What's new

Derby Extra, better than I remember

This morning I thought it might be a good idea to try a Derby Extra blade.
I have not used Derby Extra in a few years and I remember that they were anything but sharp.

I whipped a nice lather with Palmolive Sensitive Cream,
I loaded my Gillette Flair Tip with a Derby Extra and started shaving.

Three passes and one of the most comfortable shaves ever.
First pass, WTG, and I wondered if I forgot the blade? No blade feel at all, just a smooth shave all over my face and neck.
After the first pass my face and neck was not as smooth and clean as when I shave with Astra SS or Lord Silver Star.

Second pass, XTG, was just as comfortable, the razor just glided totally effortless over my face, lovely...

Third pass, ATG, was one of the most comfortable ATG pass I ever had.
No nicks, no weepers, no tugging, no dragging, just a nice silky smooth shave.

The result was not a BBS but a really nice DFS.

I remember liking Derby when I was a noob, but then they were not sharp enough...
I have used Derby Extra in my Shavettes with mixed results, but it's been some years since I used them in a DE razor.

I can not remember Derby Extra being so incredible smooth and comfortable.
I think I will order some Derby Extra again :biggrin1:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Derby actually make good smooth blades, but their reputation as a noob blade leads people to avoid them later when they are more experienced. I like the smoothness and still use them occasionally (although I prefer the Derby premium which last longer). I think part of it is that people tend to make their noob mistakes using Derby's and that gives them bad memories of the blades.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on these blades. I think I might have some here somewhere. Might have to find them and give them a try in the not to distant future.

How long ago were you a noob?

Somewhere around 2016 or 2017 IIRC they got sharper, so if your noob phase was before that then it very well could be that they really were "not sharp enough" back then.
I gave up my Mach 3 Cartridge razor in 2015 or 2016, i think.

According to this thread from 2017 I have the old blades:

I have just a few blades left and I am very keen on trying the new version.
And for just a bit over 10 Euros incl shipping for a pack of 100 it's not a big deal if I don't like them, there is a good chance the blades will work great for my son, my daughter or my wife ;)

Dog if I know how Derby Extras got such a poor reputation. They are smooth and able to give a very good shave. One of the cheapest blades out there in the blue 200 count package to boot.

Dog if I know how Derby Extras got such a poor reputation. They are smooth and able to give a very good shave. One of the cheapest blades out there in the blue 200 count package to boot.

Just placed an order on 100 Derby Extra, 11 Euros incl shipping to Sweden.
They should arrive in a week, or two ;)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
@Hak.1963 : why did I open this thread! Good thing I'm in sunny Florida, or I'd be tempted ONCE AGAIN to try this murderous blade. I read something like this, decide to risk my incredibly handsome face in the name of science, and end up with a butchered face!

Oh! The humanity!

I have it on high authority that these blades are handed out in Hades...

Now I have shaved with Derby Extra (old version) for just over a week.
I have used the Derby blades in my English Gillette Flare Tip, in my Pearl Semi-Slant and most recently in my Fatip Grande OC.
Sure, Derby is not the sharpest blade but it is among the smoothest blades I have used.

Now I'm waiting for my order for the new version of Derby Extra to arrive in my mailbox.
I hope that the new version is at least as good, if not some retailers seem to have the old version left in their stock.

Now I have shaved with Derby Extra (old version) for just over a week.
I have used the Derby blades in my English Gillette Flare Tip, in my Pearl Semi-Slant and most recently in my Fatip Grande OC.
Sure, Derby is not the sharpest blade but it is among the smoothest blades I have used.

Now I'm waiting for my order for the new version of Derby Extra to arrive in my mailbox.
I hope that the new version is at least as good, if not some retailers seem to have the old version left in their stock.

I'm sorry!
I meant PARKER Semi-Slant, nothing else...
I don't know where "Pearl" came from ;)

Finally, I will shave with the "new" Derby Extra tonight.
I hope they are as smooth as the old version, and sharper.

Tonight it will be:
Razorock Puros soap
VieLong Horse Brush
British Gillette Flare Tip
Derby Extra (new version)
Razorock Puros After Shave

What can go wrong?

Well, I have to say the new Derby Extra is really nice.
In my British Gillette Flare Tip it was incredible smooth and comfortable.
I could detect some extra sharpness compared to the older Derby's.
Three passes and a real nice DFS, no nicks, no cuts and no irritation.

Now I will have three shaves with the same blade in my Flare Tip, then I will load a new blade in my Parker Semi-Slant and have three more shaves.

Here we have a typical case of YMMV and I know many ppl hate or dislike the blade while others like it.
For me it's just a very smooth and good blade, at a very low cost.

I have some derbys around, the other day tried them in a Fatip Grande and they were very good (still don't know from which type mine are, because the top carton was thrown away). I'm using GSB and BICs normally, blades way above derby's sharpness, but it has smoothness til the world ends... The premiums though are not my thing.

Used a Derby Extra the last two days in a Star model 100 DE. Super smooth shave, mostly BBS except at my jawline under my ear, which is a problem spot for me with any razor or blade. Florida Water aftershave went on with zero burn. Derby Extra is a great performing blade for me.

This morning I thought it might be a good idea to try a Derby Extra blade.
I have not used Derby Extra in a few years and I remember that they were anything but sharp.

I whipped a nice lather with Palmolive Sensitive Cream,
I loaded my Gillette Flair Tip with a Derby Extra and started shaving.

Three passes and one of the most comfortable shaves ever.
First pass, WTG, and I wondered if I forgot the blade? No blade feel at all, just a smooth shave all over my face and neck.
After the first pass my face and neck was not as smooth and clean as when I shave with Astra SS or Lord Silver Star.

Second pass, XTG, was just as comfortable, the razor just glided totally effortless over my face, lovely...

Third pass, ATG, was one of the most comfortable ATG pass I ever had.
No nicks, no weepers, no tugging, no dragging, just a nice silky smooth shave.

The result was not a BBS but a really nice DFS.

I remember liking Derby when I was a noob, but then they were not sharp enough...
I have used Derby Extra in my Shavettes with mixed results, but it's been some years since I used them in a DE razor.

I can not remember Derby Extra being so incredible smooth and comfortable.
I think I will order some Derby Extra again :biggrin1:
The newer Derbys are better than you remember if you first used the older ones.

Derbys.jpg

Those in the green tucks like the one above weren't very good, but the newer ones in the blue tucks appear much better. I am going to use a Blue Derby Extra tomorrow to verify but here is the visual difference between the two.

Derby Extra green tuck 200x
M New 200X.jpg

Derby Extra blue tuck 200x
Derby Extra Blue Tuck 200x.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The newer Derbys are better than you remember if you first used the older ones.

View attachment 1289158

Those in the green tucks like the one above weren't very good, but the newer ones in the blue tucks appear much better. I am going to use a Blue Derby Extra tomorrow to verify but here is the visual difference between the two.

Derby Extra green tuck 200x
View attachment 1289160

Derby Extra blue tuck 200x
View attachment 1289161
When one of those blue ones magically appear here, I will try it. Impressive looking! But me and Derbys are cool, as long as we just look at each other from across the dance floor. That green one ain't fit for scraping dog doo off my shoe!

I'm a poet!!!

Top Bottom