What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Peaky Blinders is what I'm waiting for -- what a wild cliff hanger last season was!

A good while back I watched a chunk of Peaky Blinders and liked it very much in some ways, but it became too violent for me. Too violent for me is a stretch.

Yes, I have Acorn TV and also (recently) Britbox. Lots of options.

I am really tired of whatever this illness is.

Happy shaves,

Jim

A good while back I watched a chunk of Peaky Blinders and liked it very much in some ways, but it became too violent for me. Too violent for me is a stretch.

Yes, I have Acorn TV and also (recently) Britbox. Lots of options.

I am really tired of whatever this illness is.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Agreed, a friend suggested I watch Deadwood and the violence in that one made Peaky Blinders look like prom night.

Just hope whatever you've got isn't something serious.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Hoping you’re feeling better soon, Jim.

With BritBox and Acorn (I daren’t subscribe to either), you might learn that Billy Riddoch and Ian McNiece are two, separate people much sooner than I.

Agreed, a friend suggested I watch Deadwood and the violence in that one made Peaky Blinders look like prom night.

deadwood.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today, Saturday, I used the kit I took photos of and planned to use on Wednesday. I've not shaved since maybe Tuesday.

8-7-21.WR2.1.15.Rave'sManchurian.Vitos.640.JPG

Also used a flipped Wizamet SI blade and the Cube 2.0.

Got a pretty good shave.

No post shave products so far.

Still not recovered but not worse either. Hanging in. At least I managed a shower and a shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Today, Saturday, I used the kit I took photos of and planned to use on Wednesday. I've not shaved since maybe Tuesday.

View attachment 1308299

Also used a flipped Wizamet SI blade and the Cube 2.0.

Got a pretty good shave.

No post shave products so far.

Still not recovered but not worse either. Hanging in. At least I managed a shower and a shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Praying that you are back at 100% soon. 🙏

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I can't offer pics today Jim, as the vision is a bit erratic at the moment. I'll try to paint it with words though...

If you imagine cutting off just the bevels from a blade, and no more, that would be the maximum width you could make a shim. This would be the best shim width replicate the support on something like a Fatip Grande, where the full unbevelled width of the blade is normally sat flush on the baseplate. Using a narrower shim, would potentially offer less support, and not be a true representation of what the baseplate would be, if produced to offer a different gap.

Conversely, picture a blade on a Jagger/Muhle/Merkur baseplate. The blade overhangs the support "rails" somewhat. If you used a shim that was wider than the rails, it would potentially offer more support than would be offered by taller rails. Again, not giving a true represantation of what a baseplate produced to give a higher gap would shave like. On this razor, the shim would have to be cut narrower, in order to best mimic the rail support span.

I hope that makes a bit more sense.

Just now I examined the four Feather shims which came to me with the Wolfman I purchased second hand.

I put each of the four into the razor, without an actual blade, one at a time.

In my view all the shims are larger than ideal (as you defined it). One is only a little bit too large. The others are larger.

Obviously all this begs the question of how much it matters in terms of the experiment. The razor's previous owner used these vary same shims to determine what gap he would order when his order reached the top of the waiting list. He reports great satisfaction with his choice which has got to mean the shims did a reasonably good job for him.

Other questions revolve around whether I could modify the shims I have or make new shims which would be perfect or anywhere close to perfect for purposes of determining which gap I want to order in the Wolfman WR2. I know how to make shims of course but that's not the same as knowing how to make really good shims. Plus I see the whole shim making business as dangerous, tedious, haphazard, and hit or miss in results.

I'm going to go with the best of the four shims I have (to simulate the 1.25) and give it a few shaves.

I like the 1.15 a lot. Of course that doesn't tell me whether I'd like the 1.05 or the 0.95 better nor anything about the higher gaps.

In terms of being gentle on my skin, the WR2 1.15 would be very hard to beat. My only issues with it are issues of efficiency. Overall, the 1.15 is a lot more efficient than I would have thought it would be. However, it's not the very best of my razors for shaving my upper lip and the area right under my nostrils. It also requires a lot of work to smooth my soul patch.

All that said, the fact is the 1.15 does a better job with my soul patch than just about any other razor I can stand using. I believe I can learn to better use it under my nose.

Would the 1.25 be better? It's hard to know.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today's shave continued ⬇ This Experiment ⬇

Just now I examined the four Feather shims which came to me with the Wolfman I purchased second hand.

I put each of the four into the razor, without an actual blade, one at a time.

In my view all the shims are larger than ideal (as you defined it). One is only a little bit too large. The others are larger.

Obviously all this begs the question of how much it matters in terms of the experiment. The razor's previous owner used these vary same shims to determine what gap he would order when his order reached the top of the waiting list. He reports great satisfaction with his choice which has got to mean the shims did a reasonably good job for him.

Other questions revolve around whether I could modify the shims I have or make new shims which would be perfect or anywhere close to perfect for purposes of determining which gap I want to order in the Wolfman WR2. I know how to make shims of course but that's not the same as knowing how to make really good shims. Plus I see the whole shim making business as dangerous, tedious, haphazard, and hit or miss in results.

I'm going to go with the best of the four shims I have (to simulate the 1.25) and give it a few shaves.

I like the 1.15 a lot. Of course that doesn't tell me whether I'd like the 1.05 or the 0.95 better nor anything about the higher gaps.

In terms of being gentle on my skin, the WR2 1.15 would be very hard to beat. My only issues with it are issues of efficiency. Overall, the 1.15 is a lot more efficient than I would have thought it would be. However, it's not the very best of my razors for shaving my upper lip and the area right under my nostrils. It also requires a lot of work to smooth my soul patch.

All that said, the fact is the 1.15 does a better job with my soul patch than just about any other razor I can stand using. I believe I can learn to better use it under my nose.

Would the 1.25 be better? It's hard to know.

Today I added my best shim to the mix, to simulate the 1.25.

8-8-21.RV-Pure.WR2(with a shim-1.25).Vitos.640.JPG

The blade was a flipped Wizamet SE. I used the Cube 2.0 as a preshave and in the shower to wash my face.

I can't say I noticed a huge difference today from my recent 1.15 shaves. Maybe a bit more blade feel but I certainly mean maybe and not that I'm entirely sure.

No post shave products have been used so far.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom