What's new

GIVEAWAY! Discovery PIF - Your Amazing Adventure Begins With A Great Shave!!

Date
365 days of shaving340/336
(100%)
GRUME December3/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
Gillette Slide (2nd pass)
(NW-SE | cheeks)
(S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW Flat Bottom
Timor (4)
Kox Blue Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Dutchy Bergamot
Kox Enamel
Face lathering
Cold splash
Floïd (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)9.5/10 (Tiny weeper)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Thought I would try the Timor blade in an open comb this time. The NFB is a great razor. Efficient and effective while simultaneously providing smoothness. I used the stock handle this time. That is a bit on the thinner side for me, but it makes the razor very nimble.

The combination with the Timor worked out pretty well. Two passes would have been perfectly acceptable. I just took my time and concentrated on reduction rather than speed so did a third pass. Whilst not going ATG on the moustache area and rather slanted still a BBS finish there so pleased with that. The harder parts of my beard ATG with the Timor feel harsher.

Face lathered again today taking time to really build the lather. Actually a zen side to this ritual while building the lather. The Kox Blue is an excellent lather maker at that so the shave was already off too a great start even before the passes.

Now off to do some gardening, get some soaps and pay a visit to the parents. See how my dad has been doing with his KCG I gave him.

Enjoy your day!

Finding my way: Chapter 19

First DecemBOAR shave!

1670134219731.png

Flask's Adventure Pack Contents:

Blade
: Timor #2 (2)
Razor: Gillette SuperAdjustable84 (5)
Pre shave: Shower
Soap: MWF Stick
AS: None
Brush: 2014 B&B Essential Boar

The Timor's second shave smoothed out from the first, much like the first Timor blade did. And it's medium sharp, did a good job on two passes, a DFS- which is good for my technique level.

Speaking of Adventures: I'm face lathering with a stick for December, two things I don't have much experience with, and I'm really enjoying it for far. I liked scrubbing my face with the brush a lot more (than you do bowl lathering), it felt nice with this brush and was relaxing, somehow.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

7D35A581-6E6B-4E1A-8C8C-3248D4D7860B.jpeg

Discovery Adventure Week 6 Bolzano revisit.​

Discovery Adventure week 6 and shave number seven on the Bolzano revisit. I got my usual seven shaves out this blade. Another good shave today and back to using soaps for a change. Tabac was the soap of choice and I used my newly acquired second hand Omega 10066. A good start to me Sunday. Guess what…. I found the missing Timor blade, it had fallen down the side of the bathroom vanity. Dare I use it tomorrow, time will tell.

I am still derailed onto the slant track.

RazoRock Superslant L3
Bolzano blade 2, shave 1
Col. Ichabod Conk Lime for glycerin stubble prep / Omega 10065 boar breaking in
Ach. Brito Mogno for shaving lather / Omega 10005 boar
Captain's Choice Bay Rum

B301FAC4-0D0D-460E-8B92-09D4A58B15CD.jpeg

Interesting Discovery - the Timor, the Bolzano, and a Merkur blade I had at hand are all difficult to load into the Superslant's billet machined, close tolerance, acutely slanted cap.

Is there only one blade manufacturing facility in Germany? Russian, Israeli, Indian, and Turkish blades all could be loaded quite easily.

The shave, BTW, was superb.

TIMOR ● BLADE 3 ● SHAVE 1

20221204_142840.jpeg

The fresh Timor blade was a nice pairing with the Parker 62R, this blade really offers a good balance of smoothness and sharpness 👌
BBS on the face and a DFS result on the neck. Overall, a really enjoyable shave free of nicks...

Onward to shave no. 2

Enjoy your Sunday, y'all!

Date
365 days of shaving341/337
(100%)
GRUME December4/31 (100%)
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve
Gillette Slide (2nd pass)
(NW-SE | cheeks)
(S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW LC with Red Lasta Handle
Timor (5)
Razorock 400 Plissoft
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
TGS Furiah
Proraso
Cold splash
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Fifth run with the Timor and this time in the NEW Long Comb. A super smooth shave ensued. This razor is a very tiny bit more comfortable than the NEW Flat Bottom, but the Flat Bottom is more effective - 12h past the shave I feel more stubble than I did yesterday. Still this is an amazing razor with good nimble abilities.

The blade was a bit more tuggy on the moustache area, but other than that performance wise it was still a good run. Since commencing the Discovery Adventure beginning of November I have shaved only with these blades and now we’re in the first week of December and the blades are still in the Oregonian zone. Maybe more towards the end of the life span, but still great longevity so far.
Perfect way to start Sunday - well we’re heading towards Monday here already, but ok.

Additional shave notes can be found here

Bolzano blade shave #4
TI 1.65 WR2
B&M Death
Super smooth shave. Few red spots (more like dots, tiny) but didn’t feel it and AS didn’t really sting either. I don’t have any complaints with the way this blade is going. I’m more nervous about the Timor that’s coming next.

Bolzano Blade 1, Shave 2

Paired the blade with my Merkur Futur and went to work on 3 days' beard growth. Another great shave with his blade. 2 passes and some touch ups for a super smooth, irritation free shave. This blade definitely pairs well with more aggressive razors. The blade felt sharp as it had no problems handling my tough beard.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

985B1B2C-5B27-4B3E-B06E-391CDDBD9582.jpeg

Discovery Adventure Week 7 Timor third attempt.​

Discovery Adventure Week 7 third and final dance with the dreaded German Timor blade. I was going to cork this blade when I last spoke about using it. I lost it and then found it. Then when I started shaving this morning I even forget to cork it. Had an okay shave, no blood no redness but not a really good shave. After three passes I could still feel a little stubble when rinsing my face and I could still feel the same stubble in the shower after my shave. Anyway I am committed to finishing my three Timor blades now and let’s see how the rest of the week goes.

I had another week of shaving with the Timor blades. It was six shaves. This is my second week and my second blade.

These are interesting blades for me because I have not had a nick in two weeks of shaving with these blades.

They seem to reach that happy medium between sharp enough to shave closely, but not sharp enough to cut the skin.

I generally prefer sharper blades because I feel they are more efficient but maybe I should rethink that.

I also use the closed comb Lupo 95 and proraso shaving soap. The soap is protective but not overtly so. This razor is fairly aggressive but at the same time very efficient so in my estimation, this is a good blade and razor combination.

In my estimation, I prefer the bolzano than the Edison then Timor. Mainly because I feel bolzanos are the sharpest then Edison and Timor.

Maybe I should give these other blades more of an opportunity though because I did have a couple nicks with the edison and several with the bolzanos those but I had a 50 pack of those blades.

Thanks again for the opportunity to participate in this pif. Was not familiar with the Edison or Timor blades until now.

Finding my way: Chapter 20

Second DecemBOAR shave

1670219729964.png

Flask's Adventure Pack Contents:

Blade
: Timor #2 (3)
Razor: Gillette SuperAdjustable84 (4)
Pre shave: Shower. Tube 2.0
Soap: Ach Brito Mongo stick
AS: Pinaud Clubman
Brush: Omega Jade Boar

The Timor's third shave was great. Managed DFS with two passes, something I've been striving for but rarely achieve. It's rougher than the other two, for sure, but not horribly so. I took my time tonight, taking almost half again as long as I normally do. Part of that was the face lathering adventure I'm on in December, still working on building a face lather efficiently.

But face lathering feels so good, I wasn't really in a rush!

Slanted is the new normal...​

RazoRock Superslant L3, custom Ti handle
Bolzano blade 2, shave 2
Vulfix boar / Williams Mug
Richard's Rub rinse, Floïd the Genuine splash
1D17C3EF-FE65-4C1B-8164-11A436AE60CC.jpeg

The Bolzano got me the DFS I was aiming for. One pass and just a little clean up on the worst maelstrom. The tight fit of the German Bolzano in the Superslant makes opening the head slightly for rinsing a bit of a pain. I had to open the head and re-seat the blade with my fingers.

Date
365 days of shaving342/338
(100%)
GRUME December5/31 (100%)
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes2 and touch up pass (XTG)
WXTGCB Curve
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41
Timeless Ti95 SC
Timor (6)
Eddison (11)
Omega Proraso
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Dutchy Bergamot
Proraso
Cold splash
Floïds the Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)9.5/10 (Small weeper on the right side of the road)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
8/10 (Smoothish)

Notes to today’s shave:

The Timeless took the excellent first pass over the BBS finish line together with the Eddison blade. I required a bit more touch up / buffing signaling this blade is nearing the end of its lease as well. Superb performance in my book with 11 shaves at present. No tugging, no irritation, no harshness yet whatsoever.

Floïd's was nice and Nivea was nourishing. Nice kickstart of the week!

Enjoy your day!

Additional shave notes can be found here

Amazing Adventure
Dec. 4. 2022

IMG_9767.jpg

Razor: NEW short comb
Blade: Bolzano, third use

The Bolzano didn't regain its earlier form, needing more pressure to get through the stubble. Despite my caution, I still ended up with a few weepers. I'm retiring this blade and moving on.

Top Bottom