What's new

Difference in open and closed comb

Yeah. Ever seen a construction worker? I'm sure we have those today.

So any construction workers out there that would care to comment? Personally I would not describe my skin as construction worker. More foo foo boy skin. Though I'm a old **** and a desert rat. Arizona sun! As I age my neck (as you can see in the photo) is becoming a shaving issue. So how would you all describe your skin and what type razor works best. Construction or foo foo boy.
IMG_20170802_163110.jpg

The only difference I find when comparing all OCs versus all CCs is that the OCs can go right through long beards (weeks or months worth) on the first pass without clogging, and there's no need to pre-cut with scissors or clippers.

Also, I find it easier to drag lather backwards over the area I just went over when blade buffing. I can do it with closed combs too, but OCs are easier.

I can't say the "feel" on the face is a lot different between them.
Great description. I always use OC when I've skipped a day or two shaving

I have one of the Fendrihan Full Stainless razors with the Mk I head.
One edge has a guard bar, the other is open comb.
Seemed like a good idea to me.
They (Fendrihan) used to say that the OC side was a bit more aggressive, but I didn't think so. They do not say that now.

I have one of the Fendrihan Full Stainless razors with the Mk I head.
One edge has a guard bar, the other is open comb.
Seemed like a good idea to me.
They (Fendrihan) used to say that the OC side was a bit more aggressive, but I didn't think so. They do not say that now.

Great example! :a14:

(Disclaimer : don't get your **** in a wringer over the following morning thought)
When open combs first hit the market most of those old enough to shave we're born the the mid to late 1800's. Rough times for most. Today most are post WW2 to late 1900. Softer times. Lye soap to Dove so to say. Could it be men had tougher skin back then not foo foo boy skin most of us have now. Shavers look at the skin products most of us have for shaving. From soaps to after shaves for our tender razor burn skin. As a result manufacturers developed razors and products over time to address this change in skin type.

How many of you know what a wringer is and how you could get your **** caught in it?
(Disclaimer: moderators I hope you do not also find the previous statements offensive to women. Men have **** too)

Without a beard, the toughest part to the face was that most men made their living outdoors into the 20th Century. Properly made lye soap, sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide, is no harsher than store bought.

As to a wringer, I dimly remember our family's washer early in my life had a wringer, and clearly recall one of my grandmother's. Also remember a grandmother boiling some clothes in a cauldron, which was commonly how it was done prior to washing machines.

And I definitely remember wringer washers we have one in the basement and a newer model up stairs.I remember a buddy had a I believe it was two stroke engine off of a washing machine the best I remember anyway.

Can you please list mild OC razors?
From 3 i have tried only Merkur 25c I would consider to be mild but i prefer Black Beauty 109 on 5 over 25c with GSB blade

The following are the OC razors I've tried, and all felt mild to me. Here they are, from the ones I consider the mildest to the least mild:

RazoRock New Old Type
RazoRock SLOC
Merkur 15C

Of the three, the RazoRock SLOC is my favorite.

The following are the OC razors I've tried, and all felt mild to me. Here they are, from the ones I consider the mildest to the least mild:

RazoRock New Old Type
RazoRock SLOC
Merkur 15C

Of the three, the RazoRock SLOC is my favorite.
Thanks for reply
I will look for SLOC, read a lot of good things about it

(Disclaimer : don't get your **** in a wringer over the following morning thought)
When open combs first hit the market most of those old enough to shave we're born the the mid to late 1800's. Rough times for most. Today most are post WW2 to late 1900. Softer times. Lye soap to Dove so to say. Could it be men had tougher skin back then not foo foo boy skin most of us have now. Shavers look at the skin products most of us have for shaving. From soaps to after shaves for our tender razor burn skin. As a result manufacturers developed razors and products over time to address this change in skin type.

How many of you know what a wringer is and how you could get your **** caught in it?
(Disclaimer: moderators I hope you do not also find the previous statements offensive to women. Men have **** too)
When I was a kid all of our friends and
Family had big heavy washers with very
Dangerous Wringers on top...
Ok back to shaving..back In the days
When the open comb came out ,the majority of men in the U.S. were not
White Collar guys and for all practical reasons considered shaving as a luxury
And usually had some seriously heavy
Growth , when Sunday rolls around and
It's time for a shave.

I surely have less experience than Cap, but I agree with this summary.

I generally agree with this. The Old Style is a work of genius - still shaves as well as anything if used properly. But some improvements have been made: different metals, weight changes, and thicker, stiffer blades especially in the SE world. Most design changes, however, including all cartridge models and variations, are primarily for ‘new and improved’ marketing scam purposes in my opinion.

True - but it does seem for some reason that OC designs tend generally to have more efficient exposure and gap dimensions than the average SB razor . . .
Ah, thank you! But I missed listing a key item, an item that others mentioned and that the OP picked-up on: OCs are far superior on heavier beard growth! That's a critical and important item! If you shave only once or twice a week, you should strongly consider and open comb. A DE89 ain't going to cut it! (pun intended)

Yea I worked construction for years
And yes they all use sun screen, sunblock
And dozens of other protections that
Were non-existent in the bad old days.

I didn't. We should going out on the electric lines, but don't know anyone who does. OTOH, these days we're so covered up when working on power lines that there's little exposed skin.

Top Bottom