in hearing about your experiences with the "Longevity" of synthetic shaving brushes in general, and especially the MÜHLE Travel Brush (Silvertip Fiber), see

I already have this brush, but never used it much. I found it too small, and I am no fan of synthetic brushes, so acquiring this brush was kind of a mistake in the first place.

But now that I have it, I might as well use it, and the obvious occasion is for traveling of course. I have so far carried a smaller boar when traveling, but I would like to cut down volume to an absolute minimum, and I concede that synthetics have advantages when traveling.

What I'd like to know more specifically, is your experience with "longevity", of this brush in particular, but also with synthetic brushes more generally, given that I have virtually no experience with these.

Does it just "keep going", or do they start to shed after a couple of years use, or do they get more floppy, or do the hairs start to pierce the skin (I am really suspicious of synthetics ..!) ...?? Or, do they get better over time, like boars..?

Any feedback is welcome -- on this MÜHLE Travel brush in particular, but also on synthetic shaving brushes more generally, though in this specific "longevity" regard.

Just to avoid an overload of information and discussion:
I already know that some of the great advantages of synthetics are that they need no breaking in, do not need soaking before use, dry fast after use, and are generally very robust. I also know that many people like them not only because of this, but also because they are very soft, and very cheap compared to badgers.
As far as I am concerned, this is all fine, YMMV. For me however, the very idea of a synthetic brush has no appeal at all, "there is anough plastic in the world already" as I like to rhetorically put it. I generally prefer a "natural" brush, and have stuck to boars and badgers through all my years as a wet shaving hobbyist.
So we do not even need to get into a broader debate about whether "to synth or not". But I concede that for the purpose of travel, a small synthetic brush has advantages which have convinced me to try one out in that context.
And so, to reiterate, what I specifically want to know, is how synthetics in general, and this travel brush more specifically, behave over time, with use ... hence "Longevity" in my title.
I bought a synth just for travel, 24mm Tuxedo. I have a dop kit so it has a safe place already. It was so much better than my pure badger that it became my daily shaver for over a year. It never lost a single strand.
It has gone back to the travel kit where it belongs. I bought a Muhle STF (large-23mm), and after 6 months, it lost 1 strand.
The problem I hit with 'travel' brushes is they're too small. My Simpson was a 19mm, which I suspect was part of the reason I hated it. Ok, the fact that it became spineless when soaked didn't help it's case.

I understand you have it in hand. If you don’t like synths you don’t have to. I don’t either. I went through a few trying to find my travelers. I use the Omega 40033 and 599. They pack small. The 599 even has a free travel container. I’ll take one or the other, sometimes both for a longer trip.

I tried the Omega Bambino, didn’t really like the face feel. The Ever Ready 150 L was my uncle’s and I threw a silvertip in it. The handle isn’t great in hand, so it doesn’t travel much. The Wee Scott is just too small for me. I did the Omega mixed midget but the pures were too prickly and I broke the handle trying to drill out the knot.

And I’ve mostly traveled and live in hot and humid environments with no issues to the brushes. The cases breath as well as the dopp.

Life’s short, use what makes you happy

IMG_7121.jpeg

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've been traveling with synth brushes for years now - never a problem. I'm not sure I've ever lost a fiber. When I'm traveling back home early in the AM I do use the hair dryer on the brush a bit - from a pretty good distance away.

I have a Wald that gets used at home once or twice a week, but that one doesn't travel.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have been using a 23mm Muhle STF as my dedicated travel brush for a couple of years now with zero issues. The little travel brush with the integrated is too small for me. I 3D printed a nice travel case for my 23mm and it fits in my kit perfectly.

I've used the muhle travel brush for several years, both travel and at least once a week as my normal rotation.no problems and the brush is as good as new. .lovely brush.

If you want a badger travel brush, consider simpsons major m1. I recently bought this in super and its superb ,soft,yet not floppy and very stylish. One of sipmsons gems which seems to be overlooked.

I have owned and used Mühle STF brushes for years. Never a single problem. I think you can't realistically wear down a synthetic. Perhaps only when used as a daily driver for half a century or so.

With your particular brush, I think the risk of accidently stripping the threads on a busy morning when traveling, should be a bigger concern.

Top Bottom