What's new

Cross Country Move! Need advice.

No, I haven't seen any of the new ones. Doesn't Nintendo own the rights to Sega/Genesis now?

I don't know about that. I just know that there are about five characters that each look identical to Sonic except for their color. I was disappointed since I grew up playing Sonic on the only game system I had until I was old enough to buy one for myself. I had a Sega Game Gear. It was a hand held, and it smoked GameBoy at the time because the Sega had a color screen. I think that thing is still packed away somewhere in all my junk back in GA.

So Adam, how's the trip planning going?

I still haven't decided whether to use I-40 or I-10/I-20. I have people I want to stop and see on both routes, so I'm still in a pickle.

Since he is post doping, I'd say pretty good.

Don't worry, Ray. You really will catch up with me and surpass me in the coming weeks. I'm just winding down at work and don't have too much on my plate right now since I'm leaving.

Don't worry, Ray. You really will catch up with me and surpass me in the coming weeks. I'm just winding down at work and don't have too much on my plate right now since I'm leaving.

I know what you mean. Enjoy it. Make the most of of your last few days there, and don't stress out too much over it.

I am trying to understand why you want to leave Montana. :blink:

It is my dream to move beack there. In my opinion it is the best place to live in the country.

I am trying to understand why you want to leave Montana. :blink:

It is my dream to move beack there. In my opinion it is the best place to live in the country.

Don't get me wrong, I do love Montana. The thing is, I'm from the south, my family's in the south, and I miss it. I've really missed getting to see my little niece grow up over the past couple of years.

Then there's this whole winter thing. -30 is just cold. Now, I've come to learn to deal with the cold pretty well. I've also come to learn that two feet of snow is kind of hard to travel around in, but I've learned to deal with that as well. The problem is, when it is -30 out, there's a foot or two of snow on the ground already, there's more snow falling, and you have to drive 250-300 miles from eastern Montana, through the mountains in Bozeman, over to Helena. That all makes me want to live somewhere with more forgiving winters.

Honestly, though, if I lived closer to decent amenities and didn't have to drive 30 miles to get groceries, I'd probably never leave. If I had spent the past year in Bozeman, I'm sure I would have been persuaded to become a permanent fixture here. What with all the mountain biking, fishing, and rafting in the summer and skiing in the winter.

As a matter of fact, I applied for a couple of jobs in the Bozeman area. The one in South Carolina was offered, though, and I took it. In this economy, I would have worked pretty much anywhere, but I'm happy to be headed home (or there abouts). You can be sure, though, unless you farm cattle, eastern Montana is one of the most boring places on earth.

Don't get me wrong, I do love Montana. The thing is, I'm from the south, my family's in the south, and I miss it. I've really missed getting to see my little niece grow up over the past couple of years.

Then there's this whole winter thing. -30 is just cold. Now, I've come to learn to deal with the cold pretty well. I've also come to learn that two feet of snow is kind of hard to travel around in, but I've learned to deal with that as well. The problem is, when it is -30 out, there's a foot or two of snow on the ground already, there's more snow falling, and you have to drive 250-300 miles from eastern Montana, through the mountains in Bozeman, over to Helena. That all makes me want to live somewhere with more forgiving winters.

Honestly, though, if I lived closer to decent amenities and didn't have to drive 30 miles to get groceries, I'd probably never leave. If I had spent the past year in Bozeman, I'm sure I would have been persuaded to become a permanent fixture here. What with all the mountain biking, fishing, and rafting in the summer and skiing in the winter.

As a matter of fact, I applied for a couple of jobs in the Bozeman area. The one in South Carolina was offered, though, and I took it. In this economy, I would have worked pretty much anywhere, but I'm happy to be headed home (or there abouts). You can be sure, though, unless you farm cattle, eastern Montana is one of the most boring places on earth.

Hey, Adam, do you hear that? Why yes I do! I believe it's the world's saddest song on the world's smallest violin.

proxy.php

Hey, Adam, do you hear that? Why yes I do! I believe it's the world's saddest song on the world's smallest violin.

proxy.php

FWIW the community I live in has averaged 1 death per week due to icy roads, and this town has a population of less than 3,000. On top of that, people here think it's fun to get drunk and pass out in the snow. The human body wasn't designed to survive -30 throughout a whole night. I don't know how many people have frozen to death here. Winter is a very sad time here.

FWIW the community I live in has averaged 1 death per week due to icy roads, and this town has a population of less than 3,000. On top of that, people here think it's fun to get drunk and pass out in the snow. The human body wasn't designed to survive -30 throughout a whole night. I don't know how many people have frozen to death here. Winter is a very sad time here.

Seriously? One death per week?

No joke. Since the weekend before Christmas, I can think of 6 deaths in this community alone related to auto accidents.

Well that is depressing.

Anyway, I can understand the attraction of wanting to be somewhat close to home. Just be glad you found something.

Well that is depressing.

Anyway, I can understand the attraction of wanting to be somewhat close to home. Just be glad you found something.

I am. I would've taken a job in the Arctic Circle in this economy. As a matter of fact, if this place in SC wouldn't have called back I was actually getting stuff together to apply for a position in Fairbanks, AK.

By the way, I now regret taking this thread to negative town like that. I just wanted to explain that winters are particularly tough where I am now. In retrospect, I realize I could have done that in a less depressing way. :blush: Sorry 'bout that.

I was just teasing a little about leaving Montana. I lived in Billings for years and my wife is from Anaconda so we both love the state.

If I remember, Lame Deer is by Busby, Crow Agency and Hardin. I would find it a little tough to live there.

Enjoy South Carolina.

I was just teasing a little about leaving Montana. I lived in Billings for years and my wife is from Anaconda so we both love the state.

If I remember, Lame Deer is by Busby, Crow Agency and Hardin. I would find it a little tough to live there.

Enjoy South Carolina.

Lame Deer is about 20 miles east of Busby. It is a little tough to live here sometimes. It's just so isolated, and the economy here on the reservation is in such dire circumstances. I don't regret this past year at all, but I would have a hard time living here permanently. And even with all of that, the land out here is still beautiful, and I have LOVED getting acquainted with the culture here on the reservation. I've met some incredible people out here. Montana will always have a little piece of me. I'll be back to visit/play for sure. Who knows, I may still end up living back up here at some point.

Adam
Sorry to reply so late, I've been off for a while. I can give a little input here fwiw if you don't mind my re-hijacking your thread.:001_smile When we drove out here from NY in 2001, it was I-80 for just about the whole trip. I-90 from Syracuse to Chicago where we visited family for a couple days, then south to pick up I-80 for the rest of the way to Reno. Since we made the drive in October, snow wasn't an issue, but if we had waited another week, it would have been. We stayed a night in Rawlins Wyoming and between Rawlins and Utah, we saw a sign that read "HEAVY SNOW WHEN FLASHING, RETURN TO RAWLINS". Fortunately, it wasn't flashing. We later learned that we missed a storm by just a few days. I would guess that at this time of year, seeing that sign with lights flashing could be more of a possibility. Check the weather forecasts. If you have to stay an extra day in Rawlins, that's not so bad. We thought it was a nice place.
From Reno westward over the Sierras at this time of year can be unpredictable. It could be pretty nice in Reno while just an hour to the west (and 4,000 feet higher) there can be brutal storms, again with flashing signs saying "CHAINS REQUIRED". If your vehicle is 4WD you won't have to pull over and install chains. Also, NDOT is very good about keeping this pass clear and sanded (The ski resorts depend on this traffic) Again, keep up with the weather & traffic reports. We have made this drive a couple times between November and March and haven't had much problem. I also have a Toyota pickup...1990 with almost 200K. It's just getting broken in.:thumbup1:
Good luck and safe journey! Hope this was helpful.

Adam
Sorry to reply so late, I've been off for a while. I can give a little input here fwiw if you don't mind my re-hijacking your thread.:001_smile When we drove out here from NY in 2001, it was I-80 for just about the whole trip. I-90 from Syracuse to Chicago where we visited family for a couple days, then south to pick up I-80 for the rest of the way to Reno. Since we made the drive in October, snow wasn't an issue, but if we had waited another week, it would have been. We stayed a night in Rawlins Wyoming and between Rawlins and Utah, we saw a sign that read "HEAVY SNOW WHEN FLASHING, RETURN TO RAWLINS". Fortunately, it wasn't flashing. We later learned that we missed a storm by just a few days. I would guess that at this time of year, seeing that sign with lights flashing could be more of a possibility. Check the weather forecasts. If you have to stay an extra day in Rawlins, that's not so bad. We thought it was a nice place.
From Reno westward over the Sierras at this time of year can be unpredictable. It could be pretty nice in Reno while just an hour to the west (and 4,000 feet higher) there can be brutal storms, again with flashing signs saying "CHAINS REQUIRED". If your vehicle is 4WD you won't have to pull over and install chains. Also, NDOT is very good about keeping this pass clear and sanded (The ski resorts depend on this traffic) Again, keep up with the weather & traffic reports. We have made this drive a couple times between November and March and haven't had much problem. I also have a Toyota pickup...1990 with almost 200K. It's just getting broken in.:thumbup1:
Good luck and safe journey! Hope this was helpful.

Thanks so much for the input! I'm hoping (praying, really) we can miss too much snow somehow. I'll be sure to keep a close eye on the weather.

Just saw the link in your sig. I don't travel the highways much so I can't give you any info on that, but I think I can ask people I know and get back to you.
As far as the weather goes, this winter has been pretty mild SO FAR. This could all change with a single storm if it comes in over the lake. If I have a more exact date I can monitor the road conditions and the weather for you.

Just saw the link in your sig. I don't travel the highways much so I can't give you any info on that, but I think I can ask people I know and get back to you.
As far as the weather goes, this winter has been pretty mild SO FAR. This could all change with a single storm if it comes in over the lake. If I have a more exact date I can monitor the road conditions and the weather for you.

Hey, thanks, man. We'll be leaving Denver and heading to somewhere in the vicinity of Salt Lake on Monday (Jan. 18th). It is supposed to be a little warmer than winters usually are here in Montana for the next 10 days or so, and there is no notable precipitation in the forecast. I hope it's the same in your area.

Top Bottom