What's new

GIVEAWAY! Discovery PIF - Your Amazing Adventure Begins With A Great Shave!!

Adventure 12 - First Eddison (4)
Tradere SB, RazoRock BC Silvertip, Tabac

The brush is huge. I've been using a Wee Scot for 10 years, so jumping all the way to 24mm is ridiculous.
In the Tradere SB, this Eddison is proving to be a delightful combination of extreme smoothness and good effectiveness.

Eddison Blade #2 Shave #7
Tools: Yaqi Mercury Razor, Mogno soap & Plissoft brush.
If the Henson AL13 ++ V2 is a Sports Car then the Yaqi Mercury is a Bulldozer. :w00t:
A nice three pass shave this A.M. resulted in a DFS. :thumbup1:
No nicks but got some light neck irritation that Aqua Velva Ice Blue took care of. :001_smile

Date
365 days of shaving344/340
(100%)
GRUME December7/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
Gillette Slide
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks)
(S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Razorine Flatboy with common bar handleBolzano (10)Omega Roma
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
TGS Furiah
Proraso
Cold splash
Floïds the Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS+)
7/10 (Irritation on the neck)

Notes to today’s shave:

What happens after your first anniversary of DE wet shaving? Well, the journey simply continues with another shave! Inspired by @Jack Goossen I pulled out the Flatboy taking the second Bolzano into double digits. The combination works rather well with the Flatboy providing an excellent shave at just two passes. I did a third pass for fun and to turn it into a BBS homerun. After the shave however I discovered I missed some problem areas in my neck. Yesterday's irritation was still there after the shave today which is a signal for me that although the blade performed well, it might be time to move on. The KCG is just harsher in the KCG razor than it is in other razors (like the Fatip) and so irritation was kind of expected to be honest.

The Roma brush was again a delight to use. Nice lather from the Furiah and sufficient splay with backbone for a nice massaging face lather with a last pass bowl lathering to reinvigorate the soap.

Floïds did not sting as much which is also evidenced by the return of stubble only some 7 hours after the shave. But all was good in shaveland as far as I am concerned.

Enjoy your shave today!

Bolzano Shave #9

Razor: Gillette Gold Tech
Blade: Bolzano (9)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Brush: Yaqi Atlantis
Soap: Stirling Agar
Witch Hazel
Balm: Neutrogena Triple Protect
Aftershave: faux Bootlegger’s Perfecto Maduro

I’m really enjoying this blade. Smooth and efficient. DFS+ without worries. It’s a good one.

97387ABD-B365-49A9-A5D9-57F65B7A3676.jpeg

Amazing Adventure
Dec. 6
Razor: Slim, set at 8
Blade: Timor (blade 2, first shave)

For the second Timor, I figured I needed something more aggressive to get the job done, so I opened the Slim to 8 and had a try. The bigger gap and heavier razor did get me a closer shave, and I managed not to get any cuts of note, but it really felt like I just made it.

The spot under my lip was the hardest and strangest. Most dull blades give me strong resistance as I slice through the hairs. This blade, in this spot, felt like I was trying to shave a hair brush with a credit card. Maybe that’s not the right image, but it felt like the blade was just sticking in and catching or skimming over the tops of the beard hairs.

The shave ended up fine, not that much irritation. It did grow back sooner than most shaves. It wasn’t a shave I want to repeat and I won’t.

Timor - Blade 1, Shave 1

Never tried this blade before so I had no idea what to expect. I had 48 hours of beard growth. My whiskers are tough and I usually use blades that are pretty sharp.
I paired the blade with my Yaqi Telstar, which can be considered a pretty efficient razor. Like my 34C, it gives me a good indication of whether a blade is sharp enough or smooth enough for me. Less sharp blades work well in this razor. I usually get good shaves when this razor is paired with not so sharp blades.
The Timor blade wasn't sharp enough for me. The first pass, there was quite a bit of tugging, especially around my goatee area. Second pass was OK and so was the third. I needed to do more touch ups to get the result I wanted. But this is a very smooth blade. Even after going over certain areas multiple times, there was no irritation etc. Absolutely no feedback when using the alum block. If this blade was a couple of steps up in sharpness but still as smooth, I'd definitely consider getting more.
I know that most blades improve after the first shave but I don't expect this one to miraculously perform like a Nacet on it's second use. Therefore I'm going to call it quits here. I personally would recommend Timor blades to those just starting out as it does feel like a very forgiving blade. As for me, it really isn't sharp enough.

Next up, Eddison.

Finding my way: Chapter 22

DecemBOAR Shave 4

1670475226335.png

Flask's Adventure Pack Contents:

Blade
: Eddison #2 (1)
Razor: Razorock GameChanger .84 OC(5)
Pre shave: Shower. the Tube 2.0
Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Brush: Zenith B33

Aaaaaaah. The Eddison again. Now, This Is The Way. I was so looking forward to coming back to this blade. Sooooth and sharp, a top tier blade in my opinion. A really big difference coming from the Timor, like getting your nice kitchen knife back all sharp after 5 years of abuse.

Finding my way: Chapter 22

DecemBOAR Shave 4

View attachment 1568873

Flask's Adventure Pack Contents:

Blade
: Eddison #2 (1)
Razor: Razorock GameChanger .84 OC(5)
Pre shave: Shower. the Tube 2.0
Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Brush: Zenith B33

Aaaaaaah. The Eddison again. Now, This Is The Way. I was so looking forward to coming back to this blade. Sooooth and sharp, a top tier blade in my opinion. A really big difference coming from the Timor, like getting your nice kitchen knife back all sharp after 5 years of abuse.
The Eddison blade is excellent on my opinion. Is that a Razorock thin bar on the GC?

Guido

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

8ACA7431-9F08-42B4-BA81-C9965981DAC4.jpeg

Discovery Adventure Week 7 Third and last dance with the Timor.​

Discovery Adventure week seven third and last dance with the German Timor blade. Same again today. No blood or any redness again, shaves are getting better as I go on. Exactly the same as last two times that I used these blades. I have mentioned this before, much like my experience with the Shark Blades. Start off bad but end up good after some use.

Date
365 days of shaving345/341
(100%)
GRUME December8/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
Gillette Slide
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks)
(S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SCBEddison (11)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face lathered
Cold splash
Floïds the Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Momentous shave today with the Timeless. I had a fair amount of stubble today (indication that the Bolzano has had its best shave behind it)and so I thought to bring out my Timeless for Timeless Thursday or something. The Eddison blade up to bat for the 11th time.

The Timeless and the Eddison took no prisoners and I was already at CCS levels after the first pass to arrive at DFS+ on the second pass. The third pass took it for a homerun - not absolutely necessary - but sooo good and BBS was there again. Trouble areas were a bit more challenging for the blade, but still very decently done. Smooth, comfortable and no irritation on the neck where I had irritation yesterday and the day before. Again a sign that in retrospect the Bolzano will be retired with a very respectable 10 shaves. Overall I still view the Eddison blade the performer of the three Discovery Blades and given the track record I have with Personna blades outperforming my expectations by a fair amount (as in nearing the double number of shaves I get from a Personna Red - I yet need to test my other Personna's).

Extended shave notes can be found here.

Enjoy your shaves today!

Amazing Adventure
Dec. 8
IMG_9775.jpg

Razor: Slim, set at 8
Blade: Bolzano (blade 2, first shave)

I ditched the Timor, kept the turned-up Slim and swapped in a Bolzano. Much sharper and plenty smooth. The second pass, across the grain, had taken most of the stubble down in the less-dense areas like mid-cheek. I did have a stray weeper or two. Someone cautious would have seen this as an opportunity to crank the Slim down to 6 for an easy layup, but I pressed on against the grain at 8. It wasn't too bad. I did get a few scattered weepers, had some slow going in the mustache/smile line edge, but got through for a really good shave.

Some irritation as it's growing in, but not bad, and I wasn't really trying to avoid it. It's still at least DFS in more places than it usually is this time of day, so I'll take it. Going to repeat this setup for shave #2 with the Bolzano.

E316ABCE-5A0E-43FA-9C41-5C7F98B9FDCA.jpeg

Blackland Thursday / Unknown Gems Week / Discovery Blade PIF / DecemBoar

Pre: Topsy Blends Gold and Glowing Raw Honey Cleanser Foaming Face Wash

Razor: T.R. Cadman & Sons "Bengall"
Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: Eddison Super Stainless (D12)

Post 1: P.A.A. Alum No-Slip Grip System w/ Hyaluronic Acid
Post 2: Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/ Menthol & Eucalyptus
Aftershave: Pinaud Citrus Musk
Post 4: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream Extra-Dry w/ Hyaluronic Acid

Sticking with the current set of relevant shaving themes I opted for my Blackland Blackbird to accompany the Bengall I've been using so frequently.

I paired the Blackbird with the Eddison Super Stainless blade I've been so impressed with. I mean today's shave is the eleventh shave I've gotten out of it! This is a record for any blade I've used before. A definite (unknown) "gem" in my opinion.

Speaking of gems, I want to call attention to the Topsy Blends (pre-shave) face wash I used. I picked this up from a local aromatherapist at my local community market that sells many amazing essential oil products. This face wash is great though, with its components of organic castile soap, organic jojoba oil, organic raw honey, and 100% pure therapeutic grade essential oils of tea tree, lavender, frankincense, and geranium, I had a very enjoyable time simply washing my face. Simple pleasures, right? If you're curious about their products go check out their online store.

I did my typical multi-pass shave, chasing that bbs finish. The Bengall has been serving me well for my initial couple/few passes. Switching to the Blackbird it did a superb job with the just-won't-quit Eddison blade.

The Phoenix Shaving Future Fiction soap performed amazingly as usual and the scent is to die for. I feel like if you've never tried Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements soaps before, Future Fiction has to be the first one you try. If you already like the brand, you have to have this one in your rotation.

After a wonderful shave, I splashed on some Pinaud Citrus Musk. It's unmistakably a Pinaud fragrance and one that I enjoy from time to time.

All in all, a great shave was had today. More gems to come...

Take care and shave on gentlemen.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

5E25476B-53FA-4103-A422-C4E202A1873F.jpeg

Discovery Adventure Week 7 Third crack at the Timor blade.​

Discovery Adventure week seven and third and last crack at the Timor blade. Pretty good shave today, again no blood, nicks or redness. As I mentioned yesterday, this blade does seem to get better with use. I am lucky that I am not a one and done blade user. As first use leaves a lot to be desired and I can just about always get my weeks worth out of a blade.

Top Bottom