What's new

Discontinuance rumors and panic

Like you, I read the news about Proraso buying Valobra a month ago. Since then, I've read numerous of posts about the possibility of discontinuing the Valobra soap line. While this is pretty much unlikely to happen (Proraso wouldn't buy them to close them, they're both in the soap industry but in a different strategy team, as they focus on a different target group, they want a bigger market share as I see it), still some people panic like it's the end of the shaving world.
I won't talk about the performance or the scents, I said a few things in another thread, it's very subjective anyway.
In the unlikely event that Martelli, the Proraso owning company, decides to end the Valobra soap line, is it something to go crazy about and go buy all the remaining stock? Why all the panic? Really I can't get it.
It's a brand among too many. There are dozens if not hundreds great performing products out there. At the end of the day, it's not the soap that "shaves you", but rather your technique. Those who have a good one will be able to get good shaves with almost(!) any product.

I'd say that we need to relax a bit as a community. Not referring to this forum, but in general.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'd say that we need to relax a bit as a community. Not referring to this forum, but in general.

That kind of fervour probably accounts for more than half the sales of traditional shaving products. :D

"Oh, Brand A is being discontinued. Quick, buy it"

"Oh, Brand B just bought out a new thing. Quick, buy it"

"Oh, someone just used and liked something I've never used before. Quick, buy it"

"Oh, this has tallow in, and might be reformulated at some point in the next fifteen years. Quick, buy it"

"Oh, my usual supplier just ran out of something that I use three times a year, in and amongst all the other stuff on my piled high shelves. There might be a drought. Quick, search the internet, and buy more"

"An overseas seller of blades who's been lying about something going out of production for about four years, is still telling the same lies, even though there's loads of info out there exposing it as false. But it might be true this time. Quick, buy 500"

I don't mind, as it's keeping all the shops open, and when I do want to buy something that there isn't a panic about, there's more online vendors I can rummage through to get the best price :devil2:

I’d only seen the one thread here about it.

People like what they like and feel how they feel.

5A305007-93A3-4950-B825-5980A7F10480.gif

That kind of fervour probably accounts for more than half the sales of traditional shaving products. :D

"Oh, someone just used and liked something I've never used before. Quick, buy it"

"Oh, this has tallow in, and might be reformulated at some point in the next fifteen years. Quick, buy it"

"Oh, my usual supplier just ran out of something that I use three times a year, in and amongst all the other stuff on my piled high shelves. There might be a drought. Quick, search the internet, and buy more"

"An overseas seller of blades who's been lying about something going out of production for about four years, is still telling the same lies, even though there's loads of info out there exposing it as false. But it might be true this time. Quick, buy 500"

I don't mind, as it's keeping all the shops open, and when I do want to buy something that there isn't a panic about, there's more online vendors I can rummage through to get the best price :devil2:

I’m so guilty of this entire post. :( :lol:

So true.

I recall when the rumor was that Williams was stopping production of its soap. People who never tried Williams began looking for it and stockpiling it. One individual I know went to two different stores and bought over 20 pucks of this soap - even though he had never tried the modern version. He finally tried the soap - and hated it. Then there was the rumor that when ASR sold Personna, that the Medical Prep blades were going to be discontinued. Panic buying set in (and I have to admit I did some buying).

I bet some serious money that some have already bought many Valobra soaps. Also I bet that they will regret it when they see that even the hard pucks turn rancid (yellow spots and bad tallow smell) after some time.

I bet some serious money that some have already bought many Valobra soaps. Also I bet that they will regret it when they see that even the hard pucks turn rancid (yellow spots and bad tallow smell) after some time.

OMG, have you had Valobra pucks turn rancid??

Was it Valobra- or AOS-branded?
Valobra.

AoS turn yellowish as well. I can't say about the AoS scents though.

The Valobra sticks have the same issue. It's the same formula anyway. Mine has turned dark yellowish and bad smelling after 2.5 years of having it. Like Cella for example, even though it's not a croap.

All these have the same formula. Only the scent differs.
They turn yellowish, with strange spots on the surface after 2+ years, in perfect storage conditions. For example, the D.R. Harris, another tripple milled tallow soap is perfect, like the day one, after 4 years.

Valobra.
The Valobra sticks have the same issue. It's the same formula anyway. Mine has turned dark yellowish and bad smelling after 2.5 years of having it. Like Cella for example, even though it's not a croap.

My Valobra is from a small 2014 brick and, while it has yellowed a tad, otherwise it's fine, certainly no rancid or off-odors. Fortunately, no issue either with my Cella from either tub or brick.

valobra aging.jpg

Though I hate to see products disappear. I am always finding new ones to enjoy.

That said, I have an unopened brick of P160 sealed and awaiting to be found during one of the many archaeological digs that will occur after I am gone.

proxy.php

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well, though I like the Valobra soaps I've learned through experience that rumours of a death are sadly and sometimes commercially exaggerated .. take the Floid Blue episodes, I'm not even sure whether it is presently On or Off, but the 3 litres gathering dust under the bath sink say I shouldn't worry about it. I miss Plus Platinum Blades also, but still find a couple packs once in a while floating in the Bay. And recently found ABC hard soap reported as discontinued on a forum by a vendor alive and well by direct order from Italy. So, I don't get too jittery, as Nikos points out above, there's still a lot of good software out there .. and some of us will outlive the panic buys they stored up anyway

Veteran of the 2009 Irisch Moos Soap Campaign

I remember when I Coloniali became discontinued. It was/is one my favorites. I thought of buying 2-3 bowls just in case, but decided otherwise. Now, after almost two years (I think), my I Coloniali is 90% full. I used it today. I wouldn't be able to finish another, let alone two or more of this soap. I'm glad I didn't buy another, even though I simply love this soap and every time I use it I get an excellent shave.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Now I miss I Coloniali, but there may still be a sealed foil bag around with my last refill. My bowl of course will live on, but because of the discontinuance I use it sparingly .. good stuff, but it took this thread to recall it ..

For some people the rumors of a discontinued product are concerning because they have allergies. It can take months /years to find a product that works. The thought of starting the search over is discouraging to say the least. I stumbled into Haslinger tallow some years ago. I stocked up a bit on it so I have some in reserve. Its a soap that works well for me. 95% of the artisanal soaps I've tried are so loaded with EO's and FO's that I cant tolerate them. Glad I have the Haslinger in the batters box. Its vacuum sealed and safely stored. If it goes bad it goes bad. I think I have $40 invested in it so who cares.

Point being, everyones needs are different. Besides, the various acquisition disorders keep this little world spinning.

One thing that I believe that is discontinued is the Cade Rich Creme that was sold in the tub. I've looked everywhere for it and can't seem to locate it. It seems that it's only being sold in the tubes. Really wish I would have picked up an extra tub or two because I think it's the best cream going.

Top Bottom