What's new

Curious about my Khaki set

I don't have the Gillette collector's guide, so I'm just wondering who has the scoop on the Khaki set. The razor in mine is silver and has a patent date of 1904. The Khaki case is a bit worn, but the razor and blade box are really pretty nice. Valuable? Or just a neat collection piece?

Patent date is Nov. 15, '04 and the Serial number appears to begin with "F". Any idea what that indicates?

The number on mine starts with a G, and the underside says "PROPERTY US ARMY".
It may be that all "J"s are military, but not all military razors are "J"s.

perhaps you are correct... kind of like a frogs vs toads thing. Well learn something new every day. Your razor also silver or is it nickel?

To the best of my knowledge, J was only used on razors made and issued directly to the military and not retailed. However, not only J was used for military issue as retail razors were also shipped dure to demand. Most of the earlier razors (pulled from overstock) where with "PROPERTY US ARMY" but again not all.
I have my Grandfather's from WWI and it is F.
Confused yet...:confused: :lol::lol:

That helps Ray....my kit looks to be original. I don't think anyone stuck the wrong razor in it. I'm keeping it for now, but if I decide to unload it, I don't want to misrepresent it. What should the kit be worth if it's in good, yet used condition?

Is it safe to assume that the more "mint" the Khaki kit, the more valuable it is? I'm wondering if actually being used by a troop would make it more valuable to some.

What's your razor in a khaki set? I have a couple khaki sets that have Bulldogs in them.

The Military sets had Bulldogs in them as pictured in Krumholz' book. Those came with brush & soap canisters along with blade boxes. If you've got one of those I'd love to see a pic. :drool:

Scott, I was under the impression that the complete sets with a Bulldog were officers sets.
The Khaki sets were enlisted men and where razor, blade tin and mirror?

The Military sets had Bulldogs in them as pictured in Krumholz' book. Those came with brush & soap canisters along with blade boxes. If you've got one of those I'd love to see a pic. :drool:

Here is a picture of the military sets from Mr. Razor's web site
proxy.php

Very nice Achim.
I recall seeing one on eBay some time back that was almost mint condition except for the barrel split on the razor. It still went for big $.

Top Bottom