What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I know how to make shims of course but that's not the same as knowing how to make really good shims.

Put a blade in, do one pass, but don't rinse the razor. Leave the lather on to dry, and finish your shave with an alternate razor and blade. The next day, there'll be a clear line between the soap scum on the part of the blade that overhung the support, and the clean area that was sat flush on the rails

That dividing line is where to cut, and you'll have a shim more or less the perfect width. Once you have one the right width, trimming others is easier, and you won't need to do the part shave thing again.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
⬇ Interesting way to make shims for Wolfman WR2 experiments...⬇

Put a blade in, do one pass, but don't rinse the razor. Leave the lather on to dry, and finish your shave with an alternate razor and blade. The next day, there'll be a clear line between the soap scum on the part of the blade that overhung the support, and the clean area that was sat flush on the rails

That dividing line is where to cut, and you'll have a shim more or less the perfect width. Once you have one the right width, trimming others is easier, and you won't need to do the part shave thing again.

Great idea, Al.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave was good.

8-9-21.1.25.Kit..JPG

Cube 2.0
Wizamet flipped

One shim to simulate the 1.25.​
12-20.ClasicoBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

Pretty good shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday my experiment continued.

8-10-21.WR2(shim-to-1.25).RV-E-R.Manchurian.640.JPG

Again one shim was used in an attempt to simulate the WR2 1.25.

Apologies for being a mother hen AGAIN but how are you feeling Jim?

Neil, I'm going to work, but my schedule has been very curtailed. Yesterday I managed about a half day and was beyond exhausted about an hour into the day. In other words, I'm still not recovered. I felt worse yesterday though than I probably was.

I'm attempting the same today. I might be feeling a bit better but still very low energy, etc.

I think I've had and have a common bronchitis. I think I'm somewhat improved. I'd prefer to be asleep. A number of people I know have the same sort of stuff I seem to have; it's weird to have a respiratory cluster in the summer don't you know, but here we are.

5-10-20.RR'sCarribeanHoliday.HyaluronicAcid.480.JPG

Flipped Wizamet SI

Cube 2.0

Good shave.​
HyaluronicAcidForFaces.480.jpg

Having had similar illnesses (like everyone else) over the years, I'm pretty sure I'll survive this one and return to my usual state of great health.

Soon would be good, but that's not usually how recovery works.

The (simulated) 1.25 is a bit more efficient than the 1.15, but it also feels like "a bit much" post shave.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Please heal from your bronchial woes and wolf nips soon.

If you get back into your straight razors, maybe take the battery out of your cell phone and unplug your wire lines as part of the pre-shave ritual.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Please heal from your bronchial woes and wolf nips soon.

If you get back into your straight razors, maybe take the battery out of your cell phone and unplug your wire as part of the pre-shave ritual.

Other than today's mess up my shave den is silent during my shaves. No music. No tv. Nobody talking to me. Maybe the sound of running water sometimes but that's it.

I knew better but broke my rule for a call I wanted to take (and knew I shouldn't).

I'm still not well (and not all that close to well) but I definitely feel at least a bit better (today and yesterday). Still, I'd rather be at home sleep watching tv than at the office. As long as I don't move (physically) I feel half decent. Any movement shows me how low my energy is.

My cough and respiratory symptoms are a lot better!

I'm grateful for everyone's well wishes and for all signs of improvement.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Here’s hoping you’re feeling more spry today and not reopening boo-boos.

For the first time (today I mean) I feel a lot better.

That doesn't mean I feel well yet, but there's been a big improvement overnight. I can move about some without feeling like death warmed over. The sickness may not be gone, but I feel more well than sick.

8-12-21.WR2.1.15.Vitos.Mistura.640JPG.JPG

Same kit as yesterday. Flipped the blade.

Was in a time crunch to get to work.​

I have an intentionally light schedule and am working from home and was only trying to get a quick, decent enough shave. I succeeded in that, but then cut my finger rinsing the razor.

No post shave products except I used a splash an hour after shaving because I wanted a bit of scent.​
Coconut Bay Splash. 12-16-20. 640JPG.JPG

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom