What's new

Do Omegas Ever Get Soft? (Would like to hear comparisons from Zenith and Semogue Users)

I think that the high loft (64mm) makes this brush look way taller than it really is. Its specs are at: YourShaving.com

Comparing it to other brushes, it's about the same overall height as an Omega Pro 49. Interestingly, this Zenith's handle looks remarkably similar to the Pro 49's, too.

Zenith does make brushes with barber-style handles, by the way.

I like it, if I didn't have enough brushes already I'd consider picking it up. Also really like the Omega Jade though, but too many brushes already lol.

Today I used my omega 10104 PIFed to me a few months back. The previous owner must have used it twice since it still had a little bit of that funky smell when I got it. I've used it about thrice. So that means, by boar standards, this thing is practically brand new.

It is soft and feels well broken in both in terms of softness on the face and slight lack of backbone compared to the smaller omega boars. The former means it feels like silk on the face. The latter means it splays more than the smaller ones. Just to clarify my point. And I also noticed that the hairs on the new omega seems thinner than the ones I bought before. Has anyone bought a new omega this year and could compare it to another one bought from 2018 or earlier?

So yeah, they do become soft and broken in and it won't take long.

I have an Omega 10098 and a couple of Semogue boars. I much prefer the Omega. The tips on my 10098 are every bit as soft as a premium silvertip badger (which I have for comparison). It took me less than 10 minutes to break in my Omega using very hot water. There is a risk to using hot water on a brush as it is possible to destroy the brush, but I figured with a $15 brush, the risk was acceptable.

I brought a pan of hot water to a boil on the stove and then allowed it to cool off for about 5 minutes. Then I dipped only the tips of the Omega brush into the hot water for a few seconds until the tops softened. I then removed the brush from the water and let it cool down. I repeated this process several times until the tips of the bristles had split nicely. The entire process took about 10 minutes.

I have also tried the hot water on the Semogue brushes, but because the Semogue bristles are treated differently, they do not split like the Omega bristles do.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim,

The Zenith brushes in your photo appear to be bleached boars because they're all light in colour. The unbleached knots are noticeably more brown-ish. For example, the 80B XSE:

proxy.php

Thanks. Makes sense to me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have an Omega 10098 and a couple of Semogue boars. I much prefer the Omega. The tips on my 10098 are every bit as soft as a premium silvertip badger (which I have for comparison). It took me less than 10 minutes to break in my Omega using very hot water. There is a risk to using hot water on a brush as it is possible to destroy the brush, but I figured with a $15 brush, the risk was acceptable.

I brought a pan of hot water to a boil on the stove and then allowed it to cool off for about 5 minutes. Then I dipped only the tips of the Omega brush into the hot water for a few seconds until the tops softened. I then removed the brush from the water and let it cool down. I repeated this process several times until the tips of the bristles had split nicely. The entire process took about 10 minutes.

I have also tried the hot water on the Semogue brushes, but because the Semogue bristles are treated differently, they do not split like the Omega bristles do.
Hey, thanks for letting me know about that. I was about to abandon my 98, because I know that even if I use it for years and it finally gets nice, the bristles will still be too long and not give me the face feel I want.

I think I'll try your trick.

Hey, thanks for letting me know about that. I was about to abandon my 98, because I know that even if I use it for years and it finally gets nice, the bristles will still be too long and not give me the face feel I want.

I think I'll try your trick.
I get that feel from my 98. It feels like a floppy mop across my face and although I enjoy it, I know others might not. At least the handle is nice.. :eek2:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have a couple of Omegas (10098 and travel sleeve model) that are breaking in a lot slower than any of my Semogues and Zeniths.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Maybe they just take longer. It could be that when they finally do get soft, that I'll like them better than the Semogues or Zeniths because the latter has too little backbone.

So I'd like to hear from someone with good experience with Omegas AND ... Semogues and/or Zeniths that get so soft.

Please don't respond if you have only used Omegas, since "softness" is a relative term.

1. Do the Semogues and Zeniths always stay softer than Omegas? Or do the Omegas catch up eventually?

2. Are there Omegas that are softer than other Omegas?

I'm not trying to put down Omegas. I do plan on breaking mine in, but I was hoping to get an idea of what to expect when they eventually do break in.

Thank you!

(And no, please don't respond advising break-in shortcuts/accelerators. I'm very aware of many of those options.)
Yes they do. I have used a 10048 for over 10 years and it is SOFT yet still has backbone. I used a Vulfix silvertip this morning and it couldn’t touch my Omega for lathering or comfort. It just takes time and use. Don’t Despair

My boar years are way in the past but I remember I used Omega because although the handles of the other two were much better made, Omega, and this was the general consensus on boards back then, had the better knots. Noticeably better.

Top Bottom