What's new

Delta Echo Razor Works Review

I don't like doing negative reviews. This is only my second here. The other was of a $5 shaving butter. Mostly I like stuff. Or at least I'm OK with stuff. Usually I get what I pay for, and if it's not very good, I keep my mouth shut. Small business is difficult, and I don't want to mess with guys trying to make a living.

Delta Echo is small business in Washington state that replates razors in Gunkote, a durable thin coating originally used for gun parts. It's well-suited for razors, because it's very thin, slippery, and durable. Delta is run by Jay Mabes, and he says he does a thousand razors per year all by himself. So it's a one-person operation. Jay has a nice website and has obviously invested well in photography.

I saw some of Jay's work online and thought it would be worth a try. I sent him $90 and one of those functionally excellent/cosmetically challenged vintage Gillettes we all know. I asked for a standard treatment ("Cubano Edition") with a little variation, which I specified in email and on the order form (a little red color treatment on the handle).

11 weeks after parting with my money and razor, the razor came back refinished. Not bad, but not great.

It didn't include the custom color variation I had requested, even though the razor arrived with the order sheet showing my specific request as part of the shipping order. Not critical. But still. $90 and 11 weeks.

The color was not uniform on the doors. You can see where the top coat doesn't entirely cover the coat below. It'll probably last forever anyway. But still. $90 and 11 weeks.

And the communication was not good. For 11 weeks. After I sent $90. When I enquired after 10 weeks about status, the response was testy.

Given that the color scheme was not what I ordered and that one layer showed through another, should I have sent it back to Delta Echo for more work? I don't think so. I paid in full up front 11 weeks earlier (including the cost of return shipping to me), had gotten testy communication from Jay, and didn't want to pay more for more of all that. I'd rather take what I have (which isn't horrible) and call it a lesson learned. I feel like I paid $90 and 11 weeks later at least had $30 worth of value. So it wasn't a complete waste.

But if you are looking to have a razor refinished, Chris at Razorplate is a much better option unless you are set on a Gunkote color scheme. And if you are set on Gunkote, talk to your local gun dealer. Don't make the mistake I did.

Here's a tip for small business people: If you are going to take 11 weeks to do something, you either need to communicate well, do exceptional work, or not take full payment up front.

Being generous? B-

Last edited:
WOW, Have a cubano birth year slim adjustable coming by 24th of this month. Hope I am more pleased.......... Have pictures of the issue?

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear of the bad experience. I have sent three razors out and received them back with no issues. I have two more out with him now, that are the most challenging I can imagine, given the shape they were in when I took possession of them.

This is how my favorite razor looked when I received it after an eBay purchase.
inside view s-l1600.jpg
and after Jay worked on it:
inside after.jpg

Again, I am sorry to hear of your experience. My good experiences cannot change your bad experience.

I truly hope you communicated your frustrations with Jay before posting here. I assume you did, but if you didn't, you didn't give him a chance to "make it right." I've had work done by Jay, and am pleased with it. As I live in his larger neighborhood, I asked to meet him at a coffeeshop near his home on the Fourth of July, 2015. He readily agreed, and he wouldn't even let me buy him a cup of coffee or a pastry. I showed him my Slim, we discussed color schemes, and a couple of weeks later I received a beautiful piece of touched-up art in the mail, exactly as agreed upon. His politics don't match mine, but who cares--I had a great experience, start to finish, with Jay.

Yes, yes, I've had many communications with Delta Echo.

Look, I'm happy for those of you who had different experiences. I'm reporting mine. That's what reviews are: we post our honest experiences as consumers. You have positive reviews to post? Go for it. My experience was negative. Sorry, but that's the fact. And it ain't my first razor-refinishing rodeo.

Thanks for posting your experience, it helps those of us who haven't done business before make a sound decision.

Yes, yes, I've had many communications with Delta Echo.

Look, I'm happy for those of you who had different experiences. I'm reporting mine. That's what reviews are: we post our honest experiences as consumers. You have positive reviews to post? Go for it. My experience was negative. Sorry, but that's the fact. And it ain't my first razor-refinishing rodeo.

Hey There ,

I too am considering buying a razor from Jay. He has some of the most awesome color schemes available out there.

Please reach out to him and let us know how it goes. I think this is a simple case of human error. Extremely frustrating I know but probably reparable. I say all this because I haven't read a single other negative review of his work or the razors he sells (although people do seem to sell them occasionally - can't fathom why).

I sent a couple of emails inquiring about colors and got no response. That's how I found this thread.

Who else does a black coating on a razor?

Jay usually replies after the second email.

Alternative you can check out North Shore Razors - but I don't really know much about their work.

I sent a couple of emails inquiring about colors and got no response. That's how I found this thread.

Who else does a black coating on a razor?
I have much experience with North Shore Razors. Scott is very responsive and turns around your razor quickly. The hard part is giving him exact details of what color you want your razor to be, but he will walk you through that.

Thanks for posting your experience, it helps those of us who haven't done business before make a sound decision.

+1

Thank you for giving us your honest opinion and description of your experience with DERW, it will help others like myself to make an educated decision, to do business with him or not.

I have no experience with Delta. Unfortunately, some refinishers get too busy. They start off great but when the volume of work increases they either fall behind or start rushing the jobs.

Top Bottom