What's new

DE Gillette Super Click featuring Fusion Flexball- something old, something new

Wanting to add a little more umph to the SuperClick Flexball, I ordered some small springs to place on the post that springs the cart. Have to see how this goes. Maybe it will become a monster of a razor?

A spring to go on the post that you can see in this picture. It pushes the cart. Adding more resistance to the (internal) spring with an external spring may make it a bloodletting implement. Or it may become incredible?

The added tension really adds alot to the shave, It shaves like a truck now. I was a little scared to give this thing a go, but it produced a fine 2.5 pass face and neck shave. Problem areas solved relatively easily. Great no focus, no irritation, go go shave. If I wanted to go full BBS I would do cleanup with another razor. I may try that with this kit at some point, but I don't know if this is the razor for perfect BBS.

This is the v5 supervillain upgrade to an already unholy contraption: Adjustable multiple pivot DE razor.

Note- before adding tension, I needed the sharpest blades around. I will try Wizament and Swedes in the future to see if a step down in sharpness and step up in smoothness makes a difference.

Edit- please disregard the moisture, superglue residue and soapscum in the photo. This is a v5 prototype user, not a shelf queen.

Attachments

• IMG_7584 - Copy.jpeg
    IMG_7584 - Copy.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 13
I gave Gillette Labs razor a run today with the factory cart. Boy, is it nice. Usury prices though!

The spring is already a lot more robust than the Flexball, and it is very quiet! This is a nice feature, the Flexball is loud as hell when you shave with it.

The Labs razor feels like it hugs the face better as well, must be the exfoliation strip adding friction to the razor. It is a really great shave. Looking forward to tinkering with it next week after I get back from my trip.

A couple more shaves with Labs was had over the past few days. It is really a luxurious version of Flexball. Much firmer and quiet. Feels good in the hand. Once you map your beard a great two pass shave can be had.

That being said, this morning was a blurry hungover shave with the Super Click Flexball v5. Really nice and uneventful, even considering the circumstances. In fact, it is probably the perfect razor for those circumstances. :)

Fourth shave with the v5. Most excellent. The 2nd and clean up pass were with a Katana loaded with both a Schick injector AND and single Usta blade. It shaved very well but felt a little dangerous. The injector blade gave it more top support than just a 1/2 DE would have, but it still felt a bit dangerous. No support underneath. I'll try it again tomorrow, but I think the injector is probably better by itself. It is quite nice actually.

Full shave today with the v5. 2 pass with full buffing passes. Squeaky clean 99% BBS. It can do it, but I think using two razors is still the way to go. The right tool for the right job.

Once thing of note, the spring makes the head activate a lot less so the shave is quieter. The activation of the head creates a bothersome clicking sound, which it not such an issue with v5. The Labs razors has removed this sound as well.

The hacked Labs razor was up this weekend. After a couple false starts due to poor and expired superglue, it was a go. My v1 was glued too high and was not a good shaver. So for v2, I dropped the Super Click head down a bit and things were much better. Still not amazing though. I do enjoy the stronger springs. That is a nice feature.

At the moment the edge of the rubber strip on the bottom scrapes away a fair bit of lather. It may be that having more than one point of contact is actually a good thing. If I remove the rubber strip, the plastic support underneath might still contact my skin; however the head will be more open.

Step by step, but these carts are super expensive, so every alteration needs to be carefully considered.

After a couple uses, I really enjoy the Labs. Something about the feel and lack of clicking sound are both on point. I think what needs to come will be round robin tournament of my three converted Super Clicks:

1. Gillette Flexball v5 (with spring)
2. Feather Samira v2
3. Gillette Labs v2

They all do a fine job in shaving and especially for first pass Clearing the Forest. What will be the Goldilocks?

Top Bottom