What's new

Cycling 2018

36BCFA18-5007-445A-8FF6-AF2FA2FCC13B.png
6228A667-A683-4C21-8A22-ABFEDCD17F85.jpeg

Holy cats! First time at my local offroad bike park on my new full suspension bike. Would have easily PRd every segment and the entire trail if not for getting caught by a hellacious thunderstorm. The new bike makes a joke of the climbs and smooths out the roots and rocks that my old 26” hardtail got jittery over. Almost too easy. Unfortunately, we might be done for the summer here, due to the onset of summer rain. I have never ridden my mtb in that intense a thunderstorm.

20 miles this morning on my 1974 Motobecane Grand Touring with a midway pit stop for some cold brew coffee. It was gray, muggy, and windy. This 45 year old bike creaks as much as its 52 year old rider, but that steel frame is so smoooooooth...
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

View attachment 987642 View attachment 987643
Holy cats! First time at my local offroad bike park on my new full suspension bike. Would have easily PRd every segment and the entire trail if not for getting caught by a hellacious thunderstorm. The new bike makes a joke of the climbs and smooths out the roots and rocks that my old 26” hardtail got jittery over. Almost too easy. Unfortunately, we might be done for the summer here, due to the onset of summer rain. I have never ridden my mtb in that intense a thunderstorm.

That looks like the open pavilion at Caloosahatchee. Are those wheels 29" or 27.5"?

That is CRP! And, unfortunately, the new bike hasn’t been back due to very soggy conditions. Trek Fuel EX7 has 29” wheels. Way more rubber than on the 26” Motobecane. The recent focus has been on the road with a triathlon this Saturday.
20B7457A-4A68-485A-97A6-8CEFD3150086.png
The road bike got washed up this weekend!

Caloosahatchee Regional Park has reopened after the rainy season. Back out there this morning for the first time since the soaking! The trails are in great shape!

26 miles yesterday in a 15-25mph north wind and 55 degrees F yesterday. It was pretty brisk near the water. I took the 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring out. 50 miles total this weekend.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Been riding now for just over a year. I started out with an Amazon $239.00 Vilano to see if I even liked it. I gotta say it's a good bike. It's built like a tank and pretty much weighs about what you you expect for that. I put 4000 miles on it and that was convincing enough to know I liked riding OK. I've got about 500 miles on my new Bianchi and it's faster then I'll ever be. In the winter I cut back to 30 miles every other day and the cold temps here in NC lately have been a challenge but I stay off the real fast downhills and once I'm warmed up it's not bad.

Thst’s pretty much the way I started road cycling in 2015: $400 Motobecane followed by a Specialized Roubaix in 2017.

We went out for a 50 miler today and flatted 3 times in 22 miles. We gave up and grabbed brunch after running out of spare tubes. We will now carry two spares each on longer rides.

After being reluctant to ride at anything but bike parks since fracturing both wrists in May, I finally decided to get back in the saddle and bought this Trek Checkpoint ALR5. I took it for a 32 mile trip this afternoon. Felt good to be back on some pavement again.
checkpoint.jpg

Nice bike! Many safe miles to ya!

I’ll add that the Roubaix got new rubber today: 25mm Conti Grand Prix 5000s. They feel quicker than the Specialized Turbo Pros that I had 3,000 miles on, but I will be more cautious when cornering.

@JCoyle: any chance we’ll see a photo of that Bianchi??

Nice bike! Many safe miles to ya!

I’ll add that the Roubaix got new rubber today: 25mm Conti Grand Prix 5000s. They feel quicker than the Specialized Turbo Pros that I had 3,000 miles on, but I will be more cautious when cornering.

@JCoyle: any chance we’ll see a photo of that Bianchi??

I like the Conti road tires. I have the Grand Prix 4000 on my Motobecane Sprintour.
After being reluctant to ride at anything but bike parks since fracturing both wrists in May, I finally decided to get back in the saddle and bought this Trek Checkpoint ALR5. I took it for a 32 mile trip this afternoon. Felt good to be back on some pavement again.View attachment 1044021

Nice ride. Nice way to christen a new bike.

Really nice! My wife purchased the Roubaix for me for my birthday, partly because I mentioned how I liked the Bianchi color while watching Tour de France a few months earlier.

Thanks, yeah for some reason they call it Celeste Blue? Looks green to me but I like that color just fine. It weighs just a little over half what the Vilano weighs so that of course makes a difference but the gearing is so much better suited to riding. I picked up over a full MPH in average on the same routes.

The Conti GP 5000s roll really nice. I am coming from three sets of Specialized Turbo Pros (28mm, 26 mm, and 24 mm). The Turbo Pros are really sticky in the corners, but I like the decreased rolling resistance of these Contis. And they corner just fine.

well, this year is off to a bad start for me. I was riding my new bike on a bike path, when I hit a small patch of mud. The rear wheel started to skid out and I thought I was going down on my right side, then, the tire grabbed hold and whipped me over on my left side. Hit the ground hard, cracked my helmet in 3 places and broke my collarbone. Looks like I'll be out of action until around April.

Be safe out there everyone.

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Hoping you heal quickly. I don't know how old you are but us old farts don't heal and bounce back as quickly as we used to. In July 2017 I was riding on the local single track for the first time in a very very very long time. I had been riding on the road and came up with the brilliant thought that I should give the mountain bike a run. I had also gained a fair amount of weight since the last time I had ridden in there. As soon as I got onto the trail, a trail I had ridden many many many times before, I was immediately taken with how off balance I felt and how foreign the whole experience felt. But I pressed on and was actually getting the hang of it again, going at an extremely slow pace. I went to a point where I began to realize that I would have to climb back up to get home and saw how out of shape I was. So I decided to turn around about a quarter of the distance I used to go. On my way back I dipped down into a very small little dried creek bed and for some unbeknownst reason I didn't get my tire up out of it and I went over the handlebars in what appeared to me to be slow motion. But it wasn't slow enough for me to be able to do something about my legs, which both came down on something. Either the bike or rocks or both. My head and upper body was fine. But my front left shin and my right side calf area immediately began to swell up. And they didn't stop swelling. I went to the hospital for x rays and nothing broken. But I suffered from massive swelling in both lower legs for months. And then just as they were beginning to heal, I was at a party in someone's backyard the night before the super bowl and tripped over something, went down and reinjured one of the legs. So, it's now been about a year and every now and then when the weather is nice, meaning above 60, I'll get out on the road bike and go for a ride. But nothing consistent. Anyway, feel better. And don't rush it. Make sure you're healed before you jump back into it. And when you do, take it slowly.

Top Bottom