What's new

DE shaving misconceptions

It's the blades for me. Ive only tried a hand full of blades, but all of them have one thing in common. The first few shaves are not the best. After about shave number five, they get much better. I know most guys would not agree with me, but that has been my experience. I don't know if it is me, my razors, or my lather. I don't think it is the lather becouse it is the one thing that I experiment with the most. Could it be the coating is wearing off? I have a Dorco st-301 with fifty-five shaves on it. I also have a no-name blade from the dollars store with twenty-five on it. Now both are smooth, comfortable blades. They weren't in the beginning. I have a VDH with around ten or so. Its latest shave was better than the one prior. I keep thinking that I must be mistaken. And thats why I have three brades in rotation. I know that they will eventually fail, but it's not after the first few shaves like most guys online say.

Thought the 100 pack of Lab Blues were terrible when I first bought them, they felt harsh. Revisited them and now they are now one of my favorites, very smooth.

Instead of a misconception, this I found to be more of a half truth. You can really dial in your perfect shave! While technically true, it would take decades in this day and age to get as dialed in as possible. But it's relatively easy to get pretty darn close!

Biggest misconception for me was that if I used a DE razor I'd automatically get great bbs shaves after just a little practice.

In truth, I can get a closer shave with a cart but I'll also have to wait about 4 days before shaving again and I can almost guarantee I'll have an ingrown hair or two.

With a DE razor, the shave might not be quite as close, but you'd only notice if you ran your hand across my face and against the grain. Plus, I can shave every two days with no irritation whatsoever. I'm working on getting to shave every day with no irritation.

So for me I use DE razors and shave more often and more comfortably, even if it's not quite as close as a cart. And heck, I'm the only one that will notice

Also, @gablett speaks the truth.

I'm fully committed to cartridges. I sometimes still shave with one of the DEs in my collection and nearly always it reminds me of why I moved on.
That's a good point. There really was a reason (besides advertising) that the Trac II took the world by storm when it was introduced.

I may be more accurate to say "at the beginning of the day".

Sometimes it's in the middle of the night for me. At least that parts not complicated.
I mean you could shave at night or during the day or midnight or midday or morning or evening or or or. Not complicated at all right?

I agree with the OP, the Rockwell 6 is great kit compared to EJ DE89/Merkur 34c that changes the game. Compared to my various Gillettes, Merkurs, Rex Ambassador, I feel the Rockwell 6s is like cheating...technique just doesn't seem to matter, I've never failed to a comfortable and effective shave out of it. For that reason I dont use my rockwell 6 often, I kind of enjoy the morning shave lottery that rewards or punishes your technique, and throws some luck into the mix.

I also agree that it is not necessarily a misconception. Some razors like the Rockwell (or a cartridge) will let you get away with flaws in technique whereas an R41 will discover every flaw you make (if ypu want to use such a razor). But that is not the point I think.

The second is expectation. Remember, most men shaved and shave only one pass with the grain and are happy with the result. Others shave three passes with touch up and stilll aren't satisfied. Not everybody can shave every day and not that close for diffrerent reasons (with closeness, PFB would be the most common reason I think). Therefore, different razors are made for different expectations and needs, and that is IMHO nothing that is stated otherwise.

The R89/DE89 e.g. is much like the old Super-Speed for the middle of the bell curve. It is not made to get shaves where you are BBS till nine in the evening. It is made to get a comfortable and close enough shave for average beard and skin, no more, no less. If you want (or need) more, you will overshave (which is IMHO bad techniquie btw). So, of course you might need other equipment (that's why there are diffrent razors) if you have to get more or want (and can) get closer (or an adjustable razor). It is no wonder, that razors like the Fatip Classic comes from Italy (southern Europe), and that it is much more standard to go to a barber instead of shaving yourself (like in Turkey, the Middle East etc.). Bell curve looks diffrent there (more dense and tougher beards).

So far, you should get a more or less decent shave with nearly every functioning razor. But a shave that fits you might need the right equipment, of course. The problem is, that most guys don't take their time to learn technique but switch to different gear to fast, looking to compensate for bad technique with new stuff, which most of the time does not really work (well, maybe the Rockwell does). But that guys out of the WASP/North-European bell curve might need other razors to be satisfied with their shaves, that should be kinda logic.

That it’s cheaper. Which, for a minimalist may prove true. Single razor, maximum blade use, single soap and brush. I know there are gents who abide by this setup and it probably is more cost effective in the long run. I’ve certainly spent more than I thought I would indulging my interest. At the same time, I’m enjoying myself, so I won’t overthink it. Rest assured, I’m no minimalist when it comes to shaving.
+1 For a while there was still a distant break even point on the horizon where traditional shaving would be more cost effective than carts. I’m afraid that I have recently past the point of no return. At this stage I could have bought a lifetime supply of electrics or carts and canned goo. I may still be able to claw my way back to being cheaper than carts by selling everything I don’t strictly need but I won’t do that. I use everything that I have and I enjoy it too much. It was never about being cheap for me. It was about getting a great shave that’s easy on your skin and trying something new. No regrets. I achieved my goal. I’m getting great shaves, learning everyday and having fun. Now in the year 2020 I’m an eccentric SR/DE/SE shaver. What percentage of the general population can say that?

It can be cheap in theory, but if you really get into it, mostly it’s not. We have the internet to thank for that.

Last edited:
When I first started down this route was in 2014, yes I was a cart shaver and I came across a DE razor so pulled the trigger and bought it. Along with some blades called Feather now, I'm going to tell you that was a big no huge mistake, The Razor was a Merkur Futur with Feather blades.

Now your thinking why was that a mistake, well at the time that was an aggressive razor added with very sharp blades. The razor and blades arrived I bought a tub of Wilkinson soap in the blue tub and a wooden brush, So I was happy that these came so watched a video how to make lather so made some and went to shave well I can tell you now do your research first.

The razor was set at 6 with feather blades so I did a 3 pass shave and talk about the sting, I was on fire put some aftershave on and hit the roof that made matters worse. My face looked like a bloodbath and glow its was beetroot colour At this point I thought I had skinned myself, 3 hours later I was still in pain and glowing so back onto the net and this is when I came across Badger & Blade.

So in 5 years, I have researched DE razors, Blades, Soaps and so forth, until I found the straights section on here as I bought a razor that came with a rusty straight. And now uses straight razors all the time but from soaps to brushes razors they all play a part in everyone's shave, So please do your research and do ask questions even if it sounds silly to you trust me it ain't.

Glad you found a set-up that really works for you!!

My biggest misconception was that I could do online research only to find the best products. Research helps, but in the end the only opinion that counts is my own! I need to try things for myself!! :a29:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The Wanderer's take on misconceptions:

1) More product + more water = better lather
No! More product + more water = MORE lather. For great shaves, I need about.0.5g of soft soap per shave, or 0.25g of hard soap, and I only need to coat the skin, not slap a meringue on my face.

2) Zamak makes for a sub standard razor.
No! My most used razors are all Zamak, and they are fantastic shavers. They might need some maintenance occasionally, and I had to replace a top tap after 7 years, but they are still fantastic value for money.

3) Expensive products are better.
I get vastly superior shaves from a Palmolive shave stick, than I do from Martin de Candre at 50x the price.

4) A rich dense lather is best.
A rich dense lather reduces shave feel, and inhibits awareness of the sharp blade on my face. There's a significantly increased risk of skin damage and weepers as a result.

5) Mild razors for beginners, and aggressive razors for experienced shavers.
I've been DE shaving for 30 years, and mild razors give me best results.

6) A straight razor will give you the closest and most comfortable shave.
Not for me. Double Edge is King, in terms of closeness, comfort, efficiency, convenience and enjoyment.

7) Menthol is cooling.
It burns my skin. I might as well use bleach.

8) YouTube is a great place to go for answers.
Just because someone uploads a video to the internet, does not make them right. A lot of the videos I've seen, show methods and techniques which would give me inferior shaves.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I like using cinnamon EO in my beard/pre-shave oils. I would recommend against you trying it. :)

If EO means essential oil, I thought I had some, but I just checked and it's nutmeg I have. Why would you avoid against cinnamon? Is it linked to menthol somehow?

If EO means essential oil, I thought I had some, but I just checked and it's nutmeg I have. Why would you avoid against cinnamon? Is it linked to menthol somehow?
Have you ever had hot toothpicks? They are made with cinnamon essential oil. It lacks the icy part of menthol, and is even more pronounced in the hot department.

Oh yeah! Real honest pure cinnamon has enough, and I'm blanking on the actual chemical or oil, to scorch what it touches. Pretty comparable to capsaicin. Most of what we've had is toned down and sweetened to be much more palatable. On food, it's a good heat. Any closer to the eyes, it's a LTL defense.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Have you ever had hot toothpicks? They are made with cinnamon essential oil. It lacks the icy part of menthol, and is even more pronounced in the hot department.
Oh yeah! Real honest pure cinnamon has enough, and I'm blanking on the actual chemical or oil, to scorch what it touches. Pretty comparable to capsaicin. Most of what we've had is toned down and sweetened to be much more palatable. On food, it's a good heat. Any closer to the eyes, it's a LTL defense.

Never even heard of hot toothpicks. I've used plenty of cinnamon in cooking, but have no experience of the oil. Thanks for the insights, Gents.

Top Bottom