What's new

DE Gillette Super Click featuring Fusion Flexball- something old, something new

I am especially curious about the Mach 3D. The handle slewing pivot seems intriguing.
Well, it sort of worked, but there are issues:
- A steel head is too heavy for the strength of the built-in spring. I'll need to dig out a featherweight.
- Fit can be good, but the fastening it is somewhat tricky, because the plastic parts of the head are flexible.
- It seems that using a neutral/negative exposure head is best for this.

I tried a dscosmetic Mars head with a Mach 3 cart skeleton head. It sort of worked, but not well. The screw became a little loose after a few strokes. The (slightly) positive exposure made it a touch too aggressive in any case.

Perhaps a spring could help, but I'm thinking that maybe a 3D printed mechanism might be better.
A small thing like a spring between the handle and head, could make it more resistent to pressure, if not able to pivot to follow skin contours.

Well, it sort of worked, but there are issues:
- A steel head is too heavy for the strength of the built-in spring. I'll need to dig out a featherweight.
- Fit can be good, but the fastening it is somewhat tricky, because the plastic parts of the head are flexible.
- It seems that using a neutral/negative exposure head is best for this.

I tried a dscosmetic Mars head with a Mach 3 cart skeleton head. It sort of worked, but not well. The screw became a little loose after a few strokes. The (slightly) positive exposure made it a touch too aggressive in any case.

Perhaps a spring could help, but I'm thinking that maybe a 3D printed mechanism might be better.
A small thing like a spring between the handle and head, could make it more resistent to pressure, if not able to pivot to follow skin contours.
That is an interesting idea, adding a spring to the mechanism. That could be done quite easily with the Fusion, the post that pushes the cart is open and available. But this precludes one from removing the center bar from the back of the cart. That is ok as everything can be put higher up. But the built in spring is lacking, adding an additional spring would help this!

I have some 304 SS and plastic M5 nuts on the way. Will be interesting to see how they handle the metal cap. However, I am thinking maybe the protrusion of the metal lunk could a a place I would put a finger to add a bit of tension.

The first shave with the Super Click on a Feather F3 Samrai was amazing! Powerfully built, solid in the hand, the engineering of the Samrai is a marvel. Floating head ftw. I will start another thread about it and link it here.

In comparison, the Fusion Flexball felt lighter and weaker. The extra heft and rigidity added a great deal of efficiency with the Samrai.

Attachments

• IMG_5710 - Copy.jpeg
    IMG_5710 - Copy.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I've used the handle from the Gillette Exfoliating razor (blades removed from the cartridge), a Gillette Blue DE head, affixed to the cartridge skeleton using an M5 threaded rivet.
It turned out that the safety bar curving downward was crucial to keeping the DE head reasonably well in place.

The shave itself was alright, although when I also tried the DE head on a fixed handle, it turned out to be a little smoother, so maybe there was some movement along on the body of the rivet.
Having said that, it still provided a pretty decent shave.

PXL_20230910_153331606.jpg
PXL_20230910_153336762.jpg
PXL_20230910_153345129.jpg
PXL_20230910_153431214.jpg

I've used the handle from the Gillette Exfoliating razor (blades removed from the cartridge), a Gillette Blue DE head, affixed to the cartridge skeleton using an M5 threaded rivet.
It turned out that the safety bar curving downward was crucial to keeping the DE head reasonably well in place.

The shave itself was alright, although when I also tried the DE head on a fixed handle, it turned out to be a little smoother, so maybe there was some movement along on the body of the rivet.
Having said that, it still provided a pretty decent shave.

View attachment 1715664View attachment 1715665View attachment 1715666View attachment 1715667
Wow, that is interesting. I was never able to figure out how to use the metal bottom plate on the Fusion cart. The safety bar has been too large. The plastic Super Click has an even flat bottom, so the safety bar is more like a bar.

I see that the blade on your rig is much lower than the forward pivot. That gave me worse shaves in v1 and v2 versus v4 (which has a trailing blade). The post Sensor handles are designed for having the blades above the forward pivot (this trailing).

I took delivery of plastic and metal m5 nuts. I'll post an impression on how that shave went in a bit.

Wow, that is interesting. I was never able to figure out how to use the metal bottom plate on the Fusion cart. The safety bar has been too large. The plastic Super Click has an even flat bottom, so the safety bar is more like a bar.

I see that the blade on your rig is much lower than the forward pivot. That gave me worse shaves in v1 and v2 versus v4 (which has a trailing blade). The post Sensor handles are designed for having the blades above the forward pivot (this trailing).

I took delivery of plastic and metal m5 nuts. I'll post an impression on how that shave went in a bit.
I've noticed you'd changed the position of the DE head in between versions, but screwing the head on doesn't quite afford the same flexibility.

However, I've been "solving" it by putting the razor head to face middle-first, so that, once the pivot engages, it engages pretty well.

Shaved with two razors today. One is my v4 loaded with a Kai. It certainly felt efficient, but the blade feel was tremendous. I was a little scared, so I put it down for my Super Click on a Feather F3 Samrai handle. The blade was BIC CP (2) and the shave was magical. I only did two passes. Three was necessary for a BBS (perhaps) but it was such a great DFS that I decided to stop.
More trials with the Kai blade will be upcoming, but I may just explore and enjoy the Samrai for a bit.

After a couple tries, I think Kais are not the answer with this rig. It just didn't give a good shave. I think the extra width causes geometry issues. Stick with standard DE blades (but sharp ones!).

As to the metal version with Gillette Super Blue cap, I have decommissioned it. Again, there were geometry issues. Having the Super Click head so high meant that the bottom plastic hinge bar (not the guard bar) scraped the skin. The thinline metal cap contributed to this as well. I may test another metal version but this time leave on the rubber microfins. This may help? Actually, I think the v4 is pretty much ideal for what it is. It is structurally strong and the geometry works.

The next area of exploration is the Feather F3 Samrai (fantastic so far) and when I can get one, the Gillette Labs razor.

Over the next few days I will test a genuine 2016 Polsilver in the v4 and a Nacet in the Samrai.

Wish me luck!

2016 Polsilver was great! Nacet worked really well too, a touch grittier than the Pol. Was the 2016 Pol better than my 2022 Wizamets? That will be a challenge for another day. Are they going to replace Bic CP at my top spot? I doubt it. But again, time may tell.

It is reported that Bics use Japanese steel, perhaps that is why they can get so sharp and long lasting:

Also, I have started using a buffing razor to get to true BBS. The best I can do with the v4 is BBS-. The automatic pivots can't seem to get to a low enough angle to cut a few hard to get hairs. I will explore going all the way with the pivot to force the low angle as well as mechanical means by pushing the cart a bit with a finger.

I need more time with the Samrai to know if it has such limitations, it has much more robust pivots.

Still, they are both very safe razors. Over the two months of using them, I only remember one nick and I think that was from being too sloppy and moving too fast with an odd edge getting snagged somehow.

BBS shave today, but not an OMG BBS shave today. First pass was a Feather Popular with a Bic CP (2-3). It had been packed away for a bit, turns out I had it overtightened in the past. It had a frown which made it a bitey shaver. Didn't overtighten this time and everything was straight. Lots of fun. You can't go wrong with Japanese engineering.

Pass 2 and 3 were with the Super Click on Feather F3 Samrai loaded with a 2016 PolSilver (2). The Samrai is much more efficient that the Gillette v4, the springs are much more robust. A bit of redness but no blood and no burn (so far). It may be that my lather was not good enough on pass 3 or I pushed too hard a few time due to fighting the spring at certain angles.

It will be interesting to see how a sharper blade performs in the Samrai. Will try a Bic CP and a Feather in the future.

After a few days of using fixed DE type razors that are not these rigs, I noticed the true value of my creations. Using them in a few passes really gets all the "normal" hairs. The pivots do work, with no real need for technique. Chin and lips especially. DFS+/BBS- is pretty easy. The jury is still out on getting flat laying hairs. Those may require the sharpest of blades or some more practice.

Also, sharp and smooth blades are the call words.

Great shave today. Rapira Platinum Lux (1) in the v4 with Proraso Blue. Three pass shave with long easy strokes. Clean up with an AC Feather Pro blade in a Yaqi/Baili hybrid for those tough to reach spots. Easy irritation free BBS.

Rapira Platinum Lux is a nice blade, but not really sharp enough for Prime Time (for me). Also, I don't really like the bitey feel of the Feather Pro for a whole face shave, but it is effective for spot cleanup. I tried buffing with the Mellon recently and the extra strokes just gave too much irritation. Will try the Mellon and a Tech for cleanup sans buffing in the future.

Business travel for the next week or so, I think it will cart or disposable time for a bit.

After some so-so shaves with disposables on a trip, today was back to the F3 Samrai and Proraso Blue. 2016 Polsilver (2). Great two pass with cleanup shave. I was a bit disjointed from the travel and shave was still easy and close.

Fantastic two pass shaves (with minor cleanup). First pass was with Polsiver (3 and 4) to get off the hairs, second pass and cleanup was with a Yaqi Excalibur Chrome head loaded with a Kai Captain Pink Mild (1 and 2). That thing is a monster, but it is a bit uncomfortable on the first pass (for me). Slaughters the remaining hairs easily and smoothly on the second.

It feels like my memories of a getting a neck shave with a straight razor back in the day.

Maybe it it excess to use two razors to shave, but they make a great tag team. Smoke em if ya got em right?

Two shaves with the Gillette Flexball with a Ruby (1 and 2) and the Kai Pink Excalibur. A very good shave. I think the Feather F3 is better than the Gillette Flexball though. Ruby is also very nice. I think Bic CP and Gillette Super Thin Platinum (Japan Steel) may be better though.

The setup is now first pass with either a Superclick Fusion or Superclick Samrai (clearing the forest) and then cleanup with a Yaqi Romulus (grinding the stumps). The Excalibur is ok, but alignment is an issue and the geometry is kinda unsafe. Not a bad ~$6 investment for just the head and $15 for the Kai Captain Milds to give AC a chance though. The Romulus is much better.

I overshaved about a year ago and developed a red patch on my cheek. It has slowly started to fade with the new combination of gear.

The exfoliating Gillette Labs razor has become available here. Once I give it a few shaves I will convert it as well. At that point I will three converted razors (4 really): Gillette Flexball (regular and limited edition), Feather Samrai, and Gillette Labs.

Too many? Perhaps. But there may also be differences. I am also on the lookout for a small spring to add to the spring post on the Flexball. I think a little added tension could make it even better.

A little bit different kit today.

1st Pass was Feather Samrai loaded with a Gillette Platinum Swede (using Gillette Slide on the face and J Hook on the neck)
2nd Pass/Cleanup with Gillette New SC loaded with Wizamet. Really great. The New SC does an impressive stand in for an AC razor, maybe even smoother. Love the blade rigidity. There is more risk of neck irritation with the New SC, so that must be monitored.

Another fun bit of kit today. Both razors were hacks. First pass was my SuperClick Flexball v4 loaded with Bic CP. Second and Clean up were with a (very) junky Yaqi Katana (v1?) head on a Baili handle loaded with a Japan Schick injector blade. That razor is (poorly) designed for 1/2 DE, but the Schick was loads better and is much safer. Lots of blade feel and sharpness, no chatter. A very smooth secure shave- Mr Shiny Face in fact.

If you have the head and and an injector blade, give it a shot. It is pretty awesome. As you can make the razor heavier than injectors, it may even be better than injector razors. Alignment is a touch finicky, but worth it!

Day two with the SuperClick Flexball and Injector Katana combo. Even better than the first. This time I consciously used more J Hook techniques on my neck. Great shave, the kind you imagine when you switch to DE. Still some room for improvement too!

The Injector Katana is quite blade forward, and this seems to give me the best cleanup passes. Make me rethink the Excalibur vs Romulus comment. The Excalibur head loaded with the Kai Captain Mild is also very good at cleanup. Is it better than the Romulus loaded with a Feather Super? I need to test this! The Romulus loaded with a Kai Captain Mild is a much better "shaver" but I am not certain if it is a better tool for cleanup. It is much milder than the three above options.

Top Bottom