What's new

GIVEAWAY! Discovery PIF - Your Amazing Adventure Begins With A Great Shave!!

AnimalCatcher

Thinking of Ricardo Montalban
Razor: Aristocrat
Blade: Eddison (1)
Brush: Muhle
Bowl: Fine
Soap: I Coloniali - Mango
Aftershave: Santa Maria Novella

After using the Timor blade, it was very nice to get back to the Eddison. The first shave with the Eddison actually felt smoother than the second and third shaves with the Timor.

The I Coloniali shaving soap was super slick and my favorite razor performed superbly. DFS with my routine three passes and a touchup shave. Looking forward to the second go-round with this excellent blade.
IMG_3074 (3).JPG

Edisson #1 face shave
razor: Ranger Tech (new to me) flea B.
brush : mixed mighty midget
soap: Fitjar
AS: proraso red
AB: nivea sensitive

2+ pass face shave, had one weeper (strange); the cheeks were nice and smooth, under the mandible/neck: not as close as I like but I did not keep on seeking the irritation bbs.

All in all, good blade, need to use in a razor I know and trust.

Joyful, joyful, I am joyful. The mail delivered @Grundi ‘s envelope today.

Looking forward to my first shave tomorrow with a Bolzano in my Razorine Flatboy!

Thank you so much @Grundi and @Space_Cadet for this amazing opportunity.

Happy shaves everyone and I will be posting my findings from now on. I am on the Excalibur side of life so also looking forward to explore the longevity of these blades.

Cheers,

Guido
image.jpg

Discovery Adventure- Bolzano blade 2, shave 1: This morning's shave was good, the Bolzano felt both sharper and smoother than the Timor. In fact, I got a weeper I didn't feel at all. The result for this morning's two-pass shave was good- 9/10, DFS, and achieved with less effort than yesterday's Timor blade shave. So far the Bolzano beats out the Timor for me.

Today's shave: Tech, Bolzano blade, Wholly Kaw Dance of Agrumes soap, Omega boar brush, and WK Dance of Agrumes AS.

Have a wonderful day!
PXL_20221103_184119340.PORTRAIT_2.jpg

Amazing Adventure Discovery Shave -- 11/3/2022

Razor
: Blackland Blackbird SS
Blade: Eddison
Brush: Semogue mixed knot
Soap: Stirling Soap Co. - Triumph
A/S: Proraso green

Now that my tub of Nocturne has turned civilized, I feel liberated to experience other adventures.

IMG_20221103_201341350.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

F38BF50C-DA64-436F-8959-94676E0C5C67.jpeg

Discovery Adventure Week 2 Blade 2 German Timor.​

Fifth shave on this Timor blade. No blood today, it feels like it is smoothing out okay but doesn’t seem to that sharp. I don’t know if that makes any sense. I am still going to aim for seven shaves on this blade. I thought that it might be done after one or two shaves but I am going to persist through and see what happens.

Soap- Van Der Hagen deluxe (killed)
Brush- 22 mm pure badger
Razor- Merkur Progress
Blade- Timor (3)
Aftershave- Stetson cooling moisture
result- BBS
2 days growth. blade was smooth and no tugging. No cuts, no nicks, no weepers, and no irritation! End of round one. For me the best shaves where with the Timor. The Eddison was a close second and the Bolzano a distant 3rd. I used a different razor with each blade so maybe not the fairest of tests. Next round same razor for all 3 blades.

Bolzano v Timor - second round
TL;DR second shave, maybe sharper?, still neck and neck...
65F2E599-3160-4224-BB07-9543CC4E88FA.jpeg

So, ha ha, I grew two day stubble and sent the New SC twins after the neck. Today's SR just detailed the cheeks.

Timor left side, Bolzano right
Mike's Natural Soaps Barbershop - very mellow
Omega 10065
Floïd The Genuine - I'm either in a groove or a rut
Once again, the software is mostly flask28's fault

The XL-manly stubble and the quick lathering was meant to challenge the blades. They both performed well, though I could tell they were working hard on pass 1.
Pass 2 (N-S) felt sharp, smooth and simple.
The maelstrom clean up was fast and effective, just as a New SC should deliver.

No complaints, a fine showing from each blade. Onwards!

Bolzano v Timor - second round
TL;DR second shave, maybe sharper?, still neck and neck...
View attachment 1551180
So, ha ha, I grew two day stubble and sent the New SC twins after the neck. Today's SR just detailed the cheeks.

Timor left side, Bolzano right
Mike's Natural Soaps Barbershop - very mellow
Omega 10065
Floïd The Genuine - I'm either in a groove or a rut
Once again, the software is mostly flask28's fault

The XL-manly stubble and the quick lathering was meant to challenge the blades. They both performed well, though I could tell they were working hard on pass 1.
Pass 2 (N-S) felt sharp, smooth and simple.
The maelstrom clean up was fast and effective, just as a New SC should deliver.

No complaints, a fine showing from each blade. Onwards!
Liking those twins!!

C0170E73-8A7E-42C5-B176-49BCF9EC280E.jpeg

Date
365 days of shaving310/308
(100%)
GRUME04/30 (100%)
NOCvember
04/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 1/3
Timor 0/3
Eddison 0/3

Passes3
WXTG(2)Gillette Slant
(NE-SW)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
8/10 (DFS+)
6/10 (Cut b/o user error)
10/10 (Comfortable)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Razorine Flatboy with Lasta Red HandleGerman Bolzano (1)Omega Proraso
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Shibusa
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave: here

With the gracious actions by @Grundi and @Space_Cadet this morning’s shave is with the first of three brands of blades. First up is the Bolzano - choosing this one because I was really curious following my earlier conversations with @never-stop-learning. I know it’s Fatip Friday, but I brought out the Flatboy for this first shave.

It was comfortable and smooth with some tugging on the first pass.

Almost no stinging from the aftershave which tells me it was a gentle shave with this blade. Very nice experience in this first use.

Fri 4 Discovery Adventures Round 4 with Eddison in the lead again!
Soap & Aftershave Yaqi Lemon, Lime Cedarwood
Brush Yaqi 24mm Mountain Lake 2 Band Badger
Razor RazoRock GC.84-P
Blade Eddison Stainless 4th👍👍👍
Nice enough soap for the fabulous lather and the cooling scent, accentuated by the matching splash. The brush is just fantastic...
A better shave with this blade paired with the razor. Silky smooth and efficient in 3passes for a bbs finish!
20221104_204931.jpg

Bolzano ● Blade #2 ● Shave #2

20221104_150954-01-01.jpeg

The second shave with this blade was an unspectacular one. The two passes on setting 2 (wtg/atg) were fairly smooth, but not overly efficient. I decided not to go all in as the result was "good enough" for a day in remote work mode.

Onward to shave no. 3.
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Timor Blade #1, Side #1, Shave #4
Razor: Twig
Blade: Timor (4)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Pre-shave: Badger pre-Shave Oil
Soap: AOS Peppermint
Aftershave: Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum

Nothing particularly good or bad with this shave. It was smooth and efficient enough to produce a DFS result.

AnimalCatcher

Thinking of Ricardo Montalban
Razor: Aristocrat
Blade: Eddison (2)
Bowl: Fine
Brush: Muhle
Soap: Stirling - Bay Rum
Aftershave: Wm. Neumann & Co. - Bay Rum

Three passes and touch-up resulted in a DFS with no weepers or irritation. This second Eddison blade is performing just like the first one, top-notch.
IMG_3076 (3).JPG

Discovery Adventure- Bolzano blade 2, shave 2: This morning's shave was great, the Bolzano felt sharp and smooth; sharp enough for an unfelt weeper. Today's result was the best shave yet in this adventure- a two-pass shave with a little cleanup that ended up 10/10, BBS, with not much effort. Maybe an unusually good blade, or lucky lather, but my shave was great! This discovery adventure is lots of fun and I'm enjoying these three never-before-tried blades.

Today's shave: Tech, Bolzano blade, Stirling Varen soap, Omega boar brush, and Floid Genuine AS.

Have a great day!

PXL_20221104_170438574.PORTRAIT_2.jpg

3E5756A4-B812-453A-9821-B2857CB8DDB0.jpeg

New Gear Week / Exploration Blade PIF / NOCvember

Pre: P.A.A. Cube 2.0

Razor: Tatara Masamune Ti
Blade: Eddison Super Stainless

Soap: P.A.A. CaD
Brush: Vikings Blade White Knight
Bowl: Bluff Cove Pottery

Post 1: P.A.A. Alum No-Slip Grip System w / Dry Dock System
Post 2: Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/ Menthol & Eucalyptus
Aftershave: P.A.A. Speakeasy
Post 4: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream Extra-Dry w/ Hyaluronic Acid

I have some samples I've been sitting on for a bit so for today's shave my hand easily went to CaD. This is P.A.A's take on the classic but ubiquitous "Barbershop" scent. Though I don't have a ton of familiarity with this genre, I do have a pretty sophisticated nose.

As you may or may not be aware of, scents from P.A.A. may fall into a genre here or there but when you smell them they're never ordinary or simple. There's always a little something different there. A little extra flare if I may. Try more than a few of their scents and you'll know what I'm talking about. This quality or style is something I always look forward to when the opportunity arrises to try something new (to me) of theirs. Identifying those little extra bits is almost like being excited to open a gift you have no idea of what it is. It's just a surprise and the excitement that goes along with that feeling is fun to say the least.

I paired up the Eddison Super Stainless blade (day 2) with my Tatara Masamune Ti razor. This combo of quality blade with highly engineered titanium razor was a wise choice. I did a three-pass shave with some against the grain buffing and am enjoying a BBS face.

The White Knight whipped up the dollop of CaD no sweat in my beautiful Bluff Cove Pottery bowl, helped in no small part by its embossed spiral at the bottom. The lather smelled really good and protected me perfectly.

I put on the usually post shave products including alum, witch hazel and the ever so fantastic Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream. For today's aftershave though I went with P.A.A's Speakeasy. Again, the finesse and class show in the overall compilation. It's listed as being built of rose, sage, bergamot, citrus, wood and amber. I wouldn't argue about any of that as I do pick up each note. In my opinion it's a pretty equal blend of them all.

So that's it for today's shave fellas. Another BBS in the books.

Rock on gentlemen and enjoy your shaves!

What the heck, why not another souvenir adventure hat…

CC740673-BBB8-4BF5-A57E-BA6F2AFCB183.jpeg

(Ok, that was too much effort, probably my first, last, and only attempt at a movie poster! 😀)

I just parted ways with Eddison, but was visited by another interesting character today. This one comes to me in a plain white wrapper. Says his name is Bolzano, which sounds Italian, but he has a German accent. He comes babbling some nonsense about about spells and magic, says he wants to make me a shaving wizard. Well who am I to say no??

Lesson 1 from Professor Bolzano is "Don't overwork your mustache corners!" 4 weepers today, 3 from trying too hard on the corners. "But professor, the hairs lie flat there! How am I supposed to shave them smooth? I have to rub my fingertip ATG to lift them up and shave over them again, and keep doing it until I get them all!" He just shakes his head and tells me I'm in my second year of DE shaving and I'm still shaving like a first year.

The blade? Oh, the blade seems medium sharpness. Got a small bit of resistance and pull even on my neck and jawlines that I didn't get with Eddison, but still plenty sharp, not uncomfortable or anything. The weepers, at least, we fleeting. The result: DFS+, with only mild irritation.

Adventure rating: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the 2005 remake with Johnny Depp)

Top Bottom