What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday my shave was good.

I am still not fully well. Friday was better than yesterday. Today is also better than yesterday so far. All three beat Thursday, but I'm still not clear in my bronchial tubes. My energy is not 100% but it is much improved over Thursday (and Thursday was by no means the nadir).

8-15-21.WR2.1.15.Vitos.Z-Manchurian-Copper.640.JPG

Today's kit included the flipped Wizamet SI blade, and the Cube 2.0 as a shower face soap and as a preshave.

I may use post shave products but have not so far.

The Wolfman WR2 1.15 is a very good razor.

My copper handled Zenith Manchurian is a delightful brush by any standard. It is very soft but also very scrubby. Not a hint of scritch. Obviously the knot has changed considerably over the time I've had it. At this point it would be hard to beat.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday my shave was good.

8-16-21.Wolfman.1.15.Vitos.70:30.640.JPG

This was pretty much my normal shave albeit a little bit hurried. Perhaps a bit too hurried to get the best shave in terms of post shave comfort. My shave feels a tiny bit overdone (half hour after shaving) but I've used no post shave products other than a splash. I was also experimenting a bit with the angle of the razor.

I do not think this knot is going to ever break in. I might consider pulling the knot and raising the loft for a second time. On the other hand, the brush is useable and only a bit pokey. My two other mixed badger/boar brushes are in my opinion more enjoyable (and the brush could be contributory to my skin now feeling a bit overdone).

Coconut Bay Splash. 12-16-20. 640JPG.JPG

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I ended up applying to damp skin some post shave products, about an hour and a half after my shave. By then I had almost no feeling my skin was "overdone," but it still seemed prudent.

HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.CoconutBay.480.12-20.JPG

In that order, left to right.

Sometimes I switch up on the order of application.​

I also noticed, when I applied the white face moisturizer, a single (looking) wild whisker right below my nostrils (in the middle). I used my little electric nose trimmer to get rid of it.

I need to learn to catch all the strays with my Wolfman. As great as the razor is, I find myself skipping spots with it. More than with any other razor I've used I think.

That said, the Wolfman WR 1.15 is a fabulous razor. It has the best post shave of any razor I've used I think. I get very close shaves with it (far closer than I expected). It has that WR2 legendary smooth feel during use. It's a great razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday delivered a good shave.

I am still not 100% recovered (sorry to report this). Working about half time (today from home). Still coughing some, etc. However, compared to a week ago I am much improved by any measure. For one thing, I feel almost normally intelligent again; for a while I felt like my brain was hitting on five cylinders, and I need all twelve. I can shave and shower and walk to the kitchen without stopping to rest, but I need to be working full time and know that's beyond me right now. This crud is really hanging on, but I believe I'm on course to beat it whatever it is.

8-17-21.CH2.TwoBand.WolfmanWR2.1.15.Vitos.640.JPG

The Chubby 2 Silvertip Badger is an incredibly soft two band. I like it well enough but it's not my favorite brush. I prefer a larger brush for one thing. Still, it's worth reaching for when looking for supreme softness (and adequate backbone/scrub).

Today's kit included the Cube 2.0 used in the shower and as a preshave. I've ordered three more of these things as I don't want to run out (or pay shipping). I believe it to be a much better preshave than any I've previously tried and most of those weren't worthless.

The Wolfman WR2 1.15 is a very capable razor. With enough work, and it allows me to do enough work without damaging my skin, I can get a very good, close shave. I'd say it's rather remarkable.

That said, do I next order a WR2 0.95, 1.05, 1.35, or 1.25? I can argue for any of these. Maybe I'll just stick with this one Wolfman?

Applied Brickell last today.​
12-20.the.Beach.Hyaluronic.Acid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

My blade today was a flipped Wizamet SI, going strong.

I feel like my skin is a tad overdone at the moment, but only on the areas I did the most work, and even on those areas not too much. It's only been a few minutes since I shaved (long enough to write this). I'm not complaining and I assume my skin will feel fine in a half hour or so. I did a lot of work today.

All of that begs the question of which Wolfman to buy next (if I buy another). I'm not sure this 1.15 can be beat but there's really no way to be sure without buying others and doing the comparison.

Who knew saving money wet shaving would be so expensive?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Well, as my Uncle Syd used to say, you can go broke buying bargains!
On a more serious note, very glad you're at least somewhat better.

Tuesday delivered a good shave.

I am still not 100% recovered (sorry to report this). Working about half time (today from home). Still coughing some, etc. However, compared to a week ago I am much improved by any measure. For one thing, I feel almost normally intelligent again; for a while I felt like my brain was hitting on five cylinders, and I need all twelve. I can shave and shower and walk to the kitchen without stopping to rest, but I need to be working full time and know that's beyond me right now. This crud is really hanging on, but I believe I'm on course to beat it whatever it is.

View attachment 1313065

The Chubby 2 Silvertip Badger is an incredibly soft two band. I like it well enough but it's not my favorite brush. I prefer a larger brush for one thing. Still, it's worth reaching for when looking for supreme softness (and adequate backbone/scrub).

Today's kit included the Cube 2.0 used in the shower and as a preshave. I've ordered three more of these things as I don't want to run out (or pay shipping). I believe it to be a much better preshave than any I've previously tried and most of those weren't worthless.

The Wolfman WR2 1.15 is a very capable razor. With enough work, and it allows me to do enough work without damaging my skin, I can get a very good, close shave. I'd say it's rather remarkable.

That said, do I next order a WR2 0.95, 1.05, 1.35, or 1.25? I can argue for any of these. Maybe I'll just stick with this one Wolfman?

Applied Brickell last today.​
View attachment 1313074

My blade today was a flipped Wizamet SI, going strong.

I feel like my skin is a tad overdone at the moment, but only on the areas I did the most work, and even on those areas not too much. It's only been a few minutes since I shaved (long enough to write this). I'm not complaining and I assume my skin will feel fine in a half hour or so. I did a lot of work today.

All of that begs the question of which Wolfman to buy next (if I buy another). I'm not sure this 1.15 can be beat but there's really no way to be sure without buying others and doing the comparison.

Who knew saving money wet shaving would be so expensive?

Happy shaves,

Jim
Hi Jim,

Great looking brush. Also glad to hear you are enjoying the WR2 1.15SB. I shaved with mine this morning loaded with a Wizamet and it was terrific. Summertime and the living's easy.

Cheers,

It's Hedley

PS. Hope you are back to 100% soon.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hi Jim,

Great looking brush. Also glad to hear you are enjoying the WR2 1.15SB. I shaved with mine this morning loaded with a Wizamet and it was terrific. Summertime and the living's easy.

Cheers,

It's Hedley

PS. Hope you are back to 100% soon.

Thank you.

Your help in my decision to try the 1.15 was and is much appreciated. Whether I'll try any other Wolfman razors is an open question, as is which one if I do, but I might just stick with the 1.15. I wouldn't say it's anything more than an excellent razor but it is an excellent razor.
  • Smooth feeling during the shave
  • Surprisingly efficient
  • Allows enough work to achieve a very close shave without a bunch of skin damage
I like it more than I thought I would.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thank you.

Your help in my decision to try the 1.15 was and is much appreciated. Whether I'll try any other Wolfman razors is an open question, as is which one if I do, but I might just stick with the 1.15. I wouldn't say it's anything more than an excellent razor but it is an excellent razor.
  • Smooth feeling during the shave
  • Surprisingly efficient
  • Allows enough work to achieve a very close shave without a bunch of skin damage
I like it more than I thought I would.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I'll be posting my newest Wolfman in the next couple of weeks. Maybe it will give you some inspiration.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday. Pretty good shave.

Not today's photo
(couldn't get today's to move to my computer from my phone).

Is today's kit!​
8-3-21.WR2.1.15.CH3.Best.Vitos.640.JPG

Flipped Wizamet SI. The Cube 2.0 as preshave and in the shower.

HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.CoconutBay.480.12-20.JPG

Usual post shave products.​

No complaints (other than still not being fully recovered or quite well).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
8-18-21.WR2.1.15.Vitos.CH3.BestBadger.640.JPG

Today's photo.​

This CH3 in Best Badger has not a hint of scritch or pokiness. It's not especially dense. It is somewhat floppy. Still, it has at least barely adequate scrub. I rather like the knot and I very much like the handle. It's very soft. I think it might actually be Super Badger.

Compared to my other Best Badger, which is in the CH2, this is an entirely different knot. I like both, but they are very much not the same thing. I like the CH3 knot size and handle size a good bit more than the CH2.

I have four Simpson Chubbies and would maybe rank them in this order.
  1. CH3 in Manchurian
  2. CH3 in Best
  3. CH2 in Silvertip Badger (a very very soft two band)
  4. CH2 in Best
I like 'em all. The Manchurian is definitely a cut above, especially in the large size. The other three are very close in my view of them. I definitely prefer the CH3 size to the CH2 size.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Haven't posted here in a while...

Hot shower
Williams Mug Soap with a dollop of Cremo
King C Gillette razor and blade (2)
RR Plissoft Synthetic
Nivea Sensitive Skin AS balm

2 pass with touch-up DFS and super, super comfortable. Not a bit of irritation to be found. Wife got the back of my neck and commented that this set up was better than previous ones. KCG not as efficient as my Merkur 34C or RR GC 68, but it is super comfortable.

Peace.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday my shave was good.

8-19-21.WR2.1.15.CH3Manchurian.Vitos.640.JPG

This Simpson Manchurian is a favorite. It has just a bit of what I call good scritch which disappears when the brush is splayed even a little bit and isn't noticeable when I paint with the brush. It's very scrubby and is similar to my Rudy Vey Manchurians, my Zenith Manchurians, and my Shavemac two bands. I like it a lot.

Other than getting a couple of very minor blood spots on my upper lip (one of which I felt when it happened but didn't think would result in blood), this was a very nice shave. Not perfect. The Wolfman WR2 1.15 is remarkably effective everywhere except my soul patch and my upper lip. Yes, it requires a good bit of work to achieve the close shave it can deliver, but it doesn't hurt my skin to do the necessary work.

However, I would like a better end point on my soul patch.

That said, it's better on my soul patch than most razors, just not quite to the standard I'd prefer it to be. That leads me to think maybe my next Wolfman will be a 1.35. Of course, that's only a thought for today and not a conclusion.

Flipped Wizamet SI. Cube 2.0.

HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.DiverDown.640.6-26-21.JPG

Good stuff. Good shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's shave was pretty good.

8-20-21.Wolfman1.15.CH2.Vitos.640.JPG

The Cube 2.0 in the shower to wash my face
The Tube 2.0 as a preshave

Wizamet SI, flipped​

I'd like the razor to be even more efficient and more able to truly smooth my soul patch. It is however remarkably efficient compare to other razors considering how smooth it feels and how little damage it does to my skin.

I'm leaning towards a 1.35 next time.

Post shave I used these products...
  • hyaluronic acid​
  • Brickell Face Moisturizer​
  • PAA splash (free sample of a "coming soon" product) called Strange Island; liked it okay but I prefer stronger scents; might buy it when it comes out but probably won't​
I looked at the PAA website and found the splash is available now.

Pretty good shave. Did get a couple of blood spots on my chin. Overdoing stuff so my fault.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom