What's new

Cycling 2018

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Hoping you heal quickly. I don't know how old you are but us old farts don't heal and bounce back as quickly as we used to. In July 2017 I was riding on the local single track for the first time in a very very very long time. I had been riding on the road and came up with the brilliant thought that I should give the mountain bike a run. I had also gained a fair amount of weight since the last time I had ridden in there. As soon as I got onto the trail, a trail I had ridden many many many times before, I was immediately taken with how off balance I felt and how foreign the whole experience felt. But I pressed on and was actually getting the hang of it again, going at an extremely slow pace. I went to a point where I began to realize that I would have to climb back up to get home and saw how out of shape I was. So I decided to turn around about a quarter of the distance I used to go. On my way back I dipped down into a very small little dried creek bed and for some unbeknownst reason I didn't get my tire up out of it and I went over the handlebars in what appeared to me to be slow motion. But it wasn't slow enough for me to be able to do something about my legs, which both came down on something. Either the bike or rocks or both. My head and upper body was fine. But my front left shin and my right side calf area immediately began to swell up. And they didn't stop swelling. I went to the hospital for x rays and nothing broken. But I suffered from massive swelling in both lower legs for months. And then just as they were beginning to heal, I was at a party in someone's backyard the night before the super bowl and tripped over something, went down and reinjured one of the legs. So, it's now been about a year and every now and then when the weather is nice, meaning above 60, I'll get out on the road bike and go for a ride. But nothing consistent. Anyway, feel better. And don't rush it. Make sure you're healed before you jump back into it. And when you do, take it slowly.

I keep forgetting I'm 57. I really only started riding again 3 years ago, probably for the first time I've been on a bike in 15 years or more. I also grew up near Chicago and then lived in the Florida Keys before moving
to Tennessee, so I'm really not used to hills and speeds. When I get back on I will be getting rid of the clipless pedals and stay with mountain bike pedals, I feel more confident with quick stops with them much more than the SPD's I've been using, Also will not be trying or any speed records unless it's a long straight run, other than that nothing over 5 mph in my future. I'd rather take 4 hours to go 30 miles than go 15 in one hour and then spend a few hours at the hospital!

thanks for telling me your story!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
well, this year is off to a bad start for me. I was riding my new bike on a bike path, when I hit a small patch of mud. The rear wheel started to skid out and I thought I was going down on my right side, then, the tire grabbed hold and whipped me over on my left side. Hit the ground hard, cracked my helmet in 3 places and broke my collarbone. Looks like I'll be out of action until around April.

Be safe out there everyone.
Man, that just sucks.

My son busted his collar bone, broke his helmet, had a plate inserted in the collar bone. Surgeon did a great job.

It turned me into a believer in helmets on bicycles!

Pray that you heal well my friend. Ugh.

well, this year is off to a bad start for me. I was riding my new bike on a bike path, when I hit a small patch of mud. The rear wheel started to skid out and I thought I was going down on my right side, then, the tire grabbed hold and whipped me over on my left side. Hit the ground hard, cracked my helmet in 3 places and broke my collarbone. Looks like I'll be out of action until around April.

I have broken several bones in my life, but none hurt as much as breaking my collar bone. I feel your pain! Speedy recovery to you and I hope your pedaling soon.

I thought I would mention to all posting on this old thread that someone recently started a new thread to move on from Cycling 2018 (it has been two years after all). The new thread...

Belated congrats on the new bike? Sorry to hear you are having some rough times with biking. Hope the recovery is swift and you get back to rolling soon.

Here's my ride. Gios Compact Pro (steel) (is real) Can't wait for warmer weather to get out and soak in some vitamin D. First pic is the latest. Grip tape is yellow now. Shimano 105 components. Got her in the early 90s - shipped to Japan.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sorry to hear that. Happens in an instant, doesn’t it? I went OTB on a mountain bike pedal strike a few weeks ago, but had a soft landing. I separated my shoulder in 2016, though. You’ll be riding again soon!

I thought I would mention to all posting on this old thread that someone recently started a new thread to move on from Cycling 2018 (it has been two years after all). The new thread...

I will mention it again... there is a newer, updated cycling thread to get away from 2018. Just sayin, 2018 was so like last decade.

30 mile round trip for breakfast tacos and beer with a buddy of mine. I left the '76 Motobecane at home and took my 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid out for a spin. Outbound into a 20-25 NNW wind, but the return leg was an easy spin.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The last thing I bought was a bicycle. It was one of the best purchases in my life. I don't understand why I haven't done this before. It's so cool, just get on your bike and go wherever you want. You can take friends with you and go to the forest, or to the park, or just ride around the city. It is also very convenient, because where I always went on foot, now I ride a bike, and it's very fast. Now I can get to the supermarket in 5 minutes, although I used to go 20 minutes. Very cool thing.

Top Bottom