What's new

GIVEAWAY! Discovery PIF - Your Amazing Adventure Begins With A Great Shave!!

I had my first Shave with an edison blade today. Lupo 95 Closed comb, proraso green and thayers witch hazel to finish.

No nicks or cuts. I had to do a pass over certain areas.

In initial comparison, I feel the blade is not as sharp sharp as Polsilvers or bolzanos.

My other impressionil blade tended to dull with the second pass in that I may only be able to get a second or third shave with the same blade.

This is on par with my experience with nacets which I usually only get three Shaves or Swedish rapids, which I the only get 2 shaves.

For comparison, my favorite blade is Polsilvers. 2nd silver blues. 3rd nacet.

These are not as sharp as Polsilvers or as smooth as silver blues or nacets.

It was still a very good shave. I think that main issue will be the longevity of the blade which I may need to replace after two shaves, which is comparable to nacet.

Finding my way: Chapter 11

Chapters 11 Cliff's Notes: This is a combined entry for three Eddison shaves: They have all been sharp and smooth, This last shave, the 7th, may have been a little tuggy with the GC .68-P. The GC .84OC really liked it though, knocking through three days growth, some of that over a Flask-style day hike in the Mt. Hood Forest.

Falling Down Lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

Flask's Adventure Pack Contents:

Blade
: Eddison #1 (5-7)
Razor: Gillette Slim (3), Razoroack Gamechanger .64-P, GameChanger .84OC
Pre shave: Hot Shower, The Tube 2.0 (2)
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Triskele, Southern Witchcraft Samhain, PAA Atomic Pumpkin
AS: Clubman (2), PAA Atomic Pumpkin
Brush: Razorock Big Bruce, Omega boar, RV 25mm STF

1667689430583.png

The Eddison's performance has been rock solid for seven shaves now. They all have been really smooth, smoother than my trail footwork for sure. Much more so than the Timor and I think it's on par with the Gillette Platinum or Gillette Ninja for sharpness. At least, I think so. This last shave seemed somewhat less smooth. The GC64 is a smooth razor but I haven't used it in a while, maybe I was feeling my technique.

Seems like many are getting 6-8 good shaves out of this blade (at least) so I'm going see how shave #8 goes.

I wanted to mention that I used a sample of Murphy & McNeil Triskele and WOW! This soap is amazing, the post-shave feel unlike any other soap I've tried, my face felt smooth, soft and bizarrely healthy for hours afterwards. I'm not sure what's in their base but it felt almost prescription dermalogic in it's effect. This particular scent, triskele, is a little powdery/talc for me but I definitely want to try more of their scents and get a container of the scent I really enjoy. I LOVED how it made my skin feel.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

DE9ACE3B-E8D0-4C94-B2E1-CC320430C6E9.jpeg

Discovery Adventure Week 2 Blade 2 the German Timor.​

Today was the seventh and last shave with the German Timor blade. I got there, after shave number one I didn’t think that this blade would last a weeks worth of shaves. It did and it started off rough but finished up fine. Not the sharpest blade that I have used but certainly worthwhile in continuing on until the end. Next week I will use the third and last blade in this Adventure the Bolzano. I have used Bolzano blades before and I like them so next week should be a good week.

Date
365 days of shaving312/310
(100%)
GRUME06/30 (100%)
NOCvember
06/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 1/3
Timor 0/3
Eddison 0/3

Passes3 and touch up
WXTG (2)Gillette Slide
(NE-SW)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
8/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (Clean)
10/10 (Comfortable)

Razor
Blade
Brush
KCG with Lasta Blue handleGerman Bolzano (3)Kox Blue Synthetic
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallow Nr 1
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Chanel Allure (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave: here

The third shave with the first Bolzano blade and it makes my KCG even milder than it already is.

This soap is amazing! I decreased the amount I used compared to yesterday and it still provided a wonderful rich and thick lather. Thin coat remains even after rising between passes. Excellent glide and I like the subdued scent too - fresh and fruity. Apparently I saved the best for last without knowing it.

253F3497-96D3-442B-BA7A-CFF74C0AA897.jpeg

The Discovery Adventure Continues!!

A call goes out to all those with Adventurous Hearts but have stayed on the docks!! There are still Blades waiting to be discovered!! I have 2 Bolzano Superinox Inossidabile Blades remaining and a whole bunch of Eddison Stainless Blades and Timor Stainless Blades!!

If any would like to try any of these Blades, send me a PM with your address and how many Blades you'd like!!

A great big Thanks and recognition to our current 39 Discovery Adventurers!! You are doing amazing!!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

D420D961-EE2B-4524-91D5-9189788DE67C.jpeg

Discovery Adventure Week 3 Blade 3 Bolzano.​

Today was a good shave. Nivea pretty much all the way. I have used Bolzano blades before and I do like them, no blood just a little sting with the Alum Block. Looking forward to using this blade all week.

Mon 7 Discovery Adventure Round 5!
Soap & Aftershave
Yaqi Musketeer Rapier
Brush SOC Cherry Wood Boar
Razor Yaqi DLC Bronze Handle
Blade Timor Stainless 5th
The soap & matching splash smells really nice and strong. The lather created by the excellent brush was fabulous...
Still a good shave with this blade in the razor. Although not as smooth nor efficient but still easy & comfortable enough in 3passes for a dfs+ finish.
20221107_125147.jpg

Bolzano v Timor - round 4
TL;DR mainly clean up duties for the DEs, maybe Bolzano is now slightly sharper?

I did the up, then down neck passes with a newly restored SR that needed testing. The two New SCs shaved my cheeks and then cleaned up the neck maelstroms - the least cooperative whiskers and the most sensitive skin that gets shaved in my den (a mustache is like cheating, right?). Today the Bolzano took the left/easier side, but... for a finale it stepped over to the right side and and took down the last swirly remains that the Timor was passing over.

Bolzano left side, Timor right
Williams Mug in a twist-up tube
Omega 10065 boar in the green colorway
Barbasol Brisk

Finding my way: Chapter 12

Chapter 12 Cliff's Notes: It was the best of the Eddison, it was the worst of the Eddison.

This was the last shave for the Eddison, shave #8. I used the Tech again and unlike last time the whole shave was rough and post shave has been a bit uncomfortable. I've got patches of irritation that were exacerbated from last shave, kinda. It feels like I was bushwhacked by a small cute otter who really wanted to play.

otter GIF

Flask's Adventure Pack Contents:

Blade
: Eddison #1 (8)
Razor: Gillette Tech
Pre shave: damp, lukewarm towel (that didn't work out great), The Tube 2.0
Soap: A&E Boo
AS: A&E Boo
Brush: RV 25mm STF

The Eddison is a great medium to pretty sharp blade, especially shaves 2-6. For those shaves it's comparable to the greats we talk about, but perhaps isn't as long lasting as a Gillette Platinum or 7'o clock black. It worked noticeably better for me than the Timor when it was in it's sweet spot.

On to the Bolzano! The adventure continues!

Adventure 5 - First Introduction to Bolzano
Tradere OC, Wee Scot, Canada Shaving Soap, Captain's Choice Bay Rum aftershave

Coming from the Timor, this Bolzano is a revelation. My experience is mirroring @RenoRichard here. Super smooth blade, extremely close shave. One shave is too soon to make an conclusions, but if it holds up like this, it's going to be difficult for Eddison to make any ground against the Bolzano, hehe.

Razor: Aristocrat
Blade: Eddison (5)
Bowl: Fine
Brush: Muhle synthetic
Soap: MacDuff's Soap Company - Birch + Root
Aftershave: Wm. Neumann & Co. - Old Fashioned Soda

Shave 5 with the Eddison blade was very comfortable, and the blade is still very sharp, so it will be on to shave 6 tomorrow. The MacDuff's soap is excellent... super slick and stable. I will definitely be buying more MacDuff's.
IMG_3091 (2).JPG

Date
365 days of shaving313/311
(100%)
GRUME07/30 (100%)
NOCvember
07/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 1/3
Timor 0/3
Eddison 1/3

Passes2 and touch up
WXTGGillette Slide/Slant
(NE-SW)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
8.5/10 (BBS-)
10/10 (Clean)
10/10 (Comfortable)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41
Matador with Lasta Blue handle
Eddison (1)
German Bolzano (4)
Omega Super Badger
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
AlphaMen 2.0 (Creed Clone)
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Chanel Allure (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

The fourth shave with the first Bolzano blade (in Matador) and first shave with the first Eddison blade in the R41. The Eddison is an excellent blade! First pass with the R41 and if I have the first pass a bit more attention this could have been a one pass BBS shave! Really smooth and comfortable - not buttery smooth but close.

The fourth running of the Bolzano in the Matador was equally satisfying. This was buttery smooth. ATG without any problems. And BBS was there.

Nothing much to add today. Soap and everything else was performing as usual.

Excellent start of the day!

Eddison #8-10
1.65 WR2
Hallows soap
Still glad I didn’t toss this blade. Shaves 8-10 have been pretty darn good. It was rough but has settled down. Not quite sharp, so a bit,just a bit grabby. Overall still happy but I know @Grundi will ban me from any further blades if I don’t get to the other two soon. Plan as of today is this blade through this week for shaves 11 and 12.

Top Bottom