Declaration Icarus Contemplation

Discussion in 'Shaving Soaps' started by agrippas, Aug 27, 2018.

Shaved with this for the first time this morning. It was amazing! I’m not a big scent guy, but really enjoyed this one. Performance was as good as it gets. Thick, luxurious lather that provided a superb, ultra-slippery, protective shave. Is it better than the regular bison base? Hard to say at this point, as that one is also fantastic.

1. Contemplation is my favorite scent out of the 3 new ones. I’ve actually come
    to the conclusion I like the Icarus base a little more than the bison tallow base.

2. I have tried about 40 different soaps in the last year and Contemplation has performed the best for me. At first I did not care for the scent but I really like it now that I have shaved with it 12 times.

3. Congratulations!! :a14::a14::a14:

4. Update: I have now shaved with Contemplation six times, and believe it is the best of my 35 soaps.

5. +1

6. I would love to have those gents who have tried this soap describe its scent.

7. I’m typing with one hand while holding a tub of Contemplation to my nose. It is a scent that is hard to describe. At first I did not like it because it didn’t smell like many of my other more traditional soaps. However, after a dozen shaves, I like it. The smell has some citrus brightness with fresh mowed grass or sun dried hay. No animatic smell.

8. I just took a long sniff of mine and while I’m bad at describing scents, I would say A. Feitar above is spot on. It’s a pleasant, not strong, scent. By the way, DG suggests leaving it open before the first use to allow any animal smells out. I didn’t detect any animal smells, but left it open for 48 hours before first use.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  9. I left mine open for several days also and for some reason the smell improved and mellowed out.

10. It's a petrichor type scent, as described by Scott himself at the Maggard meet up. I like it...a lot.