What's new

Derby Extra, better than I remember

I just finished my last 100 pack of these after over a decade. Worked great for me.

I leave mine in the shower so rust is a thing. Always wet.

The feathers changed so much, quickly. The Derbys were more consistent linger, not as sharp initially.

YMMV.

My water is tough too.

I have been using Derby Extra in a blue package for over 2 years. I think I have used 100 pieces so far. I like them very much. I find them sharp and smoth. I like it more than the Astra SP. They are very good and cheap blades, I use them in relatively aggressive devices Muhle R41, Futur, Rocca, Fatip and I usually shave daily. I use a Derby Extra blade at least 10 times without any signs of irritation or feedback from the alum block. I abandoned Derby Extra for a while just because I discovered BIC Astor and Astra SS, not because it wouldn't be a good blade. But ... it's a blade that the skin of the face has to get used to. Do not abandon it immediately, be patient with it, and the result will be excellent.

I have been using Derby Extra in a blue package for over 2 years. I think I have used 100 pieces so far. I like them very much. I find them sharp and smoth. I like it more than the Astra SP. They are very good and cheap blades, I use them in relatively aggressive devices Muhle R41, Futur, Rocca, Fatip and I usually shave daily. I use a Derby Extra blade at least 10 times without any signs of irritation or feedback from the alum block. I abandoned Derby Extra for a while just because I discovered BIC Astor and Astra SS, not because it wouldn't be a good blade. But ... it's a blade that the skin of the face has to get used to. Do not abandon it immediately, be patient with it, and the result will be excellent.
They are very good in a muhle r41 perfect efficient and smooth!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I would try the Derby premium or Derby usta. I used a Derby extra in my R41 the other day and it didn't give me a close shave. I tried a Astra Stainless the next day, it was like night and day. When I was learning to use a safety razor in 2012 Derby extra's were great you could have a party on your face and not hurt yourself too bad.
Lol'd at "party on your face" my friend!

Green Derbys in a mild razor feel almost like a disposable. They cut about like one, but they are almost that forgiving.

In an aggressive razor, they are good for taking some of the bite out.

I like them all in all. They're not a bad razor, just a mild one. The price is definitely right and the included dispenser makes life easier.

I had a pretty good scruff going this morning and slapped a new Derby Extra into my EJ DE89. After slathering some Proraso Green onto my face with my Perfecto Badger Brush, I went to work.
Maybe it's just me but the Derby Extra has just given me an outstanding shave every time I've used it. Absolutely clean and a BBS finish to boot.

had a tuck of derby's for about a year and a half and finally decided to try them in by Blackbird. The blade was so bad it actually made the Blackbird inefficient (which I did not think would be possible). Worst blades I have ever used. I never throw out anything, but I immediately trashed the blade and threw out the entire remainder of the tuck. Why was it bad? Tugged from the first stroke. Didn't get a close shave on my cheeks after the first pass, or second pass. Forget about under the chin and neck. I finally gave up buffing over and over. definitely one of the most unenjoyable shaves ever. It was so bad it actually made me angry. Other than the, they are fine blades. YMMV.

SBS-676110.jpg

Are these the old or the new? From Sally's.

The Derby Extra isn't particularly effective for me in milder razors.

However, I still keep some around for my more aggro setups.

I pull one out when I want to use a more aggressive head but don't feel like being 'hyper' focused on what I'm doing.

The result is not quite as good as if I had used a Bic CP or Feather but then again in those instances that wasn't the target.

When I started DE shaving in 2011 and joined B&B The general consensus (as far as I recall) was that Derbys were a joke, garbage blade. One use was more than enough for me I know. Now, a lot of people seem to quite like them so I wonder if the plant got retooled or something like that, and that they are now a much better blade than they used to be.

Kind of the same thing with Astra SPs. Back then most mentions of them seemed to be that they were a satisfactory backup blade if you ever ran out of your top tier blades but they definitely weren't getting the love the seem to now.

FarmerTan

When I started DE shaving in 2011 and joined B&B The general consensus (as far as I recall) was that Derbys were a joke, garbage blade. One use was more than enough for me I know. Now, a lot of people seem to quite like them so I wonder if the plant got retooled or something like that, and that they are now a much better blade than they used to be.

Kind of the same thing with Astra SPs. Back then most mentions of them seemed to be that they were a satisfactory backup blade if you ever ran out of your top tier blades but they definitely weren't getting the love the seem to now.
I really like the Astra SS, the SP not so much. Derby Extra chews up my incredibly handsome face, but the Derby Premium? (The one in the black package) is a spectacular blade. Dorco Prime is it's equal for me.

I really like the Astra SS, the SP not so much. Derby Extra chews up my incredibly handsome face, but the Derby Premium? (The one in the black package) is a spectacular blade. Dorco Prime is it's equal for me.
I do like the Dorco Prime blades too so I'll have to try the Derby Premium. The Astra SS I've never tried because the SP wasn't that great for me either. I think I actually have a tuck of Astra SS blades around here somewhere, that I received as a sample with an order, I'll have to give them a try as well.

FarmerTan

I do like the Dorco Prime blades too so I'll have to try the Derby Premium. The Astra SS I've never tried because the SP wasn't that great for me either. I think I actually have a tuck of Astra SS blades around here somewhere, that I received as a sample with an order, I'll have to give them a try as well.
I was shocked by the new Derby and Dorco blades. @BaPh96 gave me some. It was like they are made on another planet.

The Astra SS are very smooth blades. The SP just feel harsh right out of the wrapper but smooth out after 3 or 4 shaves....but I'm too used to my face the way it looks now to have to use it as a strop until a blade settles down!

Top Bottom