What's new

DE newbie with a muhler r41

I’m far from an expert on straights or steel or what makes a good razor. I started with a 1950’s 5/8ths Thomas Turner & Co in brilliant condition which came shave ready (though I had to send it away to be redone as the seller hadn’t done a great job). While this was at the honers I was given a 6/8ths shave ready Gold Dollar which was great.
Then I bought a 7/8ths Henckels Friodur 1/4 hollow which is bigger and heavier than my others. I mostly use the Turner and the Henckels. If I was you I’d start with a shave ready Gold Dollar, it’ll shave just fine and if you hate it you’ve lost pretty much nothing.

Cartridge to R41 to Cut-Throat
Here’s a link to my straight razor diary, it might help.
Thanks for the info. I'm starting off with a shave ready Gold Dollar. Nice looking. Made in China I'm taking it? That's where it's coming from, which got off eBay! Cost only 14 dollars!

Yeah they make them in China, but I’d take some care as to whom you buy it off as I hear lots of people buy things that are supposedly shave ready but really aren’t and you don’t want to start with a dud.

So you've been using straights. I wondered where you been. I've never been brave enough to try a straight.
My girl bought me one early December for Christmas, I doubt id’ve bought myself one. But after the first use which was admittedly pretty scary I started to wake up looking forward to the challenge. I use it every day now, I wouldn’t say I’d mastered it I still have a long way to go but I can get pretty much daily bbs shaves. It’s a lot of scary fun.

I am purchasing astra blades next order when I run out of my feathers, because of the savings in the price.
Both cheaper and better in my opinion. Astra and R41 is a very smooth and consistent combination and is plenty sharp enough for easy bbs. I can get 2-3 good uses from one.
Feathers for me are lethal sharp for one use then they scrape. I’ve still got a few feathers but I doubt I’d buy more when they’ve gone.

I also bought a shavette straight razor to try out. Thought I would add that in this post.
Good luck with the shavette, I’ve never tried one, i heard it said that they’re very sharp but you have to be careful with it. I suppose that’s the case with anything though.

Both cheaper and better in my opinion. Astra and R41 is a very smooth and consistent combination and is plenty sharp enough for easy bbs. I can get 2-3 good uses from one.
Feathers for me are lethal sharp for one use then they scrape. I’ve still got a few feathers but I doubt I’d buy more when they’ve gone.
I was wondering, well a question how is the packaging for the astra blades? I bought GSB blades from Russia, the packaging wasn't the best. I will be careful with the shavette, I was thinking just go wtg only for a little while!

The packaging was fine on all the Astras I’ve bought. Yeah probably a good choice just going wtg for a while but who knows, just do what’s comfortable. I ended up going wtg, xtg and atg in areas on my first straight razor shave so just see how you go.

Yeah they make them in China, but I’d take some care as to whom you buy it off as I hear lots of people buy things that are supposedly shave ready but really aren’t and you don’t want to start with a dud.
I just wanted to comment on this, the gold dollar one I got is not shave ready. Nothing I can do about that now! I have to learn how to sharpen the blade properly or I will be at a loss. Have not received it yet. I noticed a lot are shave ready, but at a higher price where I have been looking.

If I was you I’d send it off to be honed. Not sure where you’re based but here in England it costs about £20, money well spent. Once it’s made shave ready it’s not the hardest job in the world to keep it touched up. I bought some lapping film. 20 or so edge leading laps on a 1micron piece usually does the trick.

If I was you I’d send it off to be honed. Not sure where you’re based but here in England it costs about £20, money well spent. Once it’s made shave ready it’s not the hardest job in the world to keep it touched up. I bought some lapping film. 20 or so edge leading laps on a 1micron piece usually does the trick.
Buying an hone, hone it myself. Seen YouTube videos on it it!

My straight razor is on its way today, looking forward to try it out. The shavette. Got to wait for the gold still. It will be a new experience for me. Newb

Top Bottom