What's new

Darwin Popular - the more unknown Darwin and the Eclipse closest cousin? (pics)

Guys, wanted to share a very first-hand impression of the Darwin Popular, which (it would be fair to say) has been largely overlooked because of its gorgeous sisters the Deluxe and the Standard. More plain and ordinary looking and not made in cobalt steel like the others. But still gorgeous and (to me) utterly attractive.

Description
The Popular is a chrome plated all-brass razor, 2-piece, solid bar setup. Built probably in the 1940s (but nobody knows!!), and significantly it has the same old school ‘adjustability’ as the Eclipse Red Ring: You can untighten it a bit and shave with it untightened. (To me however that sounds unsafe, I’ve never tried it with my Eclipse and probably never will. More daring members here have tried it and liked it...).

Also, the Popular has a feature I never saw before - when taken apart the head baseplate swiwels freely, mounted solidly on the handle(!). Strange. Probably has to do with the adjustability, even if I cannot figure out on first sight what good that does...:confused1

...As a matter of fact, in physical view the Popular looks a helluva lot like the Eclipse - if they had come unbranded I would have thought that they were from the same company. As it stand however they are like close cousins - you get the same feel, balance etc.

History
Not much really is known about the Popular’s background and history, apart from the very brief description in Waits (pic below). Today, it appears to be even rarer than the Deluxe and the Standard, and only very few seems to have survived to this day. In the Darwin general thread here on B&B it is mentioned only very sporadically and I was only able to identify 2 or 3 other owners!

Seller of this particular one told me that it actually used to belong to a former Darwin company employee(!), and when this gentleman passed it was given to a grandson who then eventually sent it forward. It is in quite good shape, certainly not perfect, clearly has been loved :001_tt1: and thus used a lot. The plating is worn here and there - but still not too much and the mechanics are flawless.

Tomorrow: First shave!

Here, for the archives and for your enjoyment, a few pics:
F4857251-D28B-44BA-B0A8-762DD7F534F0.jpeg
3F4167AF-D0AC-439C-AA5C-C055925224AB.jpeg
232108E8-4165-4989-8925-FEE34FE83651.jpeg
6D4B7849-8CF3-4BE9-A0C7-B021DC44505B.jpeg
6FB354F5-1F8E-4746-9906-2F8C344AABC4.jpeg
7AB980BA-16FB-43F0-ACA7-8F0A187F3D2F.jpeg

The Popular together with the Eclipse and a nice US 1941 Ranger Tech
2EE1F1B9-B12C-478A-AC7C-98A07CE3C5CA.jpeg

...And alone with its very close cousin...
3B4C0B8A-6D61-4622-956C-52EC61CB00AC.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for sharing this with us, Northstonehill [emoji482]

Enviado desde mi Aquaris_A4.5 mediante Tapatalk

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Very cool, Peter. The head reminds me also of a Barbasol NFH.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! - I fully agree, this morning when loading it and holding the topcap I was thinking exactly that this looks a lot like a Barbasol FH cap. But I did not think about the baseplate, you are so right the look very much alike.

I never had a nonfloating head Barbasol and quickly sold my very nice FH because I found it too aggressive. Now, after having discovered Israeli Personnas I think I may have acted too quickly. The Popular shave was GREAT, it is not mild for sure (like, say an Eclipse RR or a #66) but very smooth and totally efficient - the post-shave feel sitting here now is awesome. It has an almost non-existing blade gap but the head is narrow and the blade sticks out almost to the edge, I assume this is what provides the combined smoothness/high efficiency feeel. This is a keeper!

Guys, wanted to share a very first-hand impression of the Darwin Popular, which (it would be fair to say) has been largely overlooked because of its gorgeous sisters the Deluxe and the Standard. More plain and ordinary looking and not made in cobalt steel like the others. But still gorgeous and (to me) utterly attractive.

Description
The Popular is a chrome plated all-brass razor, 2-piece, solid bar setup. Built probably in the 1940s (but nobody knows!!), and significantly it has the same old school ‘adjustability’ as the Eclipse Red Ring: You can untighten it a bit and shave with it untightened. (To me however that sounds unsafe, I’ve never tried it with my Eclipse and probably never will. More daring members here have tried it and liked it...).

Also, the Popular has a feature I never saw before - when taken apart the head baseplate swiwels freely, mounted solidly on the handle(!). Strange. Probably has to do with the adjustability, even if I cannot figure out on first sight what good that does...:confused1

...As a matter of fact, in physical view the Popular looks a helluva lot like the Eclipse - if they had come unbranded I would have thought that they were from the same company. As it stand however they are like close cousins - you get the same feel, balance etc.

History
Not much really is known about the Popular’s background and history, apart from the very brief description in Waits (pic below). Today, it appears to be even rarer than the Deluxe and the Standard, and only very few seems to have survived to this day. In the Darwin general thread here on B&B it is mentioned only very sporadically and I was only able to identify 2 or 3 other owners!

Seller of this particular one told me that it actually used to belong to a former Darwin company employee(!), and when this gentleman passed it was given to a grandson who then eventually sent it forward. It is in quite good shape, certainly not perfect, clearly has been loved :001_tt1: and thus used a lot. The plating is worn here and there - but still not too much and the mechanics are flawless.

Tomorrow: First shave!

Here, for the archives and for your enjoyment, a few pics:
View attachment 948145View attachment 948153 View attachment 948146 View attachment 948147 View attachment 948148 View attachment 948149

The Popular together with the Eclipse and a nice US 1941 Ranger TechView attachment 948150

...And alone with its very close cousin...View attachment 948151

FABULOUS!! Thanks for sharing!!

Top Bottom