What's new

Denatured versus Isopropyl or rubbing alcohol?

I'm trying to create a rather simple home made after shave. Here on the forum there seems to be a consensus that denatured alcohol should be used rather than isopropyl (rubbing alcohol). However, when i googled these things, some sources on the web offer the counter-advice, i.e. that you shouldn't use denatured on the skin because its used as maybe a thinner for industrial products and such.

Can anyone clear this up?

Isn't rubbing alcohol meant to be used on the skin?

Why would I not want to use it?

What is the correct alcohol to use?

Isopropyl is an industrial product and is filled with a ton of arbitrary and harsh chemicals that are not good for your face. Isopropyl can be used on your less sensitive skin like your body, but your face is a very different skin type.

Use everclear or perfumers alcohol (a little expensive) instead. Those 2 should be recommended by everyone. Rum and vodka will work, as well.

Isopropyl is an industrial product and is filled with a ton of arbitrary and harsh chemicals that are not good for your face. Isopropyl can be used on your less sensitive skin like your body, but your face is a very different skin type.

Use everclear or perfumers alcohol (a little expensive) instead. Those 2 should be recommended by everyone. Rum and vodka will work, as well.

Thanks for the response but where does one get perfumer's alcohol?

Thanks for the response but where does one get perfumer's alcohol?
It's particularly expensive, but you can get it online or from certain beauty retailers (usually only bulk). Everclear works just as well. The only reason to use perfumers alcohol is if you can't buy everclear or if you don't want any scent from the alcohol at all (if you want to be very stingy, basically).

It should be noted that perfumer's alcohol is denatured and roughly 200 proof or 100% (minus denaturing additive). Everclear 190 is what I prefer, as it is 95% pure, much cheaper, and not denatured. it is, however, not available in all states at that proof.

It should be noted that perfumer's alcohol is denatured and roughly 200 proof or 100% (minus denaturing additive). Everclear 190 is what I prefer, as it is 95% pure, much cheaper, and not denatured. it is, however, not available in all states at that proof.

Thanks, I will try the everclear.

What about using witch hazel from the pharmacy as your base? It's alcohol based, you could add some essential oil, glycerin and menthol to it and have a simple aftershave. Just my ideas, no experience.

Be aware that this is perfumers concentrations. I prefer after shaves to be closer to 50% alcohol or 100 proof. Vodka makes a good choice for that.

Wouldn't it be better to dilute it yourself? You could use other useful ingredients, not to mention it might be less expensive.

What about using witch hazel from the pharmacy as your base? It's alcohol based, you could add some essential oil, glycerin and menthol to it and have a simple aftershave. Just my ideas, no experience.

I'm not sure I'd call it "alcohol-based". It only has 14% alcohol. It is good stuff though, and I bet it would go well with some everclear and PG.

Wouldn't it be better to dilute it yourself? You could use other useful ingredients, not to mention it might be less expensive.
You could absolutely dilute it yourself. It's just easier for me to find an alcohol that is pretty much at the dilution I want already then add the other ingredients. If you have a cheap and easy source for distilled water, that works just as well and there is nothing wrong with that either.

If you have a cheap and easy source for distilled water

That one's easy, at least. Next time you're at the grocery store, a gallon of distilled water is the same price and same aisle as spring water. $1, or maybe $1.50 at most...enough to make plenty of aftershave and keep your cigar humidor's humidification device properly supplied for a long time.

You people are extremely helpful. I'm trying to make maybe a proraso green clone. What final alcohol percentage would i shoot for? Anyone know?

How come no one has mentioned Ethyl Alcohol? Most after shaves I have seen just use simple ethanol which you should easily be able to find at any drug store.

How come no one has mentioned Ethyl Alcohol? Most after shaves I have seen just use simple ethanol which you should easily be able to find at any drug store.
We have mentioned it. Perfumers alcohol is denatured ethanol and all the spirits mentioned (vodka, rum, and everclear) are also ethanol.

Top Bottom