What's new

Difference in open and closed comb

The only difference I find when comparing all OCs versus all CCs is that the OCs can go right through long beards (weeks or months worth) on the first pass without clogging, and there's no need to pre-cut with scissors or clippers.

Also, I find it easier to drag lather backwards over the area I just went over when blade buffing. I can do it with closed combs too, but OCs are easier.

I can't say the "feel" on the face is a lot different between them.

The Ikon Deluxe and my Gillette 1910 Pocket Set are the only razors I've used where the comb teeth intrudes on the shave experience. Feel is otherwise not something I notice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OC razors have more blade exposure and usually are more "aggressive". Note that I said usually. To quote from Fatip's website:

...The open comb head gives you a closer shave because the skin is less stretched and the hair,
slipping into the prongs of the comb, moves closer to the blade

FATIP | THE RAZOR

How aggressive a razor is has more to do with its designed geometry than the comb style. New Short comb and New Long comb razors are well known for providing a medium shave similar to a Fatboy on say 5 or 6 with the same blade. At least on my face.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I personally find OC razors harsh on my face. That is MY issue though. Many use them with no issue whatsoever. The only thing is to give one a whirl and see how you get on. Plus you need to report back to us on your experience.

I personally find OC razors harsh on my face. That is MY issue though. Many use them with no issue whatsoever. The only thing is to give one a whirl and see how you get on. Plus you need to report back to us on your experience.

If there is one in the add a razor take a razor I will be able to try one. If not I will be waiting to try one for quite some time.

The following is purely my subjective opinion on the general qualities of each type.

OC Razors:
- More blade feel
- Better glide
- Better performance over areas of the face with crevices
- Not as easy and intuitive to find the angle

SB Razors:
- Less blade feel
- Less glide
- Less conforming to areas with crevices
- More intuitive to find the angle

I much prefer OC razors, and believe I get better shaves with them. And for some reason, OC just seems to be superior around the crevices of my mouth. However, my OC razors do not feel as intuitive in finding the angle, despite often having more blade feel. While I'm fine with this last, it's for this reason (angle intuition) that I recommend an SB for a newb's first razor. This is despite my preference for OC heads.

Also, despite the term "Safety Bar", I've found an SB can bite as easily and as well as an OC. But as I stated earlier, I do find SB razors more intuitive, so in that aspect I suppose they could be considered "safer" of sorts. Or at the least, safer for newbs.

How aggressive a razor is has more to do with its designed geometry than the comb style. New Short comb and New Long comb razors are well known for providing a medium shave similar to a Fatboy on say 5 or 6 with the same blade. At least on my face.

Years ago I tried the Gillette LC & SC New Model razors and found them simply too harsh for daily shaving around the mouth & chin. Cheeks & neck were no problem. That is also why I pay no heed to shavers/reviewers who have goatees or Van Dykes as they are not shaving the difficult areas. OC razors by design almost always have more blade exposure due to the gaps between the teeth and that is bad juju for the curvier areas of the face IMO.

OC razors are the fretless bass guitar of shaving. They are jazzy, think Jaco Pastorius and Marcus Miller.

Jaco! "Birdland" is a tour de force masterpiece. And his work with Joni Mitchel is so sublime. He was so talented, but so troubled; as the most poignant artists often are.

Last edited:
OC razors by design almost always have more blade exposure due to the gaps between the teeth and that is bad juju for the curvier areas of the face IMO.

I will respectfully disagree. All other things equal, a SB and an OC have the same exact exposure. An OC might be slightly more efficient with long growth because the hair can slip between the combs and won't clog. Shouldn't see any real difference with daily use though.

IMO razor design peaked in early 20th century with the open comb 3 piece razors. Everything after those was selling a gimmick unrelated to improved shaving but stuff like easier blade loading, improved safety for young new shavers, adjustability, since the whole game was selling blades and locking competitors out with patents.

Top Bottom