Family had big heavy washers with very
Dangerous Wringers on top...
Ok back to shaving..back In the days
When the open comb came out ,the majority of men in the U.S. were not
White Collar guys and for all practical reasons considered shaving as a luxury
And usually had some seriously heavy
Growth , when Sunday rolls around and
It's time for a shave.

OTOH, photos from the Civil War era onward shows a good bit of clean faces. Shrug. A matter of style.

When I first decided to try DE razors the open comb razors looked off to me. The open comb reminded me of the attachments on a trimmer that keep it from cutting too close, so I never tried one. Now I feel like I missed out.
Guess what type of DE I want to try now?

proxy.php
not really contributing to the conversation, but this is my first exposure to this ad and I'm a Zappa fan and it immediately clicked:
Frank_Zappa_Weasels_Ripped_My_Flesh.jpg

I have one of the Fendrihan Full Stainless razors with the Mk I head.
One edge has a guard bar, the other is open comb.
Seemed like a good idea to me.
They (Fendrihan) used to say that the OC side was a bit more aggressive, but I didn't think so. They do not say that now.
I've always found the OC side to be the milder of the two.

Razors I've had: 34C (sb), R41 (oc), New Type (oc), Old Type (oc), Goodwill (oc), Oristo (sb), ATT R2 (oc), Ikon Tech (sb), Ikon B1 Standard (sb), Timeless .95 (sb), Timeless .95 (oc), Wolfman .86 (oc). The mildest=Oristo, and the most aggressive feeling=Ikon Tech and B1 Standard. All are solid bar. The vintage gillettes were all open comb and all fairly mild. The Timeless .95 in solid bar and open comb feel exactly the same to me. The ATT R2 has as much blade feel as the Timeless .95 and Wolfman .86 despite having a smaller gap. Gap is not the only thing; blade exposure is huge.

This has turned into a huge debate. I really didnt realize I was asking such a heavy question. I am glad it sparked this big discusion though.

That it does, and so does the Standard. They are both beasts.
Agreed. After posting about the Ikon (Tech), and also posting about my fighting to tame the R41, I re-tried the Ikon for my next shave. Yow! It's just too much for me. Though I suppose using a Feather in it didn't help!

I found the Ikon to be a solid notch up in aggression from the R41, and currently I'm finding the R41 (with my usual Feather) to be the max aggression I can get away with using. And by "get away with", I mean in basic terms of 'use,' not in terms of 'using it well'!

That being said, I'm looking for an open-comb aggressive head to add to my SLOC & Piccolo daily drivers, hoping for an OC head that's maybe the same or a hair less aggressive than the R41. And just recently, I think I have a possible candidate: The ATT H2.

Agreed. After posting about the Ikon (Tech), and also posting about my fighting to tame the R41, I re-tried the Ikon for my next shave. Yow! It's just too much for me. Though I suppose using a Feather in it didn't help!

I found the Ikon to be a solid notch up in aggression from the R41, and currently I'm finding the R41 (with my usual Feather) to be the max aggression I can get away with using. And by "get away with", I mean in basic terms of 'use,' not in terms of 'using it well'!

That being said, I'm looking for an open-comb aggressive head to add to my SLOC & Piccolo daily drivers, hoping for an OC head that's maybe the same or a hair less aggressive than the R41. And just recently, I think I have a possible candidate: The ATT H2.
I've never used the H2, but I've had an R2 in the rotation for a few years and it is excellent. When I got it I thought I wanted an H2, but guys told me here and other places that there isn't a lot of difference between the two. The prevailing opinion was that the R2 was pretty aggressive, very efficient, and a lot closer to the H than the M is to the R. Some even said it was equal to the H but a little smoother. However, if money is no object I would recommend the Timeless .95 open comb above all others.

FWIW I agree that the Tech and Standard are both a step up from the 2013 and later R41. I have no experience with the older R41.

...and not to derail the thread (and no disrespect meant) but both spellings are correct for the tool, Vise is US English and Vice is UK English (neither is better, both are fine, just some countries prefer one and some the other, on the internet it shouldn't matter as long as the meaning is clear), I know I'm a pedantic bugger sorry :D

I really like travel razors because they remind me of my Grandfather who had many different types of them. I think he got them as gifts from work, etc. I wish I actually had them now...

I find that Open Comb does not automatically equate to aggressiveness. This German vintage travel razor is not aggressive to me. I have only used my R41 once, and it certainly has a lot of blade feel, but I did not find it to be frightening. I think you must use good technique with any razor, and that we will get better results with any razor as our technique improves.

I have to give props to GEOFATBOY at Shave Nation who has a video about getting a BBS. He explains how to manipulate the angle for the against the grain pass to avoid irritation. It made a world of difference for me.

German Travel OC.jpg

The Ikon Tech is the most blade-forward beast in my den. The R41s, both 2013 and 2011, are a step (or two) below. The H2 is a great choice, as the efficiency doesn't get sacrificed by the relative smoothness, at least on my face. Others in the same smoothness:efficiency ratio that are readily available include the Blackbird and Timeless .78 Bronze open comb. A tad less efficient, but smooth as silk, is the Karve F plate in open comb, at least in my hand.

The best razor I own, with optimal efficiency and smoothness, is the Charcoal Goods Level 3. I use both open comb and straight bar versions. The open comb version is a tad more efficient.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
...and not to derail the thread (and no disrespect meant) but both spellings are correct for the tool, Vise is US English and Vice is UK English (neither is better, both are fine, just some countries prefer one and some the other, on the internet it shouldn't matter as long as the meaning is clear), I know I'm a pedantic bugger sorry :D
Sometimes one needs a pedantic bugger. I learned something. But that isn't saying much, as I have made it my life's mission to get school changed to skool.

I've never used the H2, but I've had an R2 in the rotation for a few years and it is excellent. When I got it I thought I wanted an H2, but guys told me here and other places that there isn't a lot of difference between the two. The prevailing opinion was that the R2 was pretty aggressive, very efficient, and a lot closer to the H than the M is to the R. Some even said it was equal to the H but a little smoother. However, if money is no object I would recommend the Timeless .95 open comb above all others.

FWIW I agree that the Tech and Standard are both a step up from the 2013 and later R41. I have no experience with the older R41.
Thanks for your input, Pat Puma. I'm warming-up to the idea of getting both the R2 & H2 baseplates along with a top-cap, all in aluminum to save cash. If I really like either head spectacularly, I can eventually treat myself to a polished stainless version.

The Ikon Tech is the most blade-forward beast in my den. The R41s, both 2013 and 2011, are a step (or two) below. The H2 is a great choice, as the efficiency doesn't get sacrificed by the relative smoothness, at least on my face. Others in the same smoothness:efficiency ratio that are readily available include the Blackbird and Timeless .78 Bronze open comb. A tad less efficient, but smooth as silk, is the Karve F plate in open comb, at least in my hand.

The best razor I own, with optimal efficiency and smoothness, is the Charcoal Goods Level 3. I use both open comb and straight bar versions. The open comb version is a tad more efficient.
Thanks, pbrmhl. This has been a very informative post.

I to find the Ikon Tech a beast! So much so, that I find it virtually un-shaveable. I have some struggles with the R41, but nothing like with the Ikon.

However, I've come to the conclusion that open-comb heads are just smoother & more efficient for me. I have an SLOC for mild shaves, a Piccolo for everyday shaves, and am looking for a more aggressive open-comb for those days I want to challenge myself a bit more.

The problem I'm having with my R41, is it seems to be right on the edge of being too aggressive for me. I believe this is compounded by the R41's tendency to shave somewhat harshly against-the-grain. I also believe this may be caused by the R41's moderate blade rigidity, vs a very rigid and smooth head like my Piccolo.

What I'm ideally looking for, would be a head that is very slightly less aggressive than the R41, and smoother. I might be able to handle the R41 aggression level, if the head were smoother.

Does it seem to you, that the H2 might be a good candidate for me to try?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
What I really want to know, is:

Did someone advise you to give this advice?

clear.png
:p

Last edited:
I like OC Fatip, Schone and Karve for regular days and always if I have more than 2 days of hair growth. Tried the Merkur OC and did not like it and then some Gillette OC that is average. Razorock OC's are OK.
Yesterday I used a "Black Beauty" on #6-7 and found it rough (which I don't feel w the OC above).
I enjoy Fatboy at 5 for most shaves....
It's just nice to have a change in shaving options , but if I had to chose only one: Karve (a bit $$)

Top Bottom