What's new

Do Omegas Ever Get Soft? (Would like to hear comparisons from Zenith and Semogue Users)

I have a couple of Omegas (10098 and travel sleeve model) that are breaking in a lot slower than any of my Semogues and Zeniths.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Maybe they just take longer. It could be that when they finally do get soft, that I'll like them better than the Semogues or Zeniths because the latter has too little backbone.

So I'd like to hear from someone with good experience with Omegas AND ... Semogues and/or Zeniths that get so soft.

Please don't respond if you have only used Omegas, since "softness" is a relative term.

1. Do the Semogues and Zeniths always stay softer than Omegas? Or do the Omegas catch up eventually?

2. Are there Omegas that are softer than other Omegas?

I'm not trying to put down Omegas. I do plan on breaking mine in, but I was hoping to get an idea of what to expect when they eventually do break in.

Thank you!

(And no, please don't respond advising break-in shortcuts/accelerators. I'm very aware of many of those options.)

My first omega boar was bought in mid 2018 and my last was in dec 2018. All still retain their strong backbone which is what I like. But they did lose their scritch eventually through.

Also, if you want a "soft" omega boar, the banded ones seem to be softer. I have one and it is softer than then other 4 blonde ones.

Omega and Semogue boar user here, no Zeniths....yet. I've owned 3 Omegas and 5 Semogues.

2 of 3 Omegas have became soft almost immediately and were usable right out of the box: the 10049 and 10066 to be precise. The 11126 tips have refused to split (after 60+ wet/dry cycles) and although it's been perfectly functional right out of the box, it's too uncomfortable to use as a face-latherer so I've shelved it. This brush has banded bristles and feel nothing like the softness of the un-dyed bristles in the above brushes. Maybe I just got a unit with hairs not in line what is supposed to come on that brush, I don't know. It's one heck of a bowl-latherer/painter though, just not as soft as I'd like.

All the Semogues (620, 1470, 1250, SOC), except for an 1800, have taken quite a bit of use (10+ wet/dry cycles) to splay open and cooperate making lather. They'e nowhere near as soft as the 1800 or the 2 Omegas above. My overall experience with Semogue is that their brushes are not as soft as Omegas. The 1800 is the exception and feels like an Omega 10049 in a more compact/controllable knot. The 1800 took about 15 uses to get to where it's been for a good while, very nice and pleasant to use.

According to what I've read about Omega, they only use one bristle and don't grade them. Semogue does grade them and I have found their system to correlate with my experience. Since these bristles are a natural product, there's likely quite a bit of variation from brush to brush however so there's that.

You might need to go synthetic or silver-tip badger though, boars are hardly the pinnacle of softness to me so far but honestly, I have not used a single one for 100 shaves so have yet to truly experience a fully broken in boar. I'd surmise once all the tips split they will be like badgers with nice backbone, surely, the best of both worlds.

Other folks here have noted that certain Omegas take an inordinately long time to break in.

Personally, I have an Omega 10005 that took six years to get to the point where I really like it. It went through several stages where it was good, then bad, then good again. That was possibly due to me trying to accelerate the break-in process, which actually may have caused the split ends to break off.

In the end, I just used it as normal and it eventually became one of my favourite brushes.

This is my opinion on the three boar brands.

- Omega - balanced break-in. Takes couple weeks to break in and becomes soft afterwards. It also depends on the size/loft of the Omega brush. For example, my 10066 broke in after couple weeks and is buttery smooth now. My Omega 48 Pro is a big one that is still breaking in. I'm guessing it'll take a lot longer for this boy.

- Semogue - Longer break-in. My Semogue 1250 took me a good month to break in. It still has a good amount of scrub. My SOC and 830 were easier to break in but I did get them second hand. I love Semogue brushes because they maintain the scrub while becoming softer.

- Zenith - No break-in at all. Both of my Zenith boars required no break-in. B10 and B7 were soft from start and had low scrub/backbone. I did not enjoy them compared to Omega/Semogues. I'm guessing the bigger sized Zeniths will be better as they might have more scrub/backbone but the smaller ones were way too soft for me.

*Disclaimer: Could be complete bs*

1) It's a matter of perception. Semogues have finer bristles and will 'give' more than most Omegas. A lot of people will say, "But my semogue has backbone!" So does a badger brush. But it's a different feel. And Omegas, even if the tips become incredible soft will typically be thought of as less soft because of the thicker shaft diameter and typically more 'aggressive' backbone. But it's perception, because both hair tips may in fact be equally soft when you ignore backbone. You can lather up using an omega with just the tips and it'll be incredibly soft. Try to press it into your face (as many people do) and the backbone will make it feel scritchier.

2) Yes, some Omegas may feel softer than other Omegas. Some may actually use a 'premium' bristle. But the biggest difference in my experience, is the loft height to knot diameter ratio. A larger height:diameter ratio will result in a brush that is easier to splay, and thus will feel 'softer' (in Omegas).

Your brush has a tall loft, but also a large knot diameter. So it's expected to be more rigid than an Omega 49 (which most boar users will have used). So I expect a longer break in period.

My advice, don't smash the brush into your face if it doesn't want to 'give'. Use the tips or use painting strokes to build your lather. The wet/dry cycles it'll acquire through use will soften it. No need to beat it into submission. With all that said, I'm not going to be one of those who says "you'll love it once it's broken in!", because it's a matter of taste.

I have a couple of Omegas (10098 and travel sleeve model) that are breaking in a lot slower than any of my Semogues and Zeniths.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Maybe they just take longer. It could be that when they finally do get soft, that I'll like them better than the Semogues or Zeniths because the latter has too little backbone.

So I'd like to hear from someone with good experience with Omegas AND ... Semogues and/or Zeniths that get so soft.

Please don't respond if you have only used Omegas, since "softness" is a relative term.

1. Do the Semogues and Zeniths always stay softer than Omegas? Or do the Omegas catch up eventually?

2. Are there Omegas that are softer than other Omegas?

I'm not trying to put down Omegas. I do plan on breaking mine in, but I was hoping to get an idea of what to expect when they eventually do break in.

Thank you!

(And no, please don't respond advising break-in shortcuts/accelerators. I'm very aware of many of those options.)
Also, it could be differences in the boar batches or personal preference. I have a Omega 10098 that felt soft after couple of uses. It still has some scrub but I still enjoy using it without any discomfort. It could be that your boar bristles are a bit rougher or that your skin is bit more tender.

My Omega is noticeably softer than my Semouge. However the Omega also has a higher loft so it is a bit more floppy.

My Semogues have less backbone and are softer than my Omega 49. My Omega is older than all of them so I doubt it will catch up.

I have a well used Omega 10049 and Semogue SOC. The Omega has more backbone but both seem pretty soft on my face after a fair amount of use. I like both of them and neither seemed like it took all that long to break in. I didn't do any exotic break in procedures either. Just used them.

This is my opinion on the three boar brands.

- Omega - balanced break-in. Takes couple weeks to break in and becomes soft afterwards. It also depends on the size/loft of the Omega brush. For example, my 10066 broke in after couple weeks and is buttery smooth now. My Omega 48 Pro is a big one that is still breaking in. I'm guessing it'll take a lot longer for this boy.

- Semogue - Longer break-in. My Semogue 1250 took me a good month to break in. It still has a good amount of scrub. My SOC and 830 were easier to break in but I did get them second hand. I love Semogue brushes because they maintain the scrub while becoming softer.

- Zenith - No break-in at all. Both of my Zenith boars required no break-in. B10 and B7 were soft from start and had low scrub/backbone. I did not enjoy them compared to Omega/Semogues. I'm guessing the bigger sized Zeniths will be better as they might have more scrub/backbone but the smaller ones were way too soft for me.

I've said it before, but you really have to check out an unbleached Zenith, they are the stiffest scrubbiest boars around, a real delight to use. The bleached Zenith is the brush I like the least, the unbleached one I like the most. Most efficient boar I've used by quite some distance.

Back to Omega's, I've owned 4 different Omegas and I've found no two perform the same way. One of them after 2 uses is as soft as a cloud and fairly floppy (11819, 24mm knot, 55mm loft plain, unbleached), and another which took 30 uses to get a bit softer than it was originally (80265, banded, unbleached 24mm knot, 55mm loft) and the 2 others are somewhere in between.

Last edited:
I've said it before, but you really have to check out an unbleached Zenith, they are the stiffest scrubbiest boars around, a real delight to use. The bleached Zenith is the brush I like the least, the unbleached one I like the most. Most efficient boar I've used by quite some distance.

Back to Omega's, I've owned 4 different Omegas and I've found there's no continuity. One of them after 2 uses is as soft as a cloud and fairly floppy (11819, 24mm knot, 55mm loft plain, unbleached), and another which took 30 uses to get a bit softer than it was originally (80265, banded, unbleached 24mm knot, 55mm loft) and the 2 others are somewhere in between.
I'll definitely try if I get a chance. I am pretty satisfied with the boars I have right now so I'm not actively looking for more. Also, I'm trying for a year long restraint so this boar hunt has got to pause for a little bit. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Zeniths.All.Boars.640.9-27-18.JPG

I really don't know if my Zeniths are bleached or unbleached or a mixture. I like them all. I believe they've all been good to go from day one but also gotten better and softer over time. Yet they've maintained decent backbone and scrub. None of mine are higher lofted than 57mm if that matters.

None of my boars are older than two years or so.

10-5-19.Herder76.GD.SOC.640.JPG

The only Semogue I've used very much is this SOC. It took a long time to break in. I'm not entirely sure I like it all that much but sometimes I do.

12-4-19.PipeRazor.DB.Jade.Kit.640.JPG

Of all my boars the one I believe to be the best is this Omega Jade (from Connaught). Like most or maybe all of my Omega boars it took a very long time to break in, but, broken in, it has wonderful backbone, great scrub, and it is very very soft.

My really tall Omegas are floppy.

My Zeniths are very very soft too for that matter, and so is the SOC, but the three different brands (to the degree I'm experienced with them) are not the same in some respects.

I don't know if that helps at all, but it's my experience with these brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

i have an omega pure bristle (non banded) 11137 that i am still waiting to break in.... 4 months later

from what i have been told 'pure' bristles ie not treated to give the bands takes longer to break in, as the banding of the board bristles serves in softening them up a bit.

Trying to accelerate the break in by soaking my brush in cold water for 24hrs before use (twice a week)

View attachment 1040777

I really don't know if my Zeniths are bleached or unbleached or a mixture. I like them all. I believe they've all been good to go from day one but also gotten better and softer over time. Yet they've maintained decent backbone and scrub. None of mine are higher lofted than 57mm if that matters.

None of my boars are older than two years or so.

View attachment 1040778

The only Semogue I've used very much is this SOC. It took a long time to break in. I'm not entirely sure I like it all that much but sometimes I do.

View attachment 1040779

Of all my boars the one I believe to be the best is this Omega Jade (from Connaught). Like most or maybe all of my Omega boars it took a very long time to break in, but, broken in, it has wonderful backbone, great scrub, and it is very very soft.

My really tall Omegas are floppy.

My Zeniths are very very soft too for that matter, and so is the SOC, but the three different brands (to the degree I'm experienced with them) are not the same in some respects.

I don't know if that helps at all, but it's my experience with these brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Jim,

The Zenith brushes in your photo appear to be bleached boars because they're all light in colour. The unbleached knots are noticeably more brown-ish. For example, the 80B XSE:

proxy.php

Is that a barber brush? It looks like one.
I think that the high loft (64mm) makes this brush look way taller than it really is. Its specs are at: YourShaving.com

Comparing it to other brushes, it's about the same overall height as an Omega Pro 49. Interestingly, this Zenith's handle looks remarkably similar to the Pro 49's, too.

Zenith does make brushes with barber-style handles, by the way.

Top Bottom