What's new

Did your grandfather or great grandfather use a straight?

I never really knew either of my grandfathers. And my father was an electric guy. So I've had to learn this sport all on my lonesome. My son is one lucky guy.

This razor was my grandfather's, used by him long time ago. I use it often and it shaves great. The only razor I own that I know never will be sold.
proxy.php

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A6003 via Tapatalk

My grandfather was born in 1888 and used a straight razor well into his 80s. I remember visiting my grandparents on Sundays and always seeing his straight razors, shave mug and strop in the bathroom. I was given stern warnings not to touch the razors. I also remember my grandfather showing me how he shaved with it.

Grandfather on my moms side used a Gillette Atra, and so did I when I first started shaving. While I remember his father, I really do not know what he used to shave.
Grandfather on my dads side used a Norelco electric, but I do remember him switching back to a cartridge or a disposable blade.

I never really knew either of my grandfathers. And my father was an electric guy. So I've had to learn this sport all on my lonesome. My son is one lucky guy.
It was a while since I last had the pleasure of reading one of your posts. I'm very sure that I'm not the only one who have missed them.

It was a while since I last had the pleasure of reading one of your posts. I'm very sure that I'm not the only one who have missed them.

Guys, I'm freaking blown away that you noticed I was gone and are welcoming me back. I mean it. You are definitely not the only one who has missed my posts and I'm floored by the warm welcome I've had since being able to log on earlier this week. This is what I've missed over the past year and why I bothered to take one last chance to email the mods to see if they might give me a second chance. To say that I'm pleased they gave me a second chance is a vast understatement. It's really good to be back. Thank you for your kind words Polarbeard.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I remember my paternal grandfather shaving only with electrics.

My father used Gillette double edge razors rather well.

Happy shaves,

Jim

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Guys, I'm freaking blown away that you noticed I was gone and are welcoming me back. I mean it. You are definitely not the only one who has missed my posts and I'm floored by the warm welcome I've had since being able to log on earlier this week. This is what I've missed over the past year and why I bothered to take one last chance to email the mods to see if they might give me a second chance. To say that I'm pleased they gave me a second chance is a vast understatement. It's really good to be back. Thank you for your kind words Polarbeard.
Dude, I definitely wondered where you were. I'm not as surprised that you are back as I am that I have never been banned. Seriously.

Now I just wish TobyC, Highspeedlane, BSA Guy, etc, were back.

I miss them.

Dude, I definitely wondered where you were. I'm not as surprised that you are back as I am that I have never been banned. Seriously.

Now I just wish TobyC, Highspeedlane, BSA Guy, etc, were back.

I miss them.

Thanks. TobyC is alive and well and very active at ATG. And I was wondering about BSA Guy as well. I haven't seen him on any of the other forums I've been on either. Hope he's ok.

:001_smile

Welcome back!

My grandfather's last razor, a Genco de Roma 4/8s, is now mine. He used a single razor until it could no longer be honed. At that point he bought another. My dad started with a straight razor and then jumped on the Gillette bandwagon for a while. Soon after I started shaving he moved to a wide variety of electric razors. He went back and forth between electric razors, DE's, and cartridges. Here's my grandfather's razor.
DSC_2955 - combo.jpg

Top Bottom