What's new

Dirty Bird Pottery, Finally pulled the trigger

So I finally pulled the trigger on not one but two amazing pieces from Dirty Bird Pottery. Just ordered a Brush Scuttle and a soap bowl. I'm holding off on the Original Scuttle since I really have been enjoying face lathering. Thought the soap bowl would hold me over until I'm ready for the Original.

If any of you have these products or have used any of them please share your opinions and experiences. :thumbup:

$600_IMG_2774.JPG

$600_IMG_2838.JPG

Last edited:
i have a DB1.5 scuttle as well as a Bill Bowl. both are fantastic pieces.

Julie is an amazing potter and i'm sure you will enjoy both items.

can't go wrong with DB pottery

I have the brush scuttle and it does a fine job as is or used just as a brush soak. I also enjoy my db 1.5 when used everything is top notch.

I know about "scuttles," so a "brush scuttle" does what exactly? Does it float in the sink or something?

From what I understand it is for face lathers to keep the lather warm while they shave. So what you would do is fill the outer cup with hot water then put the second piece in that and then while you shave you leave the brush filled with lather in it to keep it warm.

Last edited:
i have a DB1.5 scuttle as well as a Bill Bowl. both are fantastic pieces.

Julie is an amazing potter and i'm sure you will enjoy both items.

can't go wrong with DB pottery

So tell me, which do you prefer for a lthering bowl? The scuttle or the Bill Bowl?

I have a scuttle, and was thinking about a bowl for the times I don't need the warming aspects of the scuttle, and asked her if she'd make me just the lathering bowl part of the scuttle with a handle as a lathering bowl. She is willing, but I'd love to hear from someone with both which makes a better bowl for lathering if the heat is a non issue.

I do not have the regular scuttle; nor have I ever used one. I use the brush scuttle as a brush soak rather than using a sink of water. Then while shaving, it keeps the lather moderately warm between passes. I'd like it to be a little warmer; but that is most likely a function of my water heater setting rather than her pottery. The bowl works great for lathering. It is much larger than I expected; but is still easy to grip. You may be concerned about the size due to counter space. However, the brush scuttle fits inside the bowl. So, when not shaving you have three pieces of pottery stacked within each other rather than half your counter taken up with larger than expected pottery.

I'm pleased with both pieces. :)

From what I understand it is for face lathers to keep the lather warm while they shave. So what you would do is fill the outer cup with hot water then put the second piece in that and then while you shave you leave the brush filled with lather in it to keep it warm.
Good explanation. Thanks!

I followed your lead, and placed my own order with Julie today. Got a Bill Bowl, solid blue. Should have it in four to six weeks, so we can both show off our new Dirty Bird pieces about the same time. I promise to post photos when I get mine.

Nick

I followed your lead, and placed my own order with Julie today. Got a Bill Bowl, solid blue. Should have it in four to six weeks, so we can both show off our new Dirty Bird pieces about the same time. I promise to post photos when I get mine.

Nick

Hey Nick, sounds good! I'll post some pics as well. I didn't see solid colors as an option. Did you just make a special request? I got the blue rim on spice both bowl and brush scuttle.

Nando:

Another B&B guy clued me in to the possible customizations for the Bill Bowl. Just email Julie, and she can probably switch your order to a solid color if you want. She's awesome and responds quickly to email.

Nick

I bought a scuttle not long ago and it's one of the best purchases I've made in the shaving world. If you like hot lather, it's the bomb!

Now this is exciting! I never knew there was such a thing as a brush scuttle! I am a face-latherer and I am ordering one!

Nando:

Another B&B guy clued me in to the possible customizations for the Bill Bowl. Just email Julie, and she can probably switch your order to a solid color if you want. She's awesome and responds quickly to email.

Nick

Thanks Nick! But the more I think about it the more I kind of like the two colored look. I will stick to the blue on spice but I might send her an e-mail asking to make it more of bold color because in the the pictures I posted the bowl looks lighter than the brush scuttle. :001_cool:

Top Bottom