What's new

Discontinuance rumors and panic

Valobra sticks still seem to available from Britain.

My first one has been in use since 2013, and while it has yellowed somewhat, the scent seems identical to me, although perhaps a bit weaker.

I've heard that @Raven Koenes' worst nightmare was a Fatip slant finally coming in the mail, but it had blade alignment issues. It held the blade straight like a regular Fatip. :laugh:

Last edited:

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
So I've been looking around for Valobra since the "rumor"....I take it this one was true and Proraso just bought a competitor to shut them down. Or is there a retailer with some "in stock"? It's still on a lot of websites, but it's been out-of-stock for a while....almost as if someone isn't resupplying them.

So I've been looking around for Valobra since the "rumor"....I take it this one was true and Proraso just bought a competitor to shut them down. Or is there a retailer with some "in stock"? It's still on a lot of websites, but it's been out-of-stock for a while....almost as if someone isn't resupplying them.

I don’t believe it. I am fairly certain 90%+ of Valobra’s sales came from bath soaps, which Proraso does not offer. The two companies are quite complementary from a business perspective.
Also, I would really doubt that Mr. Valobra would accept selling his family’s 115 year old business to a business partner that would shut them down.

Italian capitalism is quite different than American, with much slower decision making, more focus on heritage and tradition and more unlikely to see hostile takeovers

My guess? Proraso was very much focused on its new products for the next decade in 2019, and Valobra likely had too much stock in hand. I hope to see Valobra (probably with a new face) back in 2020

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I don’t believe it. I am fairly certain 90%+ of Valobra’s sales came from bath soaps, which Proraso does not offer. The two companies are quite complementary from a business perspective.
Also, I would really doubt that Mr. Valobra would accept selling his family’s 115 year old business to a business partner that would shut them down.

Italian capitalism is quite different than American, with much slower decision making, more focus on heritage and tradition and more unlikely to see hostile takeovers

My guess? Proraso was very much focused on its new products for the next decade in 2019, and Valobra likely had too much stock in hand. I hope to see Valobra (probably with a new face) back in 2020
I hope you're right. I do still see Valobra bath soaps still available, but not a stick or a cake of shaving soap to be had. As a former management consultant for both US and European firms, I've certainly noticed some cultural differences across countries and continents, but in general, my experience with family owned businesses is that the younger generations are far more interested in the cash than they are in the "legacy" of the family business. I don't know a thing about this transaction, so your guess (and anybody else's) will definitely be better than mine. If Valobra shaving soaps were extremely profitable, I would think the new owners would just keep on "printing money" by continuing the business; but letting it go dark to either re-brand or re-introduce usually alienates your current customer base. With all of the "artisan" soap makers worldwide, I'm not sure I'd try bringing that brand back (if I were Proraso), especially if I had an established manufacturing and distribution channels in place for my own brand.

Never mind me, I just frustrated having discovered Valobra fougere in a BST buy of soap lot, and really enjoying the product. It's why I avoid the "discontinued" stuff....why fall in love with Irisch Moos -- an undoubtedly excellent product -- only to have to pay 5 to 10 times the original cost of the soap whenever I run low. Okay, enough venting....I'm hoping I'm totally wrong and Valobra will re-appear as same product in different packaging.

I've heard that @Raven Koenes' worst nightmare was a Fatip slant finally coming in the mail, but it had blade alignment issues. It held the blade straight like a regular Fatip. :laugh:
Everything is normal, don't worry.

tower-1.jpg

I hope you're right. I do still see Valobra bath soaps still available, but not a stick or a cake of shaving soap to be had. As a former management consultant for both US and European firms, I've certainly noticed some cultural differences across countries and continents, but in general, my experience with family owned businesses is that the younger generations are far more interested in the cash than they are in the "legacy" of the family business. I don't know a thing about this transaction, so your guess (and anybody else's) will definitely be better than mine. If Valobra shaving soaps were extremely profitable, I would think the new owners would just keep on "printing money" by continuing the business; but letting it go dark to either re-brand or re-introduce usually alienates your current customer base. With all of the "artisan" soap makers worldwide, I'm not sure I'd try bringing that brand back (if I were Proraso), especially if I had an established manufacturing and distribution channels in place for my own brand.

Never mind me, I just frustrated having discovered Valobra fougere in a BST buy of soap lot, and really enjoying the product. It's why I avoid the "discontinued" stuff....why fall in love with Irisch Moos -- an undoubtedly excellent product -- only to have to pay 5 to 10 times the original cost of the soap whenever I run low. Okay, enough venting....I'm hoping I'm totally wrong and Valobra will re-appear as same product in different packaging.

I Fully agree, it would be a shame if Valobra did not return. Just to be sure I bought 5 sticks (my favorite scent) when I had the chance a few months ago, which should last at least a couple more years in my rotation. Also, I Still have half a dozen of Valobra bath soaps (my wife and I love them as face washes), so I should be good until they return.

Top Bottom