What's new

DE shaving misconceptions

So after a few years into DE shaving, when I look back, I noticed that online research can make you believe stuff you later on realise was
all wrong. List some of things you learned trough research and then found out they were wrong or wrong for you.

Biggest misconception for me was: It is your tehnique, not your gear.

Gentlemen of B&B, sometimes it is the gear. Sometimes even universally liked set up, can't give a good shave. In my case good shave was painless shave. My setup was EJ DE89 and Polsilvers, which a lot people here agree is a good beginner and advanced set up that can give user darn good shaves for years.

I've stuck with EJ DE89 and Polsilvers for years, telling myself at first that my tehnique isn't there yet. Later it changed to - my skin is just that bad. I couldn't get a comfortable shave to kill myself. There was always at least one spot with razor burn or major alum sting. Always some iritation and post shave redness, everything on my neck. I couldn't even shave every 2 days. Maybe from time to time, but never 2 consecutive periods of 2 day shave (Monday and Wednesday was OK, Monday, Wednesday and Friday was painfull).
It all changed when I picked up Rockwell. I still use Polsilvers. But now I can shave every 2 days with no problems. Maybe I could even do every day but I don't have or wan't to.

There's so many variables in traditional shaving it can be hard to pin down the problem. Soap, water (hard vs. soft, amount), lather, pre-shave, blade, razor. But on the whole I agree with you - some people just don't get along with certain razors. But this is also true for blades, and for soaps and brushes.

So after a few years into DE shaving, when I look back, I noticed that online research can make you believe stuff you later on realise was
all wrong. List some of things you learned trough research and then found out they were wrong or wrong for you.

Gentlemen of B&B, sometimes it is the gear. Sometimes even universally liked set up, can't give a good shave. In my case good shave was painless shave. My setup was EJ DE89 and Polsilvers, which a lot people here agree is a good beginner and advanced set up that can give user darn good shaves for years.

I've stuck with EJ DE89 and Polsilvers for years, telling myself at first that my tehnique isn't there yet. Later it changed to - my skin is just that bad. I couldn't get a comfortable shave to kill myself. There was always at least one spot with razor burn or major alum sting. Always some iritation and post shave redness, everything on my neck. I couldn't even shave every 2 days. Maybe from time to time, but never 2 consecutive periods of 2 day shave (Monday and Wednesday was OK, Monday, Wednesday and Friday was painfull).
It all changed when I picked up Rockwell. I still use Polsilvers. But now I can shave every 2 days with no problems. Maybe I could even do every day but I don't have or wan't to.

Sometimes different gear requires different technique.

How to hold the handle depends on whether
it swivels or pivots or doesn't.

It's the blades for me. Ive only tried a hand full of blades, but all of them have one thing in common. The first few shaves are not the best. After about shave number five, they get much better. I know most guys would not agree with me, but that has been my experience. I don't know if it is me, my razors, or my lather. I don't think it is the lather becouse it is the one thing that I experiment with the most. Could it be the coating is wearing off? I have a Dorco st-301 with fifty-five shaves on it. I also have a no-name blade from the dollars store with twenty-five on it. Now both are smooth, comfortable blades. They weren't in the beginning. I have a VDH with around ten or so. Its latest shave was better than the one prior. I keep thinking that I must be mistaken. And thats why I have three brades in rotation. I know that they will eventually fail, but it's not after the first few shaves like most guys online say.

Technique is still the most important but there are a lot of other factors that play in as you said. Razor + blade will play a big factor in the comfort of your shave. Some prefer a milder razor while others prefer the efficient option. Once you find a one that agrees you skin, technique will be the determining factor in your shave.

Soap is another thing and although it does not matter as much, it still plays a role for me. I like to shave with soaps that does not dry out my skin so that limits some of the commercial options. That said, I'm happy with the artisan options that I have and I got plenty to work with.

I tend to think angles and the direction of hair growth (face mapping) plays the biggest role, more so than anything else. If irritation is the issue, start at the beginning and figure out what parts of your face need what angle from the blade to cut without irritation. Do all one direction and get that angle right then figure out the next. It will become muscle memory with some focus after a while.

... I’d rather be shaving! [emoji631]

I disagree it IS your technique.
Guess what,you should be able to get good shave using "good" and "bad" setups, if you can't get good shaves with "good" setups, then it's your technique that's lacking, not the gear you are using.
While some people might have an easier time learning to use a certain razor properly, some people (like yourself) might not be able to.
It's still not the products fault, its your technique.
I am obviously not as good with certain razors as I am with others, but if you spend al your time using equipment you are good at using, you will never learn to use any other equipment.
And if you keep getting poor shaves with a certain razor or blade, start to analyze what you are doing and make small changes from there. You will be surprised, and you will learn a lot, I am speaking from experience.
I have taken equipment I thought I would never get great shaves with, and I have over time learned to use it properly.
In the end, if you don't end up with a good shave, it's "your fault", and if you get a perfect shave, then that's also "your fault"

Biggest misconception for me: how much product I'd use...WOW...did I way overestimate...and still do

I'd go thru a cartridge every week or so and a can of shaving gel every couple of weeks, so I thought that the equivalent blades, soaps, and creams would take about the same time, too. It did not take long for me to realize that soaps take about a month or longer to finish, a 50-blade pack is nearly a year's worth of shaving, and my desire to try new products has far out paced my ability to use up what I have.

For me some of the biggest misconceptions could’ve maybe been construed as my unreasonable expectations.

First was that my skin would be as smooth as glass just because I was using a DE razor. My skin just can’t handle that close of a shave with any combination of my razors and blades I’ve tried. So I settle for a pretty good shave.

Could it be technique? Perhaps. But I don’t really want to peruse multiple days worth or irritation just to maybe get a few % more smooth. It grows back anyways, so why bother.

Second was that it would be difficult to learn to use a safety razor. Maybe it’s different for everyone, but it only took me a handful of shaves to be able to get a serviceable shave.

Third, and the most recent one I’ve discovered, is that a nice brush will be a transcendent experience if I’ve only ever used a very cheap brush. This has not been the case for me.

Granted I swapped from a 9 dollar “badger hair” brush to a nicer synthetic brush. So maybe the differences are less apparent or it’s apples to oranges. In either case, I’d argue that it didn’t make much of a difference (and likely was a waste of money) and that going from no brush to using a brush is more of a game changer.

Something that was true? A more enjoyable shave, and a very low chance of an ingrown hair. The single edge simply feels better shaving through the hair than a cartridge razor. As long as I’m being anything other than belligerent, I get no irritation. I seldom get ingrown hairs these days.

Even if using a safety razor only got me an equivalent shave to a cartridge razor (definitely gets a little closer) I would still choose the safety razor just for the user experience.

Razor blades "give" you weepers. How does that work?

The blade is an inert piece of steel. What is it doing, leaping out and "getting" you while you're not paying attention? How about the person holding the razor? Don't they have anything to do with getting weepers?
:laugh:

So I debated on posting in this thread but I have received a ton of very helpful one on one advice here that I really appreciated so I figured this is my chance to return the favor in a small way maybe.

Some of this may go against the grain a bit or be controversial but this is my honest and truthful observation in this "hobby" for the short time I have been doing it. And maybe being relatively new gives me a unique perspective because I have none of the prejudice for lack of a better word, against things that may have been at one time been viewed as inferior.

So Ill start short a sweet and elaborate. I think the biggest misconception is that there is some massive, obvious, plain as day difference between products. That would include razors, blades, software, you name it. Now don't get me wrong there is difference, but I feel it is very subtle. I spent months trying to convince myself that every time I tried something new it was "the one". When in reality, the quality of the products we have to use are outstanding virtually across the board.

Now for the boring part you can skip if you disagree or just dont want to read it. But I figured someone might find it helpful.

Razors: I have tried a ton. Various levels of efficiency, materials, OC, SB, and the list goes on. I don't find huge differences. A good quality razor will give you a good quality shave. The one exception for me on the list was, oddly enough, the DE89. I hated that razor. I still don't get along with it. It almost made me quit before I got started. I would not recommend it to a beginner, but many people do. The subtle differences I notice basically boil down to open comb or closed comb. Yea I can probably tell one of my razors from another. But I dont think you are going to have this nirvana moment when you use a razor and know its the one.

Brushes: I tried a low quality synthetic to start with. Then proceeded to convince myself that animal hair was vastly superior and that is all I would use. Yep I was a brush snob about a month in. Then I got curious and tried a modern, high quality synthetic. I now own zero animal hair brushes besides a boar brush that I got from a friend that won't be going anywhere. Do I think synthetics are vastly superior to animal hair in performance? No. But they are easier to maintain, much cheaper, and have a few very minor qualities that I value.

Blades: This is the one that gets me the most. The notion, again IMHO, that one blade is going to be so superior for you that it will be so obvious it is the blade for you I feel is a misconception. One that will send you down a rabbit hole of frustration trying to figure out, now which blade did I like better? Don't get me wrong, there are differences. But subtle. I tried a ton of blades and yes some were just plain garbage and thats pretty well accepted here. But once you narrow down the field, my favorite blade is the one I shaved with last.

Soap: I went down this rabbit hole hard and fast. Again, every time I got something new I convinced myself there was some major difference and this was the best soap for me. Honestly, what it seems to boil down to is scent. Find a scent profile you like and any of the good quality artisans will get you a great lather. You can look back through my posts here, I convinced myself that B&M was so much better than lowly Stirling. Nothing could be further from the truth. They are both fantastic soaps with very different approaches and scent profiles. Again, subtle differences.

If this bursts some bubbles, Im sorry. I really felt the need to give my honest opinion from my perspective. Yes, the chase is fun. And the experimentation is what has drawn me to this hobby. But the notion of finding that one combination that will destroy all others is just false, at least for me. There are so many fantastic products out there, you really can't go wrong.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
That it’s cheaper. Which, for a minimalist may prove true. Single razor, maximum blade use, single soap and brush. I know there are gents who abide by this setup and it probably is more cost effective in the long run. I’ve certainly spent more than I thought I would indulging my interest. At the same time, I’m enjoying myself, so I won’t overthink it. Rest assured, I’m no minimalist when it comes to shaving.

Biggest misconception was that I'd save $$ switching to DE blades/wetshaving.

Sure, that would be true if I used the cheapest soap & brush & razor.

But it really doesn't take going down the rabbit hole too much to offset any savings.

Don't get me wrong, I love my new hobby and wouldn't change a thing. But I wouldn't promote the idea that it's been better for my wallet.:hand:

Hmmm I was an true archer, meaning stubborn doing it my way and loving the trip.
From gilette Mach I went to oneblade genesis and took a qshave adjustable to learn to shave bloody...
Tried antique gems, slants and torques
Still have a weak spot for tilting head razors love my broman and still keep my qshave to keep my technique on edge.
And cheaper naaaaaah easily swallowed a 1000 euro in the last years.
Sold some razors toooo.

And the biggest what works for you works for me.

Though it is interesting if you find someone who is pretty close in that respect.

I kept it as simple as possible. Coming directly from electric after 30+ years, I had no misconceptions or expectations. I got the mildest, cheapest reputable razor (plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic came with 5 blades), used my wife's shave cream, watched a lot of shaving vids on YT and with a lot of respect for sharp metal gave it a try. Turns out I caught on quick as less than 3 weeks later I had it down. Almost a year later and here I am.

Biggest misconception I see is that the cost of the razor=quality of the shave.

For some, it is a question of equipment. My youngest son has used a DE for five years now. He started off with a Parker (I don't recall which one) and he would get irritation with it no matter what blades he used. I lent him my Feather AS-D2 razor and the irritation stopped. He used to shave every other day and after shaving his face and neck would be red. When he switched to the Feather he now shaves every day without any problems. A few weeks ago I lent him my Tech razor and he liked that one so much he bought one on Etsy.

I started shaving in 1962 with a Gillette Slim with the Blue blades, perfected my technique and finally got a bloodless shave. Changed razor blades to Wilkinson Sword, use them to this day, only in the last few years did I permanently add the Astra SP blade. It is my opinion that technique is basically the most important factor to the shave, and then adding a combination of blade to razor, soap to brush, pre-shave to after shave. My Dad taught me, Keep your shave simple.

Top Bottom