What's new

December 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I’m in. I started the year and will hopefully end the year in restraint, taking a few months off between. If I successfully complete December, I’ll have been in restraint for half the year, 6 months, and man does it feel good.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Contact_vs_Feedback
3) Doti B
4) Stuart Ganis
5) djmillard
6) kjbarth
7) lomfs24
8) pdieten (GRUYERE)
9) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
10) hopper_64
11) Kyle89
12) Timeclo
13) Sandorfi
14) FL shaver
15) La Malice (Decemboar)
16) B_R_A_D
17)

linty1

My wallet cries.
Ima take Dec off but promise to come by every once in a while to show all the new shiny stuff I bought in an effort to knock some of you off the GRUME wagon. 🤪

Boxing Day in Canada (Dec 26) is always a big sale day and I do need a few things. I am pretty confident that I will wash out of GRUME at the end of Dec, so why bother? Plus, I have been rock solid for the last few GRUME months, so why not let me treat me to something pretty? 😜

This is actually a sage move, I will follow suite and sit out December. I don't -need- anything perse, but I want the option to jump on something.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Contact_vs_Feedback
3) Doti B
4) Stuart Ganis
5) djmillard
6) kjbarth
7) lomfs24
8) pdieten (GRUYERE)
9) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
10) hopper_64
11) Kyle89
12) Timeclo
13) Sandorfi
14) FL shaver
16) B_R_A_D
17) mattps1
18)

I'm due a break after a big November spending spree, intent on sitting out the Boxing Day sales in particular.

I'm in, give me a start on next year's sabbatical.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Contact_vs_Feedback
3) Doti B
4) Stuart Ganis
5) djmillard
6) kjbarth
7) lomfs24
8) pdieten (GRUYERE)
9) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
10) hopper_64
11) Kyle89
12) Timeclo
13) Sandorfi
14) FL shaver
16) B_R_A_D
17) mattps1
18)Angus MacAngus

After Black Friday, I'd better join this month.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Contact_vs_Feedback
3) Doti B
4) Stuart Ganis
5) djmillard
6) kjbarth
7) lomfs24
8) pdieten (GRUYERE)
9) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
10) hopper_64
11) Kyle89
12) Timeclo
13) Sandorfi
14) FL shaver
16) B_R_A_D
17) mattps1
18)Angus MacAngus
19) Heron
20)

I’m in

and I will add a further personal restraint to the game. I will also restrain from alcohol for the month. I am half way through my third week without a drink. The motivation has been to improve my sleep quality and energy levels. I was only going to do a few days but that turned into a week, then two and now I’m nearly a month. Let’s see if I can make it through the silly season.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Contact_vs_Feedback
3) Doti B
4) Stuart Ganis
5) djmillard
6) kjbarth
7) lomfs24
8) pdieten (GRUYERE)
9) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
10) hopper_64
11) Kyle89
12) Timeclo
13) Sandorfi
14) FL shaver
16) B_R_A_D
17) mattps1
18)Angus MacAngus
19) Heron
20) Tomo

linty1

My wallet cries.
I’m in

and I will add a further personal restraint to the game. I will also restrain from alcohol for the month. I am half way through my third week without a drink. The motivation has been to improve my sleep quality and energy levels. I was only going to do a few days but that turned into a week, then two and now I’m nearly a month. Let’s see if I can make it through the silly season.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Contact_vs_Feedback
3) Doti B
4) Stuart Ganis
5) djmillard
6) kjbarth
7) lomfs24
8) pdieten (GRUYERE)
9) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
10) hopper_64
11) Kyle89
12) Timeclo
13) Sandorfi
14) FL shaver
16) B_R_A_D
17) mattps1
18)Angus MacAngus
19) Heron
20) Tomo

Hey Tomo, continued success with the abstain from alcohol thing. No judgement to all who enjoy in alcohol, but I can appreciate some one who has their own reason for motivation and goals. Enjoy.

Drumroll, please...:a6:

I'm still in!

First shave for me in December is up at my folks, so my travel kit got packed with some unfamiliar items.

20211201_081313.jpg

Pre-shave: Warm water
Lather: Speick cream
Brush: WCS Lantern Badger 24mm
Razor: 50's Gillette ball-end Tech
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Aftershave: Cold water splash, Davidoff Cool Water Deep balm

I am in! I do have one razor still in transit bought about a week ago.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Contact_vs_Feedback
3) Doti B
4) Stuart Ganis
5) djmillard
6) kjbarth
7) lomfs24
8) pdieten (GRUYERE)
9) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
10) hopper_64
11) Kyle89
12) Timeclo
13) Sandorfi
14) FL shaver
16) B_R_A_D
17) mattps1
18)Angus MacAngus
19) Heron
20) Tomo
21) Cafebarian

I will also restrain from alcohol for the month. I am half way through my third week without a drink. The motivation has been to improve my sleep quality and energy levels. I was only going to do a few days but that turned into a week, then two and now I’m nearly a month. Let’s see if I can make it through the silly season.

During this time of year I wish you all the best!

In after a break in November

1) FoolishMortal
2) Contact_vs_Feedback
3) Doti B
4) Stuart Ganis
5) djmillard
6) kjbarth
7) lomfs24
8) pdieten (GRUYERE)
9) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
10) hopper_64
11) Kyle89
12) Timeclo
13) Sandorfi
14) FL shaver
16) B_R_A_D
17) mattps1
18)Angus MacAngus
19) Heron
20) Tomo
21) Cafebarian
22) Dodger59

While I did pick up a reserved RR GC 68 OC baseplate in November, I found it helpful to recalibrate my thoughts on what I really need to enjoy this without over purchasing.

First shave of December

Hot shower
Proroso Green Soap
RR BC Silvertip synthetic brush
Merkur 34c
Parker (4)
Alum
Pinaud Clubman

Event-free CCS shave. The first shave with the Parker blade resulted in a lot of irritation about an hour afterwards. Things smoothed up with use, but if the second attempt does similarly I will likely take these off any future purchase list.

Peace

I’m in

More power to you man. That is a great personal goal whatever the reason. Keep that willpower going.

Well, back in the GRUME grind! I literally was shopping at 11:30pm last night looking at brushes and a bottle of Stirling Noir aftershave, but kind of shook my head and exited. Got enough new toys to play with. Got some new Stirling scents, a new Simpson brush, and found an old Hull pottery Old Spice Mug (3rd run I believe). I think I'm good for a while.

Still in

Chubby 2 Manchurian
Iwasaki Western Straight
Translucent Arkansas Finish
MWF
ABC Tobacco Verde Balm

A really nice shave this morning. The Chubby 2 Manchurian is my most expensive brush but it has never been my favorite. It’s has nice soft tips and no scritch but it’s really stiff.

This week I think I’m finally starting to figure it out. You really need to dive in and push to splay those bristles. I always try to avoid mashing but this brush needs some pressure to get going. This technique results in somewhat of a deep tissue massage for the face and neck. The brush is soft but the pressure is real. It’s enjoyable in a way that feels like it’s good for you.

Top Bottom