What's new

Do all boar brushes splay this way?

I have 3 Omegas and like them all. But my favorite of the 3 is the Connaught Omega. It is super soft and the handle is high quality. The Pro 49 is large with good backbone and the 10066 has taken a backseat to the Connaught but I’ll still use it for a change of pace. And the prices for all are just right.

EF3837F2-B3D0-4FF3-96AB-BC98D578AFB5.jpeg

from my experience, semogues do this, but only if I soak them like most people recommend, which is all fine and dandy for most other brands of boar brush, just not semogue.
I've stopped soaking them though, since they lose so much of the backbone that I love, and as a result don't lather as well as I'd like, they look a lot neater, have more back bone and a much nicer face feel IMO.
Omega brushes on the other hand, don't do this, but I don't like them as much since the tips are a lot scratchier and pokier.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
from my experience, semogues do this, but only if I soak them like most people recommend, which is all fine and dandy for most other brands of boar brush, just not semogue.
I've stopped soaking them though, since they lose so much of the backbone that I love, and as a result don't lather as well as I'd like, they look a lot neater, have more back bone and a much nicer face feel IMO.
Omega brushes on the other hand, don't do this, but I don't like them as much since the tips are a lot scratchier and pokier.

Zenith. Mondial.

My SOC boar is about the same. I think it’s pretty normal for splay on a higher loft for a boar brush.

The more important question is whether it lathers the way you want or not.

I fancy Semogues and Omegas and Zeniths alike. If you appreciate Semogues, that Rastafarian bloom is a pretty sight.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My SOC boar is about the same. I think it’s pretty normal for splay on a higher loft for a boar brush.

The more important question is whether it lathers the way you want or not.

None of my higher lofted boars splay like the SOC and some are higher than the SOC. I think it's a Semogue thing.

There are boar brushes I don't like as much as others, and a few I really don't use, and one I don't like but hope to break in eventually, but my Mondial, and all of my Zeniths, and several of my Omegas, and also my SOC are fine brushes. They do the job. They're enjoyable to use.

A good many factors go into how I evaluate a boar brush.
  1. Soft tips.
  2. Strong backbone and excellent scrub.
  3. Loads easily and well.
  4. Allows me to apply soap to my face and neck so it looks like spackling.
  5. Holds water properly so I can build the hydrated lather I require.
  6. Has a handle which is comfortable and easy to use.
  7. Looks good to me.
  8. Doesn't shed much at all.
  9. Is a good value in terms of quality for the price.
  10. Paints well.
  11. Splays properly during use.
  12. Has decent flow through and is not too bad of a lather hog.
  13. Isn't impossible to break in (bonus points for break in not required).
There may be more factors, but the first two on my list are the most important along with the question of whether the brush is fun to use.

That's just how I see it, and not how anyone else should look at their brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

IMG_20180719_140319.jpg
IMG_20180719_140319.jpg
IMG_20180719_140614.jpg
IMG_20180719_140408.jpg

I just received the Omega 11711.
Looks like a very nice brush, the handle feels high quality.
I have yet to lather this brush, the photos were taken right out of the package, so I'm sure it'll be much bigger once it breaks in.
I've included some other brushes for size comparison.
From left to right: Maggard 24 synthetic, stirling 24 badger fan, omega 11711, yaqi high mountain badger.
Edit: Seems like the photos was turned 180 degrees when uploaded. The above order is for the last picture (reverse order for the second to last picture)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This is a photo of my SOC right before I soaked and used it this morning.

7-19-18.SOC.SLOC.MdC .640.JPG

It was a joy to use. The brush is now finally broken in. The little bit of remaining scritch is very insignificant. Mostly it is very, very soft. It is not a brush with a lot of backbone but it has enough to be scrubby. My brushes have to be scrubby!

I'm a face latherer. With just a little MdC the SOC lathers up a storm.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have a 10066 that I love. Would buy it again in a second. I think that it has lost 5 bristles in FOUR years.
That's impressive, I ended up buying the 11711, hopefully it's as good as yours. It did loose about 15 hairs the very first time I lathered it. I'm just hoping that was the end of its hair shedding.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
So is this normal, and do omegas boar brushes behave the same way?

My Omega 10005 that I bought in April of 2017. As it sits today, dry.

IMG_2803.JPG

After about 6 months of use every other day shaving, the tips started turning snow white when soaked for about 30 seconds or so.

IMG_2347.jpg

IMG_2344.jpg

The tips are soft as a cloud, but that brush has back bone to spare. Zero scritch but very good scrub.

Its not an expensive brush either, but the Beech handles can crack as you see. That crack was there out of the box and the clear coat on the wood is very thin. It wore off about a week or two later and the crack started absorbing water, turning dark. Easy overnight fix with a dip in some MinWax Poly and its been fine since I did it.

That brush took 6 solid months to break in fully, used every other day. It went through a few stages as it broke in. It didnt make a lot of lather, then it hogged the lather, then it got floppy.

Now it loads harder soaps like Tabac very quickly. It makes a great lather and doesnt splay excessively. It has no flop at all, it hasnt given up a bit of back bone and it only stops releasing lather when theres none left too release.

Awesome brush for the money.

Edit to add: Its lost maybe 6 bristles since I bought it.

Top Bottom