What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday. New razor today.

9-9-23.SS-L1+.Mike's.Rave'sManchiurian.640.JPG

This is the Superslant L1+.

The L1+ baseplate was ordered because I felt the L1++, as good as it is, was a bit uncomfortable going ATG S-N on my upper lip. The L1+ baseplate is not devoid of blade feel used S-N on my upper lip, but it seemed this morning to be devoid of uncomfortable blade feel.

It is too soon to be sure, but from just one shave, I suspect this will become a Daily Driver. (My highest category for ranked razors is Daily Driver.) I did suffer one tiny, and not particularly painful, cut or nick on my chin proving all razors can cut you. (It did not feel like a bite.) Overall, the L1+ seemed to hit the sweet spot for me, being comfortable throughout the shave, delivering a shave which, immediately post shave, seems close and satisfactory.

A brand new Willy's was installed prior to the shave.

Last night I applied shea butter. This morning I washed my face at the sink with the Cube. I also applied the Cube as a preshave. As you probably already know the Cube and the Tube contain exactly the same product. The Tube is far less messy as a preshave as one's hands don't touch the product, but I was in no hurry and felt like using the Cube. Perhaps doing so took me out of my rhythm and was less effective on my chin thus contributing to the little cut.

Today I used one of my very favorite Manchurian brushes. It has the most delicious scrub, perfect ergonomics, and is always a joy to use. Over the time I've been using it, the knot has improved which is saying a lot as the knot was great when I first got it. As I've mentioned the brush came to me third hand. I'd guess it had been plenty broken in before a generous member sent it to me as a surprise gift. The large knot has broken in even more now. If anything, it's better than it used to be.

1694271444108.png
Is this true?

I doubt that successful people delude themselves all that much. However, the meme is food for thought on a morning when food itself sounds like a bad idea.​

My skin feels good. My gut doesn't. I feel like and think I have a little bug. It doesn't look like it is going to mess up my Saturday watching college football, but it has certainly stopped me from going to the pool this morning to exercise. Fortunately I got in a great workout yesterday afternoon.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Is this true?

I doubt that successful people delude themselves all that much. However, the meme is food for thought on a morning when food itself sounds like a bad idea.

1694271444108-png.1715101

As a retired engineer: The glass is operating at 50% capacity, and therefore has a safety factor of two.

As an experienced optimist: I've only got half left, but If I head to the crowded bar now, there's probably enough in there to keep me going till I get served with the next one.

As a realist: What was last action? Filling or drinking? It's halfway towards whichever direction the level was last headed.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My skin feels good. My gut doesn't. I feel like and think I have a little bug. It doesn't look like it is going to mess up my Saturday watching college football, but it has certainly stopped me from going to the pool this morning to exercise. Fortunately I got in a great workout yesterday afternoon.
Hope you feel better soon, Jim. 🙏

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Two out of three is a good thing, take care of yourself Jim and enjoy the game.:thumbsup:

~doug~

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I just ordered a new brush.

As you may know, I have plenty of excellent brushes. Thus I've become exceedingly selective about new brushes. There are few I'd even consider, but one worth consideration has just become available.

9-11-23,Semogue.LE.3Band.26mm.640..jpeg

This brush is the brand new, just released Semogue 2023 Barbear Português Limited Edition.

It is available at Vintage Scent. Here's a link.

There are several things about the brush which caused me to pull the trigger immediately.
  • The color is Racing Green. What's not to like?
  • The knot is 27 mm. Notice how large the knot looks in the photo. I suspect it is big for a 27 mm fan knot. I like large knots.
  • I have another ⇣ Semogue LE 3 band silvertip ⇩. It is very soft. It also has plenty of backbone, scrub, and flow through. It's a dense silvertip but not too dense. So, I think I know what I'm getting, and have every reason to believe I'll like it.
  • For brushes of this quality, the price is right.
  • As a limited edition, this will sell out quickly. I don't want to miss out.
I tend to prefer good two bands and Manchurians to three band silvertips, but three band silvertips of this quality are great brushes.

2-23-22.SemogueLE3Band.CK-6.Sailor.640.JPG

Assuming the 2023 LE in Racing Green will be much like the 2020 LE in Tortoise, only larger, I'm going to enjoy the newest edition to my brush collection.

(The Tortoise is a lot better looking color in person than it is in my photographs.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It's Tuesday afternoon. Going into my shave I hadn't shaved in maybe 72 hours.

9-12-23.SS-L1+.Mike's.2020LE3Band.640.JPG

The Superslant L1+ did a good job. My whiskers required a good bit of work. The L1+ is a razor which I'd prefer to use about 24 hours after a previous shave.

Still, it was a good shave.

My brush today was the very soft 2020 TSN Semogue LE 3 band silvertip. It is a very good brush. I'd prefer a larger knot.

Racing Green, too, while I'm dreaming.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
On Friday I had another ~70 hour shave.

9-15-23.iKonX3.Mike's.Mozingo.640.JPG

Today I used the iKon X3 slant. It did a great job albeit with more work than I'd do on a daily basis, but that was to be expected. It does have blade feel ATG S-N on my upper lip but the blade feel is not objectionable or uncomfortable. Immediately post shave the shave feels close and smooth. It was a plenty comfortable shave with no drama.

My blade was a flipped Willy's (3).

What a lovely brush! Brett Mozingo did a great job with it.

I believe I left off shea butter last night, but I believe I applied it sometime since my last shower which was probably on Tuesday. (Yes, I've have/had the crud, but I think it's leaving. It's about time!)

Cube/Tube.

Mike's Coconut is a very pleasant scent. His base is outstanding by any standard. Why use anything else?

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
On Friday I had another ~70 hour shave.

View attachment 1718052

Today I used the iKon X3 slant. It did a great job albeit with more work than I'd do on a daily basis, but that was to be expected. It does have blade feel ATG S-N on my upper lip but the blade feel is not objectionable or uncomfortable. Immediately post shave the shave feels close and smooth. It was a plenty comfortable shave with no drama.

My blade was a flipped Willy's (3).

What a lovely brush! Brett Mozingo did a great job with it.

I believe I left off shea butter last night, but I believe I applied it sometime since my last shower which was probably on Tuesday. (Yes, I've have/had the crud, but I think it's leaving. It's about time!)

Cube/Tube.

Mike's Coconut is a very pleasant scent. His base is outstanding by any standard. Why use anything else?

Happy shaves to you,

Jim
Feel better soon, Jim. 🙏

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was quite good.

9-16-23.X3.Mike's.Polo.640.JPG

Once again the iKon X3 was employed to my advantage. It feels and works better with one day's growth instead of three day's growth.

My blade was the flipped Willy's (4).

All of my Mozingo knots are great. That's a fact. It's also true that this brush is simply huge.

Shea butter last night. Cube/Tube this morning.

Dawgs Fry Chicken (meme).jpg

College football begins in a few minutes. Go, Dawgs!

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Top Bottom